First test myself with K-2006-SALT

Danowolf

Silver Supporter
Oct 9, 2017
EUSTIS FL
I used the K-2006-SALT kit from Taylor to get the following results:

Ch - 120
TA - 80
CYA - 58 (between 50 and 60 closer to 60)
pH - 7.6 (acid reagent required 2 drops to get to 7.2)
FC - pink 1.1
CC - .05
Salt - 3200

Have not heard of that kit. Normally there is a K2006 (getting the K2006C is the better bargain) and a K1766 salt test.

Based on your results, your CYA is 60, always round up. Your FC is dangerously low. Follow [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. I would suggest adding liquid chlorine to adjust your FC to target and do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test overnight to check for algae.

Take care.

Nice to meet you via TFP :)

FC of 1.1 is weird. If you're using a 10 ml sample, it would either be 1.0 or 1.5 so I have to ask if you first added a white or greyish powder? Then the water turned pink? Then you added drops to get the result?

Dano,

Saltwater pools like their pH to be around 7.8. I would suggest that you do not drop your pH below 7.5 or 7.6. Going to 7.2 will just cause you to use more acid and it will not stay at 7.2 for more than a micro-second anyway... :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ok good to know Jim. Thank you.
About that FC, I have some Clorox brand from Lowes powdered shock. Can I use that up to get rid of it and raise the FC? Sodium Dichloro-S-Triazinetrione is active ingredient in this product.

Dano,

Saltwater pools like their pH to be around 7.8. I would suggest that you do not drop your pH below 7.5 or 7.6. Going to 7.2 will just cause you to use more acid and it will not stay at 7.2 for more than a micro-second anyway... :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

I had never heard that saltwater pools like it around 7.8 why is that? My PH the entire summer was always 7.2 it was odd. Finally I added some borax to make it 7.5 and then a month later it was down to 7.2 Maybe my rainwater is acidic who knows haha

Clorox brand from Lowes powdered shock

It will raise your CYA. Use the Effects of Adding Chemicals in PoolMath to determine how much.

Also -- be wary of any product with the word 'Blue' in the name. They contain copper.

Take care.

I had never heard that saltwater pools like it around 7.8 why is that? My PH the entire summer was always 7.2 it was odd. Finally I added some borax to make it 7.5 and then a month later it was down to 7.2 Maybe my rainwater is acidic who knows haha

Maybe I should have said "most" saltwater pools... :p

Are you using tablets to keep your CYA up?

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe I should have said "most" saltwater pools... :p

Are you using tablets to keep your CYA up?

Jim R.

Nope.......... SWG and the occasional bleach to supplement it. Should I aim to keep my SW pool higher like near 7.8 if so, why?

- - - Updated - - -

Richierich you know whats funny? My pool is 20,000 gallons and when I moved in it had a 75sq ft cartridge filter. I had to clean that thing every week.

wow that is really really undersized

Nope.......... SWG and the occasional bleach to supplement it. Should I aim to keep my SW pool higher like near 7.8 if so, why?

If your pH is stable, then there is no reason to bring it up to 7.8.

Most saltwater pools have ever increasing pH... they tend to stay at higher numbers longer so instead of dropping them to 7.2 and trying to keep it there, it is just easier to let it stay at 7.8 for as long as possible before adding acid again.

You should consider yourself lucky that you don't have an issue with your pH. Maybe you should bottle your pool water and sell it.. :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

Does it matter what order I put the tests?
FC 1.3
CC .02
PH 7.8
TA 70
CH 120
SC 3200

So I will be going to the pool store to buy some liquid chlorine.
Should I ever use the CG's boost feature instead of liquid chlorine?

dan,

An FC of 1.3 is never good... You left off your CYA level, so there is no way to tell what your FC should be... See this chart...[FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Using the boost feature just uses up your salt cell faster... Use it if you want, but I have never used mine...

Whenever my pool needs a "boost" I always use Liquid Chlorine.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Using the same order for test results is handy for people, and yours is correct. CYA needs to be added between CH and salt.

You'll hear different points of view, but personally I like to run the SWG hard because it's my cheapest chlorine (now that I own the power supply). I'll run boost (or just raise it to 100%) before a pool party if I know the party is coming, and after a party if it makes sense. It's just as correct to add liquid chlorine for those circumstances.

About the only time I wouldn't consider using boost is if FC has fallen too low for comfort. In that case, you want to correct the FC level right away with liquid, and let the SWG maintain it from there.

Most boost buttons leave the SWG on 100% for 24 hrs which is unlikely to cause any harm. If it was different, I'd need a note to remember to turn it back down. :)

So when I was in the Marines I always avoided duty that involved explosives when possible. There is a reason, attention to detail. Like my math, x .2 not .02.......
So my FC is was more like 12 not 1.2, shakes head....
On the bright side, once a get it I get it so I wont make that mistake again. I guess my pool received a good shock.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.