LifeTime Supporter
Sep 15, 2013
Fayetteville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Pool party tomorrow (Sunday) at 2pm for ages 13 to 18.
Water is clear. No cloudiness, but not sparkling.

We caught the outer bands of the hurricane and had massive amounts of rain Wed night.

Thursday AM test results:
FC: 4
pH: 8.0+ (best guess 8.4)
TA: 60
CH: 430
CYA: 40
Added .5 gal MA

Friday AM:
FC: .5
pH: 8.0
24 hr FC drop was high, so realize I need to slam. Brushed sides and afternoon errand to pick up LC and MA.

Friday PM:
Added:
6 gal LC
4 Cups MA

Saturday AM:
FC: 10
pH: 10 (nearly fainted. Then remembered test not accurate under SLAM). 😆

So I failed OCLT test.
Water is clear, no cloudiness, but not sparkling.

If I continue the SLAM today, I risk super high FC for party.
And have no idea where pH is at.

If I don’t continue SLAM, risk green tint of water but can ensure pH level is good.

What would you do?

Pool party tomorrow (Sunday) at 2pm for ages 13 to 18.
Water is clear. No cloudiness, but not sparkling.

We caught the outer bands of the hurricane and had massive amounts of rain Wed night.

Thursday AM test results:
FC: 4
pH: 8.0+ (best guess 8.4)
CH: 430
CYA: 40
Added .5 gal MA

Friday AM:
FC: .5
pH: 8.0
24 hr FC drop was high, so realize I need to slam. Brushed sides and afternoon errand to pick up LC and MA.

Friday PM:
Added:
6 gal LC
4 Cups MA

Saturday AM:
FC: 10
pH: 10 (nearly fainted. Then remembered test not accurate under SLAM). 😆

So I failed OCLT test.
Water is clear, no cloudiness, but not sparkling.

If I continue the SLAM today, I risk super high FC for party.
And have no idea where pH is at.

If I don’t continue SLAM, risk green tint of water but can ensure pH level is good.

What would you do?
Swimming is safe up to SLAM chlorine level. So just keep it up at SLAM level which is 16ppm until your party, then maybe let it drift down during the party and bring it back up when you’re done.

How are you measuring a pH of 10? The FC level isn’t going to add 2 to the pH. Maybe that’s a guess with acid demand drops or a uncalibrated rated pH meter?

What would you guess?

What is your FC? You cannot guess anything if FC is above 10.

All you can guess is greater then 8 if FC is less then 10.

High pH is not a safety or health issue.

SLAM level will not fade swim suits or cause dry skin. And between the sun, the bathers, and your algae that level will drop throughout the day.

Get it to SLAM have your party, have a great time and deal with continuing the SLAM after.

Just re read, the party is tomorrow. I would keep it in SLAM all day today and kill off as much stuff as you can.

Then make sure the pool is a SLAM level right before the party and then forget about everything but the party.

If you want to add a little bit of acid now go ahead. On a 38K gallon pool should not hurt anything. Just dont add chlorine and acid at the same time.

What would you guess?
Yep, don’t guess on the tests. It’s not like the SAT test where guessing at least gives you a 25% of being right).

If it was 8.0 a couple days ago, it’s not much different than 8.0 now. The high chlorine makes the pH test read a bit higher than normal so ignore pH until the chlorine comes down. It won’t hurt anything or anyone even being 8.1 or 8.2 for a few days.

I always SLAM my pool before big parties. I undershot this year and they swam around 20 FC. Not a soul but me knew.

All was fine. We did one more chlorine addition that evening and about 3 cups of MA. By the time of the party FC was around 6 and pH was 7.8. Party went well into the evening and good time was had by all! Pool was cloudy the next morning, but I just let the pump run and all was clear by that afternoon.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool was cloudy the next morning,
How many swimmers ? I only went cloudy one time out of too many parties to count. I had 1 swimmer per 1000 gallons and it became my personal benchmark for the pool behaving more like a hot tub for bather waste. A few weeks back I had 25 swimmers for hours in 34k gallons and stayed clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.