Feb 20, 2017
Montreal, Quebec
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello everyone,
I have a bromine pool which I am treating as though it was a chlorine pool. I have not put any bromine tabs in since I ran out of them 3-4 months ago.
I used trichlor pucks for a short while to bring up CYA levels and now I've switched to calcium hypochlorite to help bring up the CH. I have 25 litres of 10% bleach on hand ready to go once I've reached CH of 270. I will be buying some Calcium Chloride today or tomorrow to speed up that process.
I am using the tf100 test kit and here are my recent results before starting a slam yesterday:

FC 12.5
CC 1
PH 7.4
CYA 30
CH 200
TA 80

Subsequent chlorine testing yesterday yielded the same results. I didn't have to add chlorine.

Chlorine test results this morning were the same as well, with a possible diminishing of CC. After 1 drop of R-0871, the solution became 99% clear. The second drop cleared it up definitively. Previously, the CC test required the full two drops.

It's an indoor pool with very little direct sunlight so I almost never have algae. I noticed a few small patches of green/brown slime several months ago but after brushing them off and shocking the pool, they haven't come back.

Water has been very clear for a while. My reasoning for the slam was to clear up CC and to try to get rid of the slimy foam that has recently formed on the surface.
d482c1e2785ac2a383dacc096f89d018.jpg

81523bce8157ab92a831a0eb49186f53.jpg

My concerns this morning are that the slam process seems to be working on clearing up the CC but has done nothing for the foam. As well, can someone please advise me on my decision to treat as a chlorine pool for a while until such time as I can replace the water. We're on a fairly high water table here and we've had a rather wet summer. I'm waiting for a good dry spell before I drain the pool.

Thank you

Correction
FC before slam was 7, increased FC to 12.5 for the slam.

Thank you for responding Kimkats

Are all my efforts futile at this point or is there any benefit in continuing along this path?

I'm not afraid of swimming in the pool at this point as all my test results show that I'm able to maintain sufficient sanitizer, be it bromine or chlorine. I'm just concerned about the foam and if there's any way to get rid of it. Please let me know if anyone has had a "foam" problem and how they solved it.

One more question does it matter if I count for chlorine or bromine at this point? I am guessing that either way, the same number of drops of R0871 would indicate a sufficient amount of sanitizer, whichever one we are counting for. Is this correct logic?
Thanks

I helped someone get some foam out of their pool once (don't ask :crazy:). We took a fine mesh net, put it in an old t-shirt and stuck it over the skimmer. If the flow gets too restricted switch out the t-shirt or rinse it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.