New Beach Build

Carable

Bronze Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Virginia Beach, VA
Hello TFP!
I appreciate all that I have learned thus far and have been patiently waiting to start this thread to chronicle our build. Unfortunately, we are having record-breaking temperatures and snow at the beach this year. We have missed 7 days of school thus far, unprecedented! See below picture...

This build also encompasses a big build project to expand our covered raised porch the length of the house. The pool was supposed to originally start this week, but with all the delays, we are shooting for mid-February at the moment, but I have two more snowflakes showing up on my weather app this week alone.

I thought I would go ahead and show you guys my space and plans, and all my equipment is in my signature. That way I can still communicate with my builder with changes before it begins. Here is my landscape plan, the PB rendering is MIA, I am sure it is in a pile somewhere, but I cannot find it. I am sorry it is so small, I am not sure how to enlarge it. The pool will actually be a bit longer than this drawing and we straightened out the back edge along the fence. Also, we nixed the pergola next to the pool. Looking out from the porch, the deep end with a diving board is on the right, the shallow end with steps and a small tanning ledge are on the left closer to the outdoor kitchen.

Here are two pictures I took of the back yard where the pool will go. We are a newer neighborhood built on a horse farm, so not a lot of trees to contend with.

Here are a few pictures of my masonry work that is almost done, but still have lots to do on the back porch.

Amazingly, our pool build has still not begun. We are two months behind schedule. This time because of the gale force winds of last week’s nor’easter. We are meeting with PB on Thursday for a walk though and to spray paint out lines, we may be increasing it by 2-4’ in length. We ended up doing built in stairs/small ledge and I think it takes up too much of the shallow end where my DD likes to handstand and flip all day long with her friends. He should have a final drawing for me to post up here for your expert eyes to review. Digging should start the week of March 12th, but there is a 3rd nor’easter headed our way that week and it could bring snow (although likely rain down here at the beach) and too much wind to work. (Sigh).

On a good note, the back patio is in its final stages and we cannot wait for some warmer weather to enjoy watching the hole in our yard go in eventually!

Very productive meeting with the PB, he has been great to work with so far especially after the curve ball we hit him with this week. They spray painted out the straight-backed kidney shape on the ground and I hated it. It wasn’t nearly big enough, especially the shallow end. After my panic attack subsided, we talked about options and he spent Friday getting new drawings drawn up for a mountain pond shaped pool for us. We should have the details Monday and hopefully we can move forward with digging later this week. It is probably the only pool I will ever build, so I want to get it right! Hopefully dig pictures coming soon...

And we have lift-off....
dbtgallery.php

We finalized plans on a mountain pond style pool rather than a straight-backed kidney late last night and the digging began today. The new pool is a bigger and fills out the space better, with plenty of room for everyone. I knew it was the right decision when I saw the new spray paint lines yesterday. I did let go of my little sun shelf and opted for a bench instead, it just took up too much room. The PB was awesome throughout this. It really didn't cost that much more, so I am thankful. We only live a few miles from the ocean, so we knew we'd hit a water table, so that was included in the cost. The white pipes are pumping out what they can overnight so they can continue to dig the deep end tomorrow.

Look at all this dirt!
dbtgallery.php

I need to get the gallons of the new pool, but it is now closer to 40'x18'. Here is the equipment list, please let me know if I forgot something.

SwimClear Cartridge Filtration Hayward C200
Tristar 2 speed 1 1/2 H.P.
Hayward Heater H250
Salt System/Aqua Plus chlorination
Colorlogic 4.0 (1 bulb)
Hayward Shark vacuum

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have a pic of the new paint? I would also love to see the old paint that made you change your mind.

Your equipment list looks good. We do need to work on your gallons so make sure the salt cell is big enough.

That is one wet area for sure! I see they have gravel ready to work on it as well as the pump.

Kim:kim:

Ok I’m in! I’m doing a similar kitchen build with brick. We were going to do wood framing with plywood covering before we bricked. To give the stainless cabinets something more to grab onto. U didn’t do that I’m think. How is it working out? R ur stainless with drawers and shelves or just doors? Any back pics? Have u been happy with the reveals for the brick hitting the stainless? What about counter tips? Cause u don’t have wood frames. I know brick can take a lot of weight but what r ur plans? Fireplace looks good too! I’m in a firebrick hint right now cause I don’t want to use traditional tan for the firebox so I’m getting samples of some reclaimed antique and some tumbles samples in to see if they will match my brick.

Some more ore pics of the kitchen setup would be awesome! Winter stinks up here too we got 12 snow days already!

best to you!
jim

Do you have a pic of the new paint? I would also love to see the old paint that made you change your mind.

Your equipment list looks good. We do need to work on your gallons so make sure the salt cell is big enough.

That is one wet area for sure! I see they have gravel ready to work on it as well as the pump.

Kim:kim:

The lines did not show up from my photograph of the original outline. Here is a picture from adirondackpools that looks to be the original size and shape.
dbtgallery.php

Here is the new and improved version, which is actually 2 feet longer on the shallow side.
dbtgallery.php

The gallons for this drawing is 20,500 gallons. So with 2 extra feet on the shallow size, it would add a bit more. I have asked them for an updated number.

- - - Updated - - -

Progress is good ... before the next Nor-Easter decides to flow through. :crazy:

True, another one coming in on Tuesday. We will lose Tuesday and Wednesday next week because of it if it stays the current course. UGH.

Ok I’m in! I’m doing a similar kitchen build with brick. We were going to do wood framing with plywood covering before we bricked. To give the stainless cabinets something more to grab onto. U didn’t do that I’m think. How is it working out? R ur stainless with drawers and shelves or just doors? Any back pics? Have u been happy with the reveals for the brick hitting the stainless? What about counter tips? Cause u don’t have wood frames. I know brick can take a lot of weight but what r ur plans? Fireplace looks good too! I’m in a firebrick hint right now cause I don’t want to use traditional tan for the firebox so I’m getting samples of some reclaimed antique and some tumbles samples in to see if they will match my brick.

Some more ore pics of the kitchen setup would be awesome! Winter stinks up here too we got 12 snow days already!

best to you?
jim

Here is a picture of the back porch. It runs the length of the house now. We had the middle portion, but added the two end portions and redid the roof to cover it all. I don't have close-ups of the kitchen and fireplace finished, but I will take some tomorrow and add them.

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

The patio base is all brick. The kitchen area was created with brick because part of the inside can still be seen on the deck and he didn't want cinderblock showing (which is what the fireplace is created with). Then both the fireplace and kitchen were covered with stone veneer. We looked at several countertops, but granite was the most durable which was our #1 priority. I picked from the tier 1 choices at the granite place and it looks great. I'll put a pic up tomorrow. The grill is DH's domain, he picked it all out. The bottom is one door, and 2 drawers. We ordered it as one piece, then the grill, and the fridge. The new pics tomorrow will show the set up complete. It looks great to me!

I agree on the tan firebox, it doesn't look as good as I'd hoped but we had to save money somewhere. I'll get a pic of that too tomorrow.

BIG changes when I got home today. We have a bona fide pool-shaped hole in our backyard!
dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

My DH went out and measured to make sure it was the amended size and it was to the inch! They are still pumping out water over the weekend, my HOA is going to freak out. But it is just ground water and we can either pump it out back to the common area grass where the iron will make it greener or to the street with the iron will stain it red. Hoping they can get a lot of work done on Monday before the next Nor'easter hits, it seems to be tracking more southernly so we could get a lot of rain from it. YUCK!

Just saw this thread for the first time. I am not surprised you are behind schedule given the weather you've had. Wow!

I really love what you did with your covered porch. It's like that was what it was always intended to be. You took what you had, worked with it, and improved it. Genius. I also love how you put the kitchen at one end and the fireplace at the other, so you have different zones for different uses.

The stone on your fireplace looks great. I also like the brick on your house. I am wondering, with some much masonry already in place, did you think about using matching brick for the fireplace and kitchen? Did you think that would be too boring? I'm kind of jealous because I live in earthquake country, not a lot of brick around here.

Just saw this thread for the first time. I am not surprised you are behind schedule given the weather you've had. Wow!

I really love what you did with your covered porch. It's like that was what it was always intended to be. You took what you had, worked with it, and improved it. Genius. I also love how you put the kitchen at one end and the fireplace at the other, so you have different zones for different uses.

The stone on your fireplace looks great. I also like the brick on your house. I am wondering, with some much masonry already in place, did you think about using matching brick for the fireplace and kitchen? Did you think that would be too boring? I'm kind of jealous because I live in earthquake country, not a lot of brick around here.

Thank for the compliment, that was exactly what we were going for. We built this house 7 years ago and kicked ourselves for just not doing this in the first place, but we are glad we went through and made it the way we wanted now. We did originally look at doing brick, but it is just too much brick. All the houses in this neighborhood are required to be brick, so we went with the stone veneer to contrast the brick so they would be highlighted. The veneer will also cover the sheer descent fountain we have planned as well so it all ties together.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are so more close up pictures I promised. We are still waiting for final gas inspection so we can take off the protective coverings and set up the fireplace and grill.

I apologize for this sideways photo, I don't see where I can edit the photos anywhere. The metal above the fireplace is part of the TV mount.
dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

And the walls are up just in time for the next Nor'easter....with 1-3 inches of snow predicted for Wednesday! AT THE BEACH. I can't even wrap my head around the weather we have been faced with. It will just make me appreciate it all the more this summer, right? I apologize for the sideways pictures.

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

All the equipment boxes arrived today, all left out in the elements for this nor'easter, but I guess most of it is designed to be outside anyway.

2 of these:
dbtgallery.php
dbtgallery.php
dbtgallery.php
dbtgallery.php

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.