Jandy LXI blower will not come on for me

Lord Byron

Nov 24, 2017
Granbury, Tx.
My Jandy LXI 400 heater has been quite cantankerous from the beginning. I would say since its installation it may have worked 25% of the time. I have had numerous service calls under warranty. The last service call under warranty, the technician called me and said it was working fine. He just had to reset it. I wish he would have verified it with my wife. When I got home it did not work. It has not worked since (at least not for me), and is now out of warranty. My wife said after putting the new lid for our pump basket on, she turned on the pump and the heater came on. I still cannot get it to work for me. I am really beginning to take this personal.
My blower will not come on and I do not get a flashing code on the LED. After it times out, it will display ignition fault.
Somebody please help me.

lb,

A little more info might help one of our heater experts figure out the problem..

Is the heater controlled by an Automation system or is the heater manually turned on/off?

The heater will not come on unless you have the pump running... so tell us the steps you normally take to turn the heater on..

Are you trying to heat a pool or just a Spa?

The more you tell us the better chance of getting a good answer..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have a PDA (remote) that we usually use. I have been trying to turn it on manually at the unit also (with the pump running).
I am trying to heat the Spa, but there is an option to heat the pool also.
Today, I replaced the capacitor, it still did not work.
I took apart and cleaned my DE filter to ensure good flow.
I checked the voltage from the circuit board to the blower and got 120 V at the white wire. The black, blue, red, and orange wire read 0 Volts. I think I saw somewhere that somebody got 120 V reading on all the wires, but that dosn't necessarily make sense to me either.

Byron,

I had a similar problem with my jxi heater. On mine the problem was a sensor connection. I removed it and cleaned then sprayed with Corrosion Block. No more problems.

I hope this works for you too!

Chris

No, mine were inside the unit close to the fan. After I realized this was the problem I removed all the terminal connectors from the numerous safety sensors one at a time, cleaned them, and added Corrosion Block. No problems since.

Chris

So you get no error message at all on the display? When you walk up to the heater, what does the display read? Maybe a picture would be easier so we can see it as it really is.

If it is connected to the Aqualink, it should be set for total aqualink control. It sounds like something may be wrong with it, but starting it at the unit is probably not going to work no matter what else is wrong with it.

I got a very similar message "Check ignition steps". There is a sequence of steps the board performs to be sure air is flowing, the mixture is not explosive in the heater, there is water flowing through the heater etc. If your pressure sensor does not indicate correctly the ignition element will glow red but the gas valve will not open. This can be caused by bad contacts, loose hose connection to the fan body, or a bad pressure switch. In my case it was the contact. I determined this by removing the cover top and side then running the unit. When I observed the ignition element glow red through the small glass window it would stay red hot for about 30 seconds then shut down with the error code. I restarted and after it got red hot again, I wiggled the connector and the unit started right up.

I had the same problem about a year later then I cleaned all the contacts for the sensors and added Corrosion Block (an old blue water sailing trick). No problems since.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well seeing you have had nothing but issues with this unit and even had warranty service calls and still have issues, I would say get rid of the headache and nightmare and get a better unit.

Not sure if you have this or not but here is a copy of the manual for the unit. https://www.parts4heating.com/v/vspfiles/images/pdfs/JandyLXi.pdf

When you say "I don't get a flashing code on the LED" are you talking about the Fenwal? When you open the unit it should be on the left side of the upper portion of the unit. Power cycle the unit from the breaker, then when you go to turn the unit on, keep an eye on the Fenwal and see if the LED blinks.

As you know, if the blower doesn't start up, the unit will not go thru any of the start up process. The blower won't come on if a sensor is bad. Sensor like the pressure switch can cause it to not come on but I would expect you would get a error message on the display regarding it.

Yes Paul, I did mean at the Fenwal. So if the blower is not coming on, there is no reason for the diode to blink. OK, that makes sense. I am going to check my connections today and make sure all are clean and tight as Chris suggested. Where is the pressure sensor? What sensor is on the outside of the unit in the "Head"?

Do not adjust the pressure sensor. It is set at the factory to the correct setting. You can bypass it by disconnecting the two wires to it and jumper them together. That is the way to test/bypass it.

The ones on the header are limit sensors that monitor the water temp. If one of those was bad you should get a limit fault on the display.

I have never ever had that happen. So you disconnected the two wires to the water pressure switch, then jumped them together with another wire, and you blew a fuse?

Yes. I replaced the fuse and went through all the steps with my meter. I found that the Fenwal was not sending any voltage to the blower pressure switch. The book said the eight pin wiring harness needs to be replaced. The only thing I could find that it was attached to was a eight pin adapter with some wires jumped across. I could not see any evidence of burning and doubt that would fix anything. I ordered a new Fenwal ignition control and will see if that fixes it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.