Neat tool for Deep cleaning sand filter

Sep 23, 2013
So every year I deep clean my filter. My process is pretty much backwash, remove top, go after it with the hose until water is mostly clear, re-install top, backwash, rinse, and I'm good for a year.

So this year I was going through the hose step and I felt like I wasn't getting very deep. As soon as I thought I was done I would hit a clot and the water flowing out would cloud up this went on for thirty minutes or so.

I just recently finished up a landscaping project where I had to tunnel under a sidewalk and it hit me that the tool I used would be perfect for this. Pic is attached it's like $5 for the kit then I think it's 1" pvc glued between the two pieces.
47f34d5fbe609ca8b9752234d70f9c08-1.jpg

So I hooked it up to the hose and went after it, being very careful around the laterals. Long story short the water flowed out dark brown for about 10 minutes I felt several chunks break up down around the bottom. And this is after I ran just the hose for like 30 mins. As soon as the water cleared I buttoned it back up and the filter has never worked better.

So obviously you have to be careful around the laterals but aside from that added risk I thought this worked great.

Just thought I would share, i haven't had any problems since but if someone can think of an issue with this process please let me know.

So every year I deep clean my filter. My process is pretty much backwash, remove top, go after it with the hose until water is mostly clear, re-install top, backwash, rinse, and I'm good for a year.

So this year I was going through the hose step and I felt like I wasn't getting very deep. As soon as I thought I was done I would hit a clot and the water flowing out would cloud up this went on for thirty minutes or so.

I just recently finished up a landscaping project where I had to tunnel under a sidewalk and it hit me that the tool I used would be perfect for this. Pic is attached it's like $5 for the kit then I think it's 1" pvc glued between the two pieces.
47f34d5fbe609ca8b9752234d70f9c08-1.jpg

So I hooked it up to the hose and went after it, being very careful around the laterals. Long story short the water flowed out dark brown for about 10 minutes I felt several chunks break up down around the bottom. And this is after I ran just the hose for like 30 mins. As soon as the water cleared I buttoned it back up and the filter has never worked better.

So obviously you have to be careful around the laterals but aside from that added risk I thought this worked great.

Just thought I would share, i haven't had any problems since but if someone can think of an issue with this process please let me know.
Great advice. Makes me want to find a clevererererer solution now. I used a similar tip when tunneling to install my pvc lines for our above ground pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.