Algae Starting

Katetx

Aug 21, 2017
Houston/Texas
Over the weekend I noticed that the water in my pool started to feel slimy with cloudy water. Walls do not feel slimy but there is a green film on the bottom.
Here are my readings before shocking:

FC: 5
CC: 1
TA: 90
PH: 7.6
CH: 120
CYA: 80
Pool size: 4440 gallons

I have a salt water generator but it has not been functioning correctly which is why I am in this mess. I have read that since my CC is 1 I need to shock 10x and bringing my FC up to 10. I have put in 6 cups/48oz of 12.5% chlorine in this evening. I'm going to run the pump overnight and change the carteridge in the morning and continue to run it.

My question is this: the next time I am able to check levels will be at 4pm tomorrow. I am to continue to keep it at 10 or adjust it if/when I see my CC increase? How long do I do this for?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum!

How are you testing? You need to follow this SLAM Process using a shock level FC in this [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. As you will see, your shock level FC is 31 ppm. Not the 10x thing that must come from somewhere else.

Have a read through Pool School.

Keep asking questions. Take care.

Mknauss,

Thank you for your quick reply. I am using the Taylor K-2006 kit. I have read the SLAM link and have a few questions. I have already put in 48oz of chlorine in tonight so based on the pool calculator I need to put in an additional 70oz to bring it to 118oz. Do I put all that in at once?

I will not be able to check the levels again until tomorrow at 5am and then again at 4pm will that be ok?

Last question: are these levels of chlorine safe for my vinyl liner?

That is correct -- add that bleach and run your pump. Push it around with a brush if your pump is not very strong. If you can, test again in a couple hours and test and add again back to FC of 31 ppm.

If you cannot test and add during the day that is OK, but the SLAM will take alot longer. If there is any way someone could add at least a half gallon of chlorine during the day sometime, it would help.

As long as your are confident your CYA is 80, a shock level of 31 FC is less harsh than 1 FC at 0 CYA.

Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

You may find you should drain some water to get your CYA down to 50 or so to make the SLAM a bit easier. But see how it looks after a couple days.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.