Freeze Protection Issue

Nov 11, 2013
Pocasset, Oklahoma
Hello all! I've got an issue ( I think) with my freeze guard settings and was hoping for some help! I've got a Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST and its connected to Pentair Easytouch system. I'm in Oklahoma so we don't get a lot of really freezing weather, but today is an exception. I've been relying on the freeze guard setting that runs the pump and the valve automation to switch from the spa to the pool all winter without issue until today. I usually notice when the pump kicks on for protection and when I woke up I couldn't hear it. But I noticed the spillway was running so I was confused. I looked at the equipment and the pump itself is running in thermal mode, and only only the return valve is rotating between spa and pool. The inlet valve is not rotating in between functions and the pump is not running at full speed like it typically does in freeze protection mode. Yesterday the temps were about 40 degrees warmer than today, so I ran the pool in typical auto mode and had the spillway on to circulate. I turned the spillway and pump via the phone app a few hours later but the temp had already dropped to below freezing I think. I am wondering if it is stuck in some type of limbo? The air temp reading on the easy touch panel reads below freezing so I should be activating I would think. I assume the pump running in thermal mode will protect it until it warms up enough, but I know I'm gonna worry about it. Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated.

jr,

I suspect that your Intake valve actuator has gone bad... or the valve itself is frozen. I'm not sure it is cold enough to freeze the valve???

If this were my pool, I would use the little three-way switch on the actuator and see if the valve moves. The switch has three positions on-off-on. It should be in one of the on positions now. Switching it to the other on position should cause the valve to move 180 degrees.. putting the switch back to its original position will cause the valve to rotate back to the original position.

To make sure the valve itself is not frozen, you can remove the actuator and then manually move the valve.

There is no reason to run the pump at full speed when freeze control is on..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

The actuator screws into the top of the valve, replacing some of the valve screws.

The micro switches in the actuators are known to go bad and are cheap and easily replaceable.

Take the actuator off, try the valve, and then check the actuator.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.