New F/Glass build DownUnder - Adelaide - What have I let myself in for?... :)

It is actually white peppered with black.....

wpDh8s.jpg

Oh that’s beautiful! I love it! Well worth waiting for. Will look perfect around your pool.

Oh that’s beautiful! I love it! Well worth waiting for. Will look perfect around your pool.

Originally we were going to have contrasting grey/charcoal coping with the above granite as paving for the remaining area surrounding the pool.

However after striking supply problems etc and after looking at a few examples we decided to opt for the coping to be the same colour as the main paving.

Originally we were going to have contrasting grey/charcoal coping with the above granite as paving for the remaining area surrounding the pool.

However after striking supply problems etc and after looking at a few examples we decided to opt for the coping to be the same colour as the main paving.

I think it worked out for the best. It will flow better imo using all the same.

Ok - So today around mid-day and out of the blue, I receive a ph call from the coping crew who ask if they can pop around to start my coping...!

I said yes as my office is only 10 mins away and I could swing past and provide them access.

Just started placement and initial cuts:

wGQk6g.jpg

Only had a couple of hours this afternoon but they will be back tomorrow morning at 8am to start wet-laying them.

One possible issue is that they may not quite have enough pavers - they think it will be tight as far as overall numbers are concerned - I guess we will find out tomorrow...!

We tried calling the supplier but with it being late Friday afternoon - I guess he was down at the pub or something...

I also asked the crew about sealing the granite.

They suggested that it may not be easy and probably not warranted anyway and they then proceeded to show me why......

Here is a close up of some water that we splashed onto the coping - Note how it immediately formed a bead due to surface tension - It simply just ran off the granite like small marbles.

1jop3J.jpg

I also had to drop my water level a fair amount for the crew so they can have good access underneath the 'drop edge' of the coping.

So performed a backwash with all my new backwash plumbing that I installed last weekend - Good to see that there were no leaks... yay.. :)

They look beautiful against your water [emoji7] Fingers crossed there’s enough. Are you sure you really live in Australia? Don’t think anyone has ever showed on a Saturday to work on my pool. Great timing with your plumbing work last weekend. Sure came in handy. Waiting for more pics!

Thanks for all your comments.

...and yes it is Saturday today and lo and behold the contractor turned up early in the morning.

We layed out most of the coping and found that we had enough (just) - Only 3 or 4 pieces will be left over.

A quick pic from earlier today before the water was going to get messed up.

oucMsu.jpg

These leading steps were worked on last and he ran out of time - He will be back Monday to hopefully finish it all.

Dropped the water level even further today to allow for easy access underneath the drop edge to be able to clean the excess mortar before it hardened.

Ensuring that the corners are mitered correctly......

pscBru.jpg

A bit of granite cutting/grinding dust and noise to annoy the neighbours... :mrgreen:

w15Arb.jpg

Dirt in the pool left to annoy me...!

4apZFT.jpg

The actual coping base is actually made up of 3 layers - First layer is a special adhesive designed for this task, then a thicker layer of sand/concrete mortar mix with waterproofing chemical added is applied and finally another layer of the adhesive.

The adhesive effectively sandwiches the mortar mix.

The contractor was fairly careful and precise with his cuts.

Below is the access to my standpipe - He ended up cutting [freehand..!] a nice square which sits nicely in the opening.

This will be held in with silicone to allow easy access if ever required some time down the track. Although my land is reasonably high relative to other parts of the city so we generally don't have any ground water issues.

epYjLR.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is all SO pretty!

More pretty now that the coping is complete... Yay...!

Water is pretty murky as I just finished brushing a majority of the mortar mix and grout that fell into the pool off the ledges and steps. Once I have the majority of crud on the floor I'll vacuum it up via a filter sock and my Multicyclone filter - Job for the weekend.

I had to add quite a bit of Muratic acid (approx 600mL) as the PH was up over 8.1 when I finished work. Good thing was that I did not even look up Pool math - Just used my previous knowledge (guessed) and was very close to the mark - I must be learning something on this forum... :mrgreen:

mmpvwa.jpg

Looked better in the evening... even with all that murky water.

Hidden pool cover will be next then to get stuck into the rest of the landscaping, paving and fencing!

QCpZOb.jpg

A small side project for the equipment room - A remotely mounted pressure gauge.

My current pressure gauge is mounted around the rear of the filter which makes it a tad awkward to read.

A more convenient position would be somewhere on the front but due to the plumbing layout this was not possible.

Current setup:

kXsZCu.jpg

So I thought about remotely mounting a larger gauge on the wall of my equipment room.

Had to come up with some neat way of mounting the gauge and a quick trip to my local pneumatic shop to pick up some brass fittings (1/4" NPT<> BSP), some 6mm nylon pressure line, and some 6mm 'push' fittings and I should be set...!

I also purchased a larger pressure gauge (2-1/2") which is easier on eyes without glasses as compared to the stock one...!

Dc1f5o.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I wanna know, why are you almost swimming in it? lol. get in there!

Here is why... LOL

KTkbn1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

love how it has a "flange" on the inside edge.

So called 'Drop Edge' - It is great as it hides the mortar seam from view as compared to standard bull-nose type coping.

A small side project for the equipment room - A remotely mounted pressure gauge.

My current pressure gauge is mounted around the rear of the filter which makes it a tad awkward to read.

A more convenient position would be somewhere on the front but due to the plumbing layout this was not possible.

Current setup:

kXsZCu.jpg

So I thought about remotely mounting a larger gauge on the wall of my equipment room.

Had to come up with some neat way of mounting the gauge and a quick trip to my local pneumatic shop to pick up some brass fittings (1/4" NPT<> BSP), some 6mm nylon pressure line, and some 6mm 'push' fittings and I should be set...!

I also purchased a larger pressure gauge (2-1/2") which is easier on eyes without glasses as compared to the stock one...!

Dc1f5o.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here is why... LOL

KTkbn1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Canadian hot tub

Well done on the pressure gauge. Mine is in a similar location and pain to read.

Well the pressure gauge project took a slightly different turn during the week as I stumbled on a manufacturer here in Australia that manufactures various industrial gauges at relative cheap prices.

With my large filter the nominal pressure during max pump RPM is just under 8 PSI or around 50 to 55 kPA for us metric folk.

The maximum pressure I have ever seen is when I run my jets/air-bubblers on the steps and at 3000+ RPM my pressure rises to around 18 PSI / 124 kPA.

So with our standard pool pressure gauge which covers the 0 to 30 PSI range my gauge is always reading in the first 1/3 or 1/2 of its travel which tends to compress values.

Since stumbling on the local manufacturer during the week I decided to change the cheap eBay gauge I had purchased earlier with a larger industrial type as I have the room to accommodate a much larger gauge and it would look better with all the other relatively large boxes mounted to the wall.. http://www.zenithinstruments.com.au/

I opted for a 4" (100mm) face and a reduced maximum pressure range (160kPA - Approx 23 PSI) to allow for a more accurate reading but more importantly to allow me to see smaller fluctuations in day to day pressure values. It was actually reasonably cheap considering its size, construction and accuracy (1%).

I mounted it to the wall today but still need to connect it's pressure line to the filter - job for tomorrow...!

Now I should be able to read it from across the pool... :)

Z6gnLW.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.