Gold Supporter
Sep 26, 2023
Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello, I searched some older post abt this. None had answers or “results” if you will.
There is a shiny film on top of the water. Seems to be tiny tiny bugs or debris that don’t skim away. The area is currently in front of my skimmer but was in a diff place yesterday. Doesn’t seem to actually be pulling into skimmer either. If I take lid off skimmer I can see a very small bit of “shiny” almost like separated oil in water looks, but more so on the water .
Recent bout with white water mold.
Cya 200+ (diff thread)
Friday FC was 12.5
CC 0
Added one gallon 12.5 % that evening
Saturday
FC 15
CC 0
Added 1 gallon 10% (shooting for 20fc)
This morning
FC 17
CC 1

We do not use any lotions or sunscreen.
We shower before entering pool
We do not go under the water (shampoo etc)
There are only 2 of us that use it, neither had been in for 10 or 11 days

Any idea what this is and how to treat it?
With having the cya issue I don’t think it’s possible for me to reach required slam levels.

I will mention I saw this shiny film prior to treating for wwm. Haven’t seen it since until yesterday and it’s not as large or colorful/reflective as before. Before it had a prism like look, rainbow ish if you will.

Ty

It's an oil slick of some kind, and it may have been drifting around for quite some time. Toss 2 tennis balls in each skimmer and they'll soak it up. I keep the tennis balls in there all season and they work wonders.

Where should I start a wwm thread?
Ooof. That's tricky. It's usually a baquacil issue but you thankfully didn't ride that turnip truck. It's not algae (it's a fungus?), so that leaves 'Testing and balancing your water' because it wouldn't happen in properly balanced (sanitized) water.

Hello, I searched some older post abt this. None had answers or “results” if you will.
There is a shiny film on top of the water. Seems to be tiny tiny bugs or debris that don’t skim away. The area is currently in front of my skimmer but was in a diff place yesterday. Doesn’t seem to actually be pulling into skimmer either. If I take lid off skimmer I can see a very small bit of “shiny” almost like separated oil in water looks, but more so on the water .
Recent bout with white water mold.
Cya 200+ (diff thread)
Friday FC was 12.5
CC 0
Added one gallon 12.5 % that evening
Saturday
FC 15
CC 0
Added 1 gallon 10% (shooting for 20fc)
This morning
FC 17
CC 1

We do not use any lotions or sunscreen.
We shower before entering pool
We do not go under the water (shampoo etc)
There are only 2 of us that use it, neither had been in for 10 or 11 days

Any idea what this is and how to treat it?
With having the cya issue I don’t think it’s possible for me to reach required slam levels.

I will mention I saw this shiny film prior to treating for wwm. Haven’t seen it since until yesterday and it’s not as large or colorful/reflective as before. Before it had a prism like look, rainbow ish if you will.

Ty
If your CYA is really 200+ then you can’t let your FC ever go below 16ppm and it really should be up around 21ppm or more. If you’ve got any kind of organic contamination you would spent a lot less time money and effort to just replace 75% of the water to get rid of all that CYA and it may get rid of whatever the oily stuff is along the way.

I’m trying 😊 can’t drain all once so making the best of what I can do.
I keep adding chlorine nightly. But the following day lose some to sun, drain/fill.
The way it has to happen (drain)is still requiring lots of time, money and effort.

After the mold treatment FC was 5 combined 15. Several bottles of LC later FC 20 Combined 0. But then drain fill started.

seems yall think I’m crazy or off on the cya testing . Wish I was and this nightmare would end

Taylor 2006 - did reg cya test mentioned above
Did the 50-50 pool/tap sample still over 200 didn’t do further testing as was told over 200 is moot point anyway
Pool store consistently cya 225
Non reliable test strip 300 - ironically enough it’s prob the closest to accurate .

Using submersible pump to drain. Shiny seems to stay on top.

Running vsp 24/7 do all season

I’m trying 😊 can’t drain all once so making the best of what I can do.
I keep adding chlorine nightly. But the following day lose some to sun, drain/fill.
The way it has to happen (drain)is still requiring lots of time, money and effort.

After the mold treatment FC was 5 combined 15. Several bottles of LC later FC 20 Combined 0. But then drain fill started.

seems yall think I’m crazy or off on the cya testing . Wish I was and this nightmare would end

Taylor 2006 - did reg cya test mentioned above
Did the 50-50 pool/tap sample still over 200 didn’t do further testing as was told over 200 is moot point anyway
Pool store consistently cya 225
Non reliable test strip 300 - ironically enough it’s prob the closest to accurate .

Using submersible pump to drain. Shiny seems to stay on top.

Running vsp 24/7 do all season
I don’t think you’re crazy, but I do wonder why not stop adding chlorine and start a no-drain water exchange to reduce the CYA. Doing many small drain and refill steps wastes more water than the no drain exchange and is way slower. Then your nightmare can end. 😉

Pardon, someone shared that article already and I read it. No place to drain that much water at once. No sewer. Ruralish area on septic. Neighbors yard suffering with partial drains

If your CYA is really 200+
We're addressing that over here

I tell ya, when we keep every topic in one thread, it's confusing. When we split seperate topics off, it's confusing.

To quote Bartholomew J Simpson......... Gotcha !!! Can't win, don't even try. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Bperry

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pardon, someone shared that article already and I read it. No place to drain that much water at once. No sewer. Ruralish area on septic. Neighbors yard suffering with partial drains
Don’t have a lawn that needs watering? Should be ok to drain over the septic field as well.

We're addressing that over here

I tell ya, when we keep every topic in one thread, it's confusing. When we split seperate topics off, it's confusing.

To quote Bartholomew J Simpson......... Gotcha !!! Can't win, don't even try. :ROFLMAO:
all the problems stemmed from cya soo… but hey you the mod

all the problems stemmed from cya soo… but hey you the mod
We try our best to keep things orderly. Some days, the best intentions isn't enough. Whattayagonnado ?

Using submersible pump to drain
Is it new/newish ? Old pumps leak oil when they are going bad. (For the oil filled pumps anyway). Or was anything else but pool water pumped ? It may have been contaminated from last time when you dropped it in the pool.

Thanks this post is pretty old. I believe the shiny film was part of my wwm problem. I haven’t seen it this year THANKFULLY. I have never seen signs of anything leaking from the pump. Just had extremely bad luck with those pumps

Last edited: