Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which led light?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which led light?

Hello,
    I am needing some advice for my new light. I am doing an owner build and ready for the light. originally I want the Pentair Intellibrite 5G 601001 model number i believe in color. Looking on Amazon, the reviews are terrible. I thought I would go to the local pool stores and ask them. Here is my responses

ekonomy pool on costco drive in tucson. they are Pentair sponsored, they couldnt believe that the light wasnt getting good reviews. I decided to price one just for reference. Cost was $1100. The salesman, then told me that, "the way Pentair products work, Pentair takes their best lights and gives them to stores like mine, then sell the "seconds" to all the online pool distribution centers. also they could install the light for an additional $350" I asked if they could get any other type of light, he stated "I can get Hayward" but when they change styles of lights, you can not get parts for anything older that 2 years"
    All of this may be true...I do not know.

Lislie pools on Ina road, Ask the same questions. this salesman stated Hayward and Pentair are the best, but that he sales 80% Pentair. we looked up the light, he had the plain white light, for around $350, the LED color was $750.

What is everyone opinion? Pentair? Hayword? something else?

thank you
    13,150 gallon IG Pool, Pentair VS pump, Pentair sand filter, Pentair ICHLOR 30 SWG ( CL for now)/TF-100 test kit +speedstir, S200 Dolphin Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which led light?

I will give a shout out to the people I ask these kinds of questions. Hold on a bit while they get back to you.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I will say stay away from Jandy nichless less. Unless you like changing lights once a year.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hello,
    I was scanning the past posts and found this guy.

He and i had several conversations, he suggested the Pentair Amerlite, with a LED color changing blub and a steal niche.

Patrick also sent me a video on why plastic niche break.

He works for INYOpools.com Do we get a discount through TFP?
    Last edited by justinS; 03-06-2018 at 09:33 AM. Reason: adding info
    13,150 gallon IG Pool, Pentair VS pump, Pentair sand filter, Pentair ICHLOR 30 SWG ( CL for now)/TF-100 test kit +speedstir, S200 Dolphin Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Hello Justin - That was an interesting tale you were told by the local pool store. There are no differences between the lights sold through an internet company and a traditional pool store. I've worked for both and can tell you that everyone gets the same stuff from the same distributors.

Pentair and Hayward both make quality lights. If you have a control system by Hayward, I would go with a Hayward light. If you have a Pentair control system, go with a Pentair light. I say that because you have more options as far as programming the lights. The downside for those lights is when they go bad, you have to replace the led module or the complete fixture. The modules will cost almost as much as a complete light fixture.

Another option is the Pureline LED lights. These are nice because the LED bulb can be easily replaced if it ever goes bad. The replacement bulbs run $99-$150. That is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of fixing/replacing other LED lights.

6. Back To Top    #6

Too funny! HE is who I sent the PM to!

Yes. It should have been with the email about becoming a supporting member. Go here: CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! to see your discount!
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by InyoRob View Post
    Hello Justin - That was an interesting tale you were told by the local pool store. There are no differences between the lights sold through an internet company and a traditional pool store. I've worked for both and can tell you that everyone gets the same stuff from the same distributors.

Pentair and Hayward both make quality lights. If you have a control system by Hayward, I would go with a Hayward light. If you have a Pentair control system, go with a Pentair light. I say that because you have more options as far as programming the lights. The downside for those lights is when they go bad, you have to replace the led module or the complete fixture. The modules will cost almost as much as a complete light fixture.

Another option is the Pureline LED lights. These are nice because the LED bulb can be easily replaced if it ever goes bad. The replacement bulbs run $99-$150. That is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of fixing/replacing other LED lights.
    Hello Rob,
    Interesting wasnt exactly how I took it, I was actually pretty upset. this is the same place that told me the Pentair VS wasnt as good as the new Pentair VS VF model. and the Pentair VS wouldnt be able to be fixed.

I believe the light you suggested is the ones I am getting. thanks for you help

Justin

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi, Rob. Does the Amerlite/PureColor combo work with Pentair's automation system (Easytouch)?

Quote Originally Posted by InyoRob View Post

9. Back To Top    #9

The Easytouch will be able to turn the Amerlite/PureColors light on and off. To select a particular color or light show, you'd have to turn the light off and on until you get the desired outcome.

10. Back To Top    #10

Check out pal pool lighting. I just installed a pair and what drove me to them was all the bad reviews on other products specially pentair which you mention. There are pics and maybe a video in my build.
    Blue Hawaiian “Wellington” FG pool 6500 Gal. Raypak 266 NG Nickle plated, 3/4hp Hayward super pump, Heater Reader wifi / app controller. Pentair 420 sq' cartridge filter. Hayward 25k SWG
    Pal LED pool lighting. Jandy K-1100 Electronic Autofiller Build thread here: 2018: Fiberglass install uxbridge ointario

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks.