This news story is NOT about me....

Wow!!
I have cared for many snakebite victims. The anti-venom, Crofab, is AMAZINGLY EXPENSIVE!!! To think he received 26 vials plus needs more...yikes!!

So glad he got to the hospital in time for them to place that ET tube and protect his airway!
I wonder why they use large bandages on hands to prevent the patient from self extubating, and not soft wrist restraints-unless they are a restraint free facility. At least they kept him sedated! Midazolam (versed) and Diprivan (propofol- aka "Jackson juice") would both provide sedation with no recall. Best NOT to know or remember what medical personnel have to do to care for you and keep you alive.

Wow!!
I have cared for many snakebite victims. The anti-venom, Crofab, is AMAZINGLY EXPENSIVE!!! To think he received 26 vials plus needs more...yikes!!

So glad he got to the hospital in time for them to place that ET tube and protect his airway!
I wonder why they use large bandages on hands to prevent the patient from self extubating, and not soft wrist restraints-unless they are a restraint free facility. At least they kept him sedated! Midazolam (versed) and Diprivan (propofol- aka "Jackson juice") would both provide sedation with no recall. Best NOT to know or remember what medical personnel have to do to care for you and keep you alive.

Yeah, I think the antivenin is a few thousand dollars per vial (that's what my neighbor who's a internal medicine doc told me). Like all biologicals, it's crazy expensive and, for a few years here in southern AZ, there was no supply of it because the only US lab stopped making it. I think most of it is imported from Mexico now.

Either way, I know plenty of people that act like dopes around rattlesnakes and my feeling is this - if you're dumb enough to mess around with them, you deserve the consequences....notice the last thing the guy said in the article - "I won't be playing around with snakes anymore..." Ummm, yeah, YA THINK!

Hahahaha...Jackson Juice.....

Yeah, I think the antivenin is a few thousand dollars per vial (that's what my neighbor who's a internal medicine doc told me). Like all biologicals, it's crazy expensive and, for a few years here in southern AZ, there was no supply of it because the only US lab stopped making it. I think most of it is imported from Mexico now.

Either way, I know plenty of people that act like dopes around rattlesnakes and my feeling is this - if you're dumb enough to mess around with them, you deserve the consequences....notice the last thing the guy said in the article - "I won't be playing around with snakes anymore..." Ummm, yeah, YA THINK!

Hahahaha...Jackson Juice.....

For my hospital, it's either 4-6 vial per dose and each dose is in the neighborhood of $50,000

None of my patients were "playing" with snakes. 3 that I can recall:

-Woman in her 80's who cares for great granddaughter occasionally, went into her yard to empty a little plastic baby pool. Did not see a pygmy rattler by the pool, got bit in the ankle. She grabbed a shovel and went searching for the snake, found it, killed it, put it in a bag to bring to the hospital for identification, then woke her sleeping daughter (night shift worker) to take her to the hospital. She was tough as nails!!

-Police officer late 30's-early 40's went to move a case of water that he had in his kitchen, didn't see there was a baby copperhead in the case. Freaks me out to think about it!

-Woman in her early 50's, was in her shed/barn where they keep feed for their animals, not well lit, walking on empty feed bags, stepped on "something". She reached down to pick up whatever she stepped on, it turned out to be a copperhead juvenile. It struck her hand 5 TIMES! The last bite, the snake's fangs were embedded in her hand and she had to pry it off. She then held the snake by the head and the tail over her head and ran into the house to wake her husband (another night shifter) to tell him she was bit but didn't know what kind of snake it was. They put it into an empty aquarium they happened to have in their kitchen and put a lid on it and headed off to the hospital. Her son later went to the house to check on it and snapped a picture, which she shared with me but I no longer have :( . The size was impressive and terrifying.

We love when we get snake bite patients as they are usually the nicest people, appreciative of the care they receive and usually quite interesting.

Yes, nurses are a bit warped.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’ve had several surgeries requiring very deep sedation and all of the anesthesia cocktails make me feel quite ill coming out of them (terribly nauseous, dizzy and unable to wake up). I also tend to get very emotionally agitated as well. Really sucks for both me and the nursing staff. It was so bad once that it was nearing 5pm from my 7am (!!!) outpatient “procedure” and the recovery nurse was threatening to transfer me to the medicine floor to stay overnight if I didn’t get out of bed immediately. So I groggily got out of bed, proved I could use the bathroom and then went home. It was the worst car ride of my life (and yes, I was the passenger) - stuck on the 405 in wall-to-wall traffic for over an hour. The wife got some giggles out of it though...

Next time I plan to use the original anesthesia - a bottle of whiskey!

I feel more sorry for the snake suffering burns from being thrown on the grill. What is wrong with people ??
That's like kicking a dog and complaining it bit you. Of course it did, you kicked it. You throw a live snake on a BBQ grill and it's obviously going to get off as fast as it can, through you if necessary !!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.