Pool build - Southwest FL - Tampa

"We will be there" then nothing until the next day :confused: yeah that could be aggravating! At least they are showing up.

Let the MUD begin!

Kim:kim:

No - it’s the “Surprise!” We were there all day (but never told you we were starting). So things I thought would be discussed before starting aren’t discussed. Thankfully I was here this morning when the crew showed up (unexpectedly) so I could tell them “wife wants the deep end to be 5’6” instead of 5’. The guy today is setting up a well pump for ground water - so it was important that he knew how deep to set his pipe!

The best way to be sure they let you know they will be working that day is to lock the gate. And not give them a key. That way they HAVE to notify you.

Otherwise, good luck. Pool builders are the same across the country. I was amazed with todays technology they could not give the homeowner a plan for the day via text at least.

Take care.

The best way to be sure they let you know they will be working that day is to lock the gate. And not give them a key. That way they HAVE to notify you.

Otherwise, good luck...

No gate.. I took down the fence along that side of the yard for their access - we have really small lots here - 50' x 100' - but we have a corner lot, allowing them direct access from the side street.

FWIW - They sent me an email this morning about 15 minutes before their crew arrived...but I don't check my email every few minutes so I didn't know about the email until a couple hours later.

I'm happy they are there and working...I'd rather be surprised by progress than disappointed by nothing happening. Since everything so far looks exactly as planned in the signed contract - KEEP ON MOVING!

Did or are you going to make any changes/tweaks after seeing it laid out? I think it looks great!

Not making changes to the pool, but seeing how close it comes to the fence on the side (that’s behind the wife’s parking spot), we will be shortening the parking spot and moving the fence 3 feet further out so we can walk all the way around the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does your favorite human know how to work a tape measure? If so have her measure after the steel goes in. Add about 6" for the gunite and plaster.

Will she also be able to be there when they shoot the gunite? They might have some ideas, questions, concerns and it is best the pool owner decides what is done and how if the need arises.

Does your favorite human know how to work a tape measure? If so have her measure after the steel goes in. Add about 6" for the gunite and plaster.

Will she also be able to be there when they shoot the gunite? They might have some ideas, questions, concerns and it is best the pool owner decides what is done and how if the need arises.

My favorite human is a landscape designer - she designed the pool and has an excellent eye for anything that isn’t exactly right. Not only is she proficient with a tape measure, she’s better than me with a shovel! (I’m more of a sledge hammer)

BUT neither of us has any experience with a pool build, so I really appreciate the tips and ‘how to’...

When you say add 6”, is that for measuring depth or are we concerned with length/width of pool with this measurement?

Also, not sure if this is important here, but the 2x4 form around the dig has writing on it indicating 10” beam.

6" is all around for the gunite and plaster. This way, that way, up, down, this side to that side, etc.

Look at your pool plans in detail. You/she will be looking for everything...........is it wide, deep, long, big, etc enough? Is it even there? One build they almost changed a beach entry into a shelf with a step up :shock: Thankfully the PO was there and saw it. They were able to fix it right then and there without too much problem. Just a note...sometime they do not do the steps with steel so don't worry if they are not formed out. So long as the gunite people know there should be steps there it is all good.

Make sure the lights, returns, and skimmer places are where they should be as well. One build they mixed up a light and return :( That was a plumber and electrician problem. I am not sure how they fixed it or if they even did.

E7AA64AB-8487-499F-8E4E-2600124B6825.jpgBFB1FF35-6F57-4D54-AA29-F776C39E8863.jpg
Steel looks to be complete and wifey says things measure as they should! I see a bunch of white dots near the top of the walls - I wonder if these are the returns?? Sunshelf has a bubbler and unbrella sleeve. Main drain in place. Waiting on steel inspection and then plumbing / electrical will be out to do their parts.

Favorite human says: “This is going to be a pretty big pool!” For our area, she’s right! Many of the homes in our neighborhood have only 10 x 20 or small kidney shaped pools. I think we made the most use of the space we have available - I’m excited!!

Oh the joys of zero communication - apparently my pool is being shot today. Crew showed up at 7:30am as my wife was getting ready to head to the airport (to meet me for the weekend). So far the build has had zero mistakes, alterations or issues that would require us to make any decisions - hopefully this process is the same. Neither of us will be home and our pet sitter is not authorized to answer pool questions..

WHAT??? Here is hoping they get done and it is just how you want it.

I am very glad it is cooler right now. If it were in the middle of the summer your pet sitter would need to water it. Sip of water for the pet, sip of water for the new baby pool.

Do you think your sitter will take some pics?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.