Rain overflow question

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
I have a unibead liner on my 15' aboveground pool. I have a micromesh cover. I drained below the returns but we've had very heavy rains the past few weeks. The top inch or 2 of water is frozen but the water is close to overflowing so I can't fit a sump pump in to partially drain it. How concerned should I be about overflow both around the perimeter of the pool and maybe getting behind the liner?

Is the return under water? Can you hook a backwash hose to that and let it go out that way?

I would do everything I could to keep it from overflowing behind the liner or over the side as it could wash away the base the liner is sitting on :( You want that water up and out away from the pool

Kim:kim:

If you drop water with any ice in the skimmer throat you will buckle the wall, as the level lowers.
Remove skimmer kid until safe to drain- the top of skimmer is lower than liner bead, so it won’t flood the bead.

I have the skimmer covered with the aquador and a threaded return plug for the return. So access to removing the return plug is impossible due to ice. I guess maybe it will unfreeze this weekend, temps to be in the mid to upper 40s. Hopefully I can get a pump in there. Maybe next winter I need to drain it even lower

I have the skimmer covered with the aquador and a threaded return plug for the return. So access to removing the return plug is impossible due to ice. I guess maybe it will unfreeze this weekend, temps to be in the mid to upper 40s. Hopefully I can get a pump in there. Maybe next winter I need to drain it even lower

It’s for this reason I dislike aquadoors.. they negate the skimmer being able to weep below the liner bead.. Next year make your own throat dam (it won’t be watertight) out of pool noodles.

I'm just worried about more rain and eventually it gets to the top rail and freezes and like pops up the top rail. I'm about 4 inches from the top rail and the liner bead. My solution is to maybe buy a solid cover and use that the remainder of the winter so no more water gets into the pool until it melts and I can drain it.

I guess the weight of the ice and water below will support the heavy rain water on the cover right?

Thanks poolguy. I'm wondering do you think it will help if I took the cover off for a few days, let the sun melt the ice so I can drain? Or is that a bad idea because if the water is draining below the ice then the unmelted ice will shift downward and cut the liner?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In case anyone else reads this or has a similar problem here's what I did. I bought a large tarp and put it on the pool and it rained for like 24 hours on the tarp. I used an old hose I had to create a suction and basically syphoned off all the water from on top of the cover. So nothing more got in the pool. My ice from the pool is about 3 inches from the top. Can't wait for the warmer weather so the ice will melt and I can drain a little more water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.