Spa heater water leak

nexx2

Bronze Supporter
Jun 27, 2014
Slidell, La
Hayward 400 heater. Copper pipe split. Can this be repaired? Or will the coil box have to be replaced? Any idea on cost for the part?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4617.jpg
    IMG_4617.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_4616.jpg
    IMG_4616.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 94
Search 'Hayward heater' on this forum. There are reports of issues.

Not sure about repairing. I would wonder about the area you cannot see.

Take care

Does your heater have the digital display on it? You could search out a radiator repair shop that could maybe fix this. Inspect the entire heat exchanger first though to make sure nothing else is wrong with it.

You heater is one of the better units they made.

Yes, it does have a digital display.
Great idea on seeing if a radiator shop can repair it.
Hopefully I can get it removed from the unit and get it to the shop this weekend.
Pardon my intrusion, figured if you can dismantle then I would think you're technically inclined. I have an 18 yr old Hayward H400 heater that just won't break (knock on wood).
But I have this :lookhere: kit from Lowes in case the same thing happens. It came with silver lead free solder and flux. Back then, I bought a piece of copper tube to practice and managed to repair our water heater leaks like a Pro.

Just thought you may consider to DIY! Otherwise, just follow the above recommendations.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I finally pulled the heat exchanger and had it repaired by a reputable radiator shop. I replaced the spring, rod, round plastic piece, and bolt that held rod in place. Reassembled everything.
When i turn the heater on thru the digital display I hear the "whoosh" and feel the heat radiating thru the top. Within 10 seconds or so I can hear the flame go out, water gurgling in the pipes in the heater. Then it lites up again this time not as forceful as the initial light up, heat comes from unit and within about 5 seconds shutsdown and relights in about seconds, repeatedly doing this. A error code doesn't show up in the display. I let it cycle like this for a minute or 2 hoping something will change on the next ignition but it doesn't.
Could there be something in the heater coil that is damaged that I cant see? Did I not install those replacement parts correctly? seemed straight forward. Did something occur from the heater it sat up for quite awhile? Could water in the gas line cause this?
Thanks for any input.

When you put it all back together, how did the flow control thermostat look? I just didn't see that you installed one.

Also, take a look on the control board where the ignitor connects and see if it is loose.

I checked the wire from control board to igniter and feels like a solid connection. The control thermostat looks very similar to a car engine thermostat. It did have some greenish/white corrosion on it. Can a video or voice memo be sent so you can hear the on/off noise from the heater? I can take the manifold off again to check thermostat. But how do i check it?

Take the ignitor out and use some steel wool to clean it. Seems odd you're not getting an IF code on the display. Almost as it it's dropping power. Careful not to bend the electrodes and they are gaped like a spark plug. I am sure you did this, but you made sure the burners were clean right? Also, did you make sure you put the wires back on correctly for the Hi Temp sensors?

As for the thermostat, you can pull it out and check it in boiling water to see if it is operating. Not the cause of your issue but you should check it.

I didn't have much time this evening to trouble shoot. I did take out each jet to check for spider webs, nothing. Stepping back from heater and my head low to the ground I turned on heater waited to see if igniter would light and it did like it has been and then it sounds like it is cycling and then another small swoosh and feel heat coming out top of unit, and it continues to do this until I turn it off.
I will try again in the coming days.

Last night I removed the front bottom cover so I could see the burner and igniter. I put the heater on :pool: and shortly afterwards the igniter sparked and the burner lit up. Within about 10 seconds the burner was going out. Small flame in the back of burner and dimly lit. the heater kicked on again quickly dimly lit and then went out and struggled to relight. This is what has continuously occured I just never viewed it at night.
Anyone of this info helping with troubleshooting?
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.