Need Your Automation Suggestions

ride525

Gold Supporter
Jun 17, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
After living in my current home for 40 years, I'm moving to live with my fiancee'. Current home of 40 years has a Intelliflo VF pump, and I just love it. There is just a swimming pool where I currently live, no other features such at solar or spa. My son is buying my current home.

New home has a pool with a spa, and solar. Would like to automate pool, spa, solar, so we could both control with automatic controls. Likely going to upgrade the existing 1hp single speed pump to variable speed. Edit: I need to calculate pool gallons, but it is smaller than mine, and not as deep. So it's likely less than 20,000 gallons. EDIT: I did some measurements, and pool is about 14,000 gallons.

Would love to hear you suggestions for Automation suggestions, and integration of new variable speed pump, and automation of solar and spa. Edit: saw Intellibrite lights online, and love the idea. And her pool light needs replacing.

Thank in advance!

Jeff

The biggest thing is to make sure that the brand of the automation system you choose is the same as the brand of the variable speed pump that you pick. Also I would personally recommend against the VF version of the variable speed pumps and just get a normal vs pump.

Jeff,

Since you "love" your IntellIFlo, then that should tell you something... :p

If me, I would go with Pentair... IntelliFlo pump, IC60 Salt Cell, and an EasyTouch-8 automation system. As Jason said above... the important part is having equipment that can "talk" to one another. The best way to do that is to use the same brand of equipment. The EasyTouch is designed to communicate with the IntelliFlo and IC20/40/60 salt cells. If you buy the equipment together, you can often get package deals.

I agree with going with the VS pump as they are less costly and more widely used, but the ET can control the VF if that is what you want. In my mind there is no advantage to the VF and if you end up here asking questions, no one will know the answer as they are not widely used. Also.. make sure you do NOT get the IntelliFlo with the SVRS option.. the option is not needed and it will restrict your lower end speeds..

See this SunPlay link...... Pentair Easy Touch Control System 521150. EasyTouch 8SC-IC60 Control System. Pentair 521150.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Jim R.

Thanks for your thoughtful suggestions, and the link.

Is there a problem with warranty if I install the equipment myself? I'm not really impressed with her current pool guy.
The filter gauge was not working. So I replaced it, and it read 20 psi, or a bit over. I had her ask pool guy about cleaning the cartridge filter. "I cleaned it two months ago", was his answer. So, he did nothing. How he knew when to clean it with a filter gauge that did not work is amazing.

Thanks Jeff

Jeff,

I'm pretty sure the warranty for DIY install is something like 90 days... Not positive, but something you need to check out to make sure.

What I would do is find a "professional" that will let you do the work and sign off on it for a couple of hundred bucks...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jeff,

What I would do is find a "professional" that will let you do the work and sign off on it for a couple of hundred bucks...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Falsifying records. LOL

I wouldn't do it for someone as I would fear that the customer would come back with an issue and sue me for damages. Why put your license and possible reputation on the line. That's just my view.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, I don't have a very good picture of how the Easy Touch 8 will make things work.

1. Do I need to use a Easy touch relay for every valve I want to operate? So say I want to switch from Pool to Spa, or vice versa. Two (three way?) valves involved, one for suction, one for return. And relay for the one valve to operate solar. And one relay to operate light.
And one relay to operate SWG? Any relays needed for Intellifo, or is that on separate comm cable? Does heater need a relay? Do I need a temp sensor or two for pool and spa?

There are valve controllers and there are relays, they are separate. The relays control high voltage things, pumps, lights, etc.

The SWG has a completely different built in control mechanism.

Heater does not use a relay either.

Most systems come with a couple temperature sensors.

Jeff,

The system I suggested above (post #5) will do just about anything you want... for less than $2K and includes the ET, the IC60 and two actuators...

It comes with the following...

1. Ability to control the IntelliFlo via a data cable.. no relays required. The ET can control two IntelliFlo pumps..
2. Built in SWCG power supply... Must use the Pump Filter relay... (Leaves you 7 unused high voltage relays)
3. Ability to control the SWCG via a data and power cable.. No additional relays needed.
4. Can control 4 valve actuators. One output for the Suction Valve only... One output for the Return valve only.. One output for Solar valve or user programmable, and One output that is user programmable. (No relays used)
5. Heater control via an internal low voltage relay.. None of your 7 high voltage relays are needed.
6. Lights... One relay for each light that you want to independently control.. or just one relay for all your lights but they will not be individually controllable...
7. Anything that requires 120 volts or 220 volts to run can be controlled by one high voltage relay .. Like a single speed water feature pump, or landscape lights, or a spa blower, or booster pump for a pressure side cleaner.
8. The ET comes with two temperature probes.
9. You can control the ET via ScreenLogic which allows you to program or operate via your PC, Tablet, or phone. Costs about $360 bucks and worth twice that..
10. The ET comes with a built-in 150 amp load center, so you only need to run power to the ET and then you can use it for all your circuit breakers and surge protectors. Gives your equipment pad a professional appearance.

What did I miss that you want to do???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks so much Jim R!

Just your short reply gave a good idea of what's ahead for me.

Quick Question. The Suction, Return, and Solar are currently operated with three Jandy 3-port manual valves. (with inlet, and two possible outlets.) Are these three way valves totally replaced, or is there a automatic insert that takes the place of the top part with the handle?

Thanks again!

Jeff

Quick Question. The Suction, Return, and Solar are currently operated with three Jandy 3-port manual valves. (with inlet, and two possible outlets.) Are these three way valves totally replaced, or is there a automatic insert that takes the place of the top part with the handle?

Thanks again!

Jeff

You add an actuator on the top of the valve.

I may have to replace one of the valves, when she turns the pool on, and the spa off, the spa still drains slowly. (I think the Suction valve is not sealing well, when off on the spa.) Her solution right now is to turn the Return valve just slightly to the spa, so it "leaks" return water to the spa, thus keeping the spa level up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.