New F/Glass build DownUnder - Adelaide - What have I let myself in for?... :)

Cleaned the majority of dirt and mortar from the pool today.

Had plenty of water in the pool so I decided to perform a backwash to clean any crud that made it all the way to the filter.

Here is a quick video showing how handy the backwash 'viewing window' I installed works out to verifying water quality. The large white background seen through the oversize window is a lot handier than trying to use the standard small clear window on the filter.

Interesting to see that the first few seconds of water flow is actually quite clear before it starts clouding.

At around 1:24 I switch my pump to 'overdrive' mode which increases its RPM from 2850 to over 3000 RPM.

At 2:20 backwash pressure is measured at around 50 kPa (approx 7.3 PSI) which is actually similar to my 'clean filter' pressure - I guess my oversized filter has reasonably low restriction to flow...!

One of the numerous buckets of crud removed from the pool...!

IstgOc.jpg

Filter pressure after clean... - Pump @ 2850 RPM.

Love the videos! The viewing window is amazing. I think I could watch that video over and over. It’s so satisfying watching the water go from brown to clear. And that pressure gauge is epic! You could probably read it from anywhere in the yard. You’ve definitely pimped your equipment.

Was trying to get the initial start where the water rushes in - bubbles and all (kind of mesmerising) however only had the one hand free to hold the phone...

And that pressure gauge is epic!

Crazy thing is that the gauge in relative terms is not a great deal much more expensive than cheap ebay no name specials... Just not quite Plug & Play as the stock gauges!

Large gauge was handy today - As I was manually vacuuming I was keeping an eye out on the gauge from afar!

Now to get my water back to crystal...

As the water was stirred up a fair amount (brushing the steps/sides/perimeter ledge etc) it was a tad cloudy by the end of today.

Will keep the chlorine elevated a little but I think most of it is just sand particles which have been stirred up. Water is looking light blue again instead having a green tinge to it due to all the yellow coloured sand present from the coping install.

That is a LOT of yuck!! Good job getting most of it out.

What is funny with you being able to notice your pool being a little cloudy..............that is how most non-TFP pools look all of the time :( They don't know any better. One pool at a time we will turn them all to TFP clear!

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ah.... TFP method now means that I can leave the pool unattended for a few days without any need for panic.

Very true! Since the replacement of my ph probe I’m sort of feeling a bit lost. So little I need to do to the pool now! Ph and fc take care of themselves. Just waiting for some other levels to change so I can add or do something other than brush, clean the robot and change hair net.

Very true! Since the replacement of my ph probe I’m sort of feeling a bit lost. So little I need to do to the pool now! Ph and fc take care of themselves. Just waiting for some other levels to change so I can add or do something other than brush, clean the robot and change hair net.

Well look at what Liz just wrote!!! I have been waiting to see this! My heart is so happy right now!!! :sun: now all you need is lots of this so YOU can enjoy the pool!

Well look at what Liz just wrote!!! I have been waiting to see this! My heart is so happy right now!!! :sun: now all you need is lots of this so YOU can enjoy the pool!

Thanks Kim! My heart is happy too if not a little bored given the stress and demands of the previous few months since fill. Funny you should say sun - tomorrow is set to be 25* as is the rest of the week getting up to 27* on Saturday which is my eldests 12th birthday party (birthday Friday). Every year his birthday is strangely hot given it’s the middle of winter. Concrete resurfacing is happening right now. Started today with most finished tomorrow. Dog not happy about being restricted to long run and I’m not happy about not being able to tend to the pool for 36 hours! Oh well levels were good so shouldn’t be a problem.

I do have equipment pad envy and wondering how I can pimp mine just a little since it will never be the ritz like Costas.

Funny you should say sun - tomorrow is set to be 25* as is the rest of the week getting up to 27* on Saturday which is my eldests 12th birthday party (birthday Friday).

That's it... I'm moving to Brisbane....:sunny:

We have rain and cold days forecast for the next 7 days.... No swimming for us down here that's for sure.

Glad that you can now sit back a bit and enjoy your pool - Hope the birthday all goes well, at least you will not have to worry about the weather.

Make sure you bring your pool and equipment with you [emoji16]

I could bring a pump with me...:mrgreen:

You probably think I'm mad or something but I purchased another Viron P320XT pump just this evening...!

I was browsing Gumtree earlier today and stumbled on a local ad (which was posted back in March) for a 1 month old P320XT pump for sale.

Initially thought it would have been sold by now but I messaged the seller and it was still available.

Lady's story went along these lines:

Moved into house approx 3 years ago which already had a concrete pool.

Original pump failed which they had replaced in Feb then 1 month later the chlorinator gave up the ghost.

After spending $1650 for the pump then with the chlorinator failing soon after, they decided to empty the pool as it was no longer being used by their kids and they were fed up with the cost of it all.

Popped around after work and sure enough there was a large empty concrete kidney shaped pool in their back yard which had very sad looking plaster. Single light fixture was half hanging out and bottom of pool had a some murky brown green water obviously from recent rains.

Pump was still sitting at their pad but disconnected and chlorinator was just hanging there in the breeze.

Lady stated that they just lost interest once the chlorinator failed and did not wish to spend any more money on the pool.

She also produced a valid receipt which she gave me and sure enough they purchased the pump and had it installed in Feb this year.

A quick look at it showed that it seemed fine - still had some water in the impeller and basket area but must have been sitting there for a while as I could see algae stains.

I grabbed the nearby garden hose, switched on the water and stuck it into the intake. I fired up the pump for a few seconds to ensure that it operated and sounded OK.

Agreed on a reasonable price ($950) and I took it off her hands.

Should be handy as a spare....!

This is what the basket looked like this evening:

u7fB4U.jpg

I'll probably pull the complete 'Wet' end off the pump on the weekend to give it a good scrub/clean inside and ensure that no algae remains.

What a bargain! Yeah scrub that thing within an inch of its life... you don’t want any nasty green in your beautiful pool. That poor pool sitting empty and unloved [emoji22]

Looking to replace my single speed heat pump pump. It’s so loud. Might keep an eye out for a similar situation. You never know your luck. They are meant to be coming to have a look at it but like all tradies I no longer hold my breath when they say they’ll be out... I would have passed out long ago [emoji849]

What a bargain! Yeah scrub that thing within an inch of its life... you don’t want any nasty green in your beautiful pool. That poor pool sitting empty and unloved [emoji22]

Looking to replace my single speed heat pump pump. It’s so loud. Might keep an eye out for a similar situation. You never know your luck. They are meant to be coming to have a look at it but like all tradies I no longer hold my breath when they say they’ll be out... I would have passed out long ago [emoji849]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.