Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: VS Motor surge protection

1. Back To Top    #1

VS Motor surge protection

Would a panel mounted surge protector like HOM2175sb be enough to protect a VS pool pump or is there a better method?
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: VS Motor surge protection

Many of us have used this one -

https://www.amazon.com/Square-Schnei.../dp/B00CONA1OQ

Itís designed to mounted to an exterior wall mount panel and requires two breaker slots (one for each leg) to power it.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

The HEPD80 offers considerably more protection than the homeline breaker style surge protector. For the small difference in price the HEPD80 is worth it. Like Matt said tho you need to have space in your panel for a 20 amp dual pole breaker.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

4. Back To Top    #4

Im researchng this as well to right now, glad i came across this post. Some 20amp dual pole breakers will allow two circuits per lug, like the Square D homeline or QO breakers. So if you already have one 20 amp dual pole breaker for say your pump, you should be able to just hook it up to that and share the breaker. Im not familiar with how these surge protectors work, so im not sure if it defeats the purpose of having one for your pump, if it shares the same breaker. Im running into the issue of not having enough space.
    12,500 gallon gunite pool, Pentair SuperFlo VSP 1.5HP, Pentair Clean and Clear cartridge filter 320sqft, CircuPool RJ30

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut1103 View Post
    Im researchng this as well to right now, glad i came across this post. Some 20amp dual pole breakers will allow two circuits per lug, like the Square D homeline or QO breakers. So if you already have one 20 amp dual pole breaker for say your pump, you should be able to just hook it up to that and share the breaker. Im not familiar with how these surge protectors work, so im not sure if it defeats the purpose of having one for your pump, if it shares the same breaker. Im running into the issue of not having enough space.
    Not sure if that’s a violation of the NEC pool code but it’s bad form to double up on breakers like that. Technically speaking, SPDs should be on their own breakers for maximum protection and to not interfere with something connected to it. A resistive load probably wouldn’t matter but a pump is a big inductive load and putting an SPD in direct parallel connection to it could have unintended consequences. I’m not saying you can’t do it, but if you can avoid doing it by moving some lower power / less used circuits to another breaker, then that would be better. You can often get two (2) 15A breakers in a side-by-side configuration that only uses one slot in the panel. That could free up some space if you move less frequently used circuits to that breaker.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

+1 to what Matt said.
    Chuck-

7. Back To Top    #7

Now if I can only figure out a simple way at the wall plug of actively limiting the in-rush current on my treadmill when the DC motor kicks in....it's like when the AC compressor turns on in the summer, the lights dim for about 250msecs or so....
    Matt

8. Back To Top    #8

Gimme some specs I can work that out for you.
    Chuck-

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    Gimme some specs I can work that out for you.
    We can PM this one and not ruin this nice OP's thread
    Matt