New F/Glass build DownUnder - Adelaide - What have I let myself in for?... :)

I can't speak for QLD because my training is NSW, but the intent is that a child would be daunted by a 1.8 metre (6 ft) jump down from a boundary fence. The neighbour could build a road or stairs to the top of the fence and it wouldn't matter, as long as there are no climbing aids within a 0.9 metre (3 ft) arc from the top of the boundary fence (on the pool side). Climbing aid is pretty much anything 10 mil (~1/2") wide (tree branch, fence rail, etc.)

A quirk here though is that if you use a boundary fence as a pool barrier, you become wholly responsible for the maintenance and, if needed, replacement of the barrier. So more than a few people put a 1.2 (4 ft) fence on their property, inside the existing boundary fence. In your case, it could be 10 mils from the retaining wall, but if it was a typical 1.8 metre boundary fence, it has to be around 600 mil (2 ft) inside the existing fence, so it doesn't impinge on the no-climb arc from the top of the boundary fence.

And yeh, the laws are certainly too prescriptive (typical down here), but the general idea is that you wouldn't leave a 4-year-old unsupervised near a lake, but you might in your backyard. Not agreeing entirely, but that's the rationale.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.