VS Motor surge protection

The HEPD80 offers considerably more protection than the homeline breaker style surge protector. For the small difference in price the HEPD80 is worth it. Like Matt said tho you need to have space in your panel for a 20 amp dual pole breaker.

Im researchng this as well to right now, glad i came across this post. Some 20amp dual pole breakers will allow two circuits per lug, like the Square D homeline or QO breakers. So if you already have one 20 amp dual pole breaker for say your pump, you should be able to just hook it up to that and share the breaker. Im not familiar with how these surge protectors work, so im not sure if it defeats the purpose of having one for your pump, if it shares the same breaker. Im running into the issue of not having enough space.

Im researchng this as well to right now, glad i came across this post. Some 20amp dual pole breakers will allow two circuits per lug, like the Square D homeline or QO breakers. So if you already have one 20 amp dual pole breaker for say your pump, you should be able to just hook it up to that and share the breaker. Im not familiar with how these surge protectors work, so im not sure if it defeats the purpose of having one for your pump, if it shares the same breaker. Im running into the issue of not having enough space.

Not sure if that’s a violation of the NEC pool code but it’s bad form to double up on breakers like that. Technically speaking, SPDs should be on their own breakers for maximum protection and to not interfere with something connected to it. A resistive load probably wouldn’t matter but a pump is a big inductive load and putting an SPD in direct parallel connection to it could have unintended consequences. I’m not saying you can’t do it, but if you can avoid doing it by moving some lower power / less used circuits to another breaker, then that would be better. You can often get two (2) 15A breakers in a side-by-side configuration that only uses one slot in the panel. That could free up some space if you move less frequently used circuits to that breaker.

Now if I can only figure out a simple way at the wall plug of actively limiting the in-rush current on my treadmill when the DC motor kicks in....it's like when the AC compressor turns on in the summer, the lights dim for about 250msecs or so....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.