How to increase my FC/CC- Need help

Gigyb

Jul 24, 2017
Marlboro
I am a new pool owner and is finding it difficult to keep FC high. Bought a Taylor K2006t test kit and my test found that CYA is high more than 100. So I rushed to Leslie's pool store to make sure that its high. Below is the analysis
FC 0
CC 0
CH 90
CYA 30
TA 90
ph 7.2
Copper 0
Iron 0
TDS 200
Phosphate 200.

I have added 2 gallons of liquid chlorine a day before running these tests.
CYA level has been below 35 in all the past test at pool stores.
My test strip also show reading around 30-40

My water is also not crystal clear. The shallow part is clear but in the deep(8ft) part I cannot see the bottom.

I had used HTH clarifier and also used Leslie perfect pool phos free but it didn't help much.

After opening the pool(month ago) I had used Trichlor(24lb chlorox Xblue Shock from Costco) to slam the pool. Used all of it.
Started using Liquid cl(10.5) after reading comments from this forum.:).
have been dumping around 12 gallons per week but don't get reading above 2-3 ppm.

Any suggestions to increase FC and sustain it.
Thanks

Trust your Taylor K2006 kit and your eyes. My pool store numbers were of no use and my CYA numbers changed significantly every time I used their test. The strips do not have enough resolution. Avoid the confusion and use your kit. Research how to properly do the CYA test Pool School - CYA and do it a few times then move forward using the pool math calculator.

I would trust the taylor test kit results.

If you CYA is testing higher than 90 do the recommended dilution test described here.

One thing that is concerning is you are not registering FC. Add enough chlorine to get to 10ppm and test it 15 minutes later (with pump running). If it doesn't get to 10ppm keep adding to get to 10ppm and testing every 15 minutes. Use the 10ml FC test described here when testing for FC.

You also have a significant amount of copper in your water now from using the Xtra Blue shock. If your CYA is over 100, time to drain for both those reasons.

Take care.

The 24 pounds of shock alone would have added almost 70 CYA, so unlikely that it could test at only 30.

Use of tablets, other powder shock products or a preexisting CYA level would only mean the level is even higher than 70.

Confirm you are doing the CYA test correctly and trust your kit, it's the same method we all use and trust to test our own pools. With high CYA and a significant amount of copper the best solution is a major water change.

Algae is likely the reason your FC won't hold, it consumes chlorine quickly after addition. To confirm that it is algae using up your FC, dose the pool up to 10 just about dark, test 30 minutes later to confirm you are actually 10ppm FC. The next morning, just before sunrise test the FC again. If you have lost more than 1ppm overnight then you have algae and need to SLAM. A SLAM will be difficult to impossible with high CYA.

Welcome to TFP! We're glad you found us!

I agree with others that the best thing you could do right now is to make sure you get your CYA testing dialed in by watching the video dsmith99 linked to and reading over the extended CYA instructions and make sure you click the link in the bottom section of that page to see the picture of the test beginning, mid-test, and end point. As others mentioned, do step #8 if you get 90 or more as your reading out in the sun, testing in your shadow, glancing down at wast height, not staring. You got this! As any questions you have and report back your CYA please so we can go from there.

It does sound like your water is cloudy due to algae, but if your CYA is really over 90, that combined with copper concerns probably does merit at least a partial drain/refill to get both where you're setup for easy and cheap pool care going forward. We'll cross that bridge after you report your CYA after watching video and reading that page, looking at that pic.

Thanks guy for the great feedback and suggestion. Appreciate it .
By the time I returned from work it was cloudy and was drizzling. Hence could not run the test. Does it have to be sunny when running the test since I am looking for disappearing mark. Hence don't want low light or warm light to impact my reading .

I am pretty sure the I did the reading CYA correctly and it was well above 100 and since it is a logarithmic scale should be around 150(Near top of CYA mark). As dsmith99 pointed out 24lb of shock itself should have added so much of CYA.

Will do again as you guys suggested.

Does the CYA level ever go down by itself?

Can I use the rain water from roof if I have to dilute the water ? I have 20 yr old asphalt shingle roof . All chemicals on it must have been washed off...:)

Thanks again.

CYA degrades at 3 - 5 ppm per month. So not going to assist your situation. Using rain water is great, but, if you have CYA over 100 (unknown how far until you can do the diluted CYA test) you will need to drain / refill a couple times to get it down in the 30-50 range. You do not want to drain any more than leaving 1 foot of water in your shallow end.

So start considering how you are going to drain and refill. Do you have any restrictions / issues about putting pool water into your local storm drain / sewer system. This will also need a pump to pull the water out of the pool, and time.

Once you get your CYA test to see how far over 100 you are, report back and we will help you devise a plan to attach this.

Take care.

I did 2 dilution test and my reading came to
65x2 =130
60x2 = 120
There was no sunlight by the time I came home so I had test under tube light(warm) .

It proves that Leslies pool test was wrong which I thought was reliable. How can they sell chemical if the CYA reading is high
However another local shop test had shown CYA 60 at the time of opening the pool.

I bought 12g of liquid chorine from lowes packed on Jun 01 2017. Is that too old?
Drained about half foot of water after closing the skimmer since I read that CYA has higher specific gravity.
Will fill from supply but I have to pay for sewer too based on water consumption.:(
Pool math says that I have to replace 62% of water to get from130 to 50...:(

Shall I wait for CYA to be below 50 before slamming the pool?
Pool is starting to get light green since I didn't do much for past 2 days. Shall I stop the chlorinator that feeding from 3" tab(94 % Trichlor Clorox X blue from Costco again).

Sorry to say but you are in a bit of a bind. You need to stop using the tablets (which are also adding copper, which can stain your liner and turn blonde hair green).

I would suggest you add 1/2 gallon of your liquid chlorine (if it is 12.5%) to your pool each day while you are messing with reducing your CYA. It will help, but not clear your algae.

You would be far better off from a total water standpoint to drain to 1 foot left in the shallow end and then refill. By doing 6" at a time you are going to exponentially increase the amount of water you will disposing and refilling. You should contact your utility as some will excuse your sewer fee for a pool fill.

You should do the CYA test when in bright sunlight. But you know it is too high.

Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As I stated, it is generally accepted that you can drain to the point of leaving 1 foot of water remaining in your shallow end.

Take care.

I'll just throw in my two cents to back up mknauss who is providing good advice. Draining down that far will probably get you down to 60 or 70 ppm CYA. Then you can SLAM effectively and get rid of the algae. Remove the pucks as mentioned.

Is that Marlboro, NY?

Drained around 3 ft and refilled the water . CYA reading stands around 80-90 now. So drained another 3 ft and is refilling now again. Expect it be in the range of 40-50.
Pool math says that I need around 4 gallons for liquid Cl(10%) . I have stocked up 12 gallons. This is the my first time shocking the pool with liquid chlorine.
Do u guys think that's enough.?
How often should I be checking?
I guess I need to balance the pool before slamming.

You are on the right track. Good job.

The volume of liquid chlorine needed for a SLAM is variable. Really depends on how much algae you have and how resistant to chlorine it is. Also how often you test / dose to keep your FC at shock level.

I would suspect it will take more than the 12 gallons. You will be needing it for future maintenance so if it is easier to stock up on some you should do that. Remember to store it in a cool place, like basement or laundry room.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.