Help with turnover rate & pump speed

May 13, 2017
Canada
Hi...I'm new to pools and need some help with turnover rate and speed.
Inground
13 000 gallons
Salt
252 lb glass sand filter
Sta-Rite Supermax VS pump

Id like some advice on how to set the variable speed pump as far as RPM and for how many hours to run per day. This pump is very versatile and I can pretty much program it any which way possible.

Thanks

Welcome and congratulations on the new pool! Good to have you here :)

The main purpose is to move the water and send chlorine to every nook and cranny of the pool so water is sanitized and algae won't grow in dead spots. It's very pool specific because of the wide variety of pool shapes. The water can move very slowly, but it does need to move.

For a salt water pool, you'll find a minimum number of hours that works to create enough chlorine. Use 100% on the salt water chlorinator when thinking about this. For argument sake, let's say that's 4 hours. The SWG will also have a minimum flow requirement. You can try running lower speeds until the SWG stops working, then increase around 10% or 20% from there, which becomes your minimum speed. The extra 10% or 20% allows for the filter to get progressively dirty and still have enough flow for the SWC.

Usually, the next requirement is keeping the pool skimmed to your liking, and is very much a personal and pool-specific decision. Playing around with the return jet aiming can make a big difference.

You will need to filter dust out of the water, and that will also be a duration and flow that you'll learn from the pool and your environment.

The following article suggests a start at about 8 hrs per day. I would just add that for VS pump, that would be at a mid-speed which you can slow down later. Don't worry about turnover; it's more about achieving the look you want and meeting chlorination needs.
Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

Have fun with it!

How is your SWG connected, is it wired into the pump circuit? I just installed a VS pump and SWG setup on my pool and faced the same questions on how much run time and at what speed. I didn't want to rely on the SWG flow switch to turn off the SWG, so I connected mine to a separate timer and now can control the actual on and off time for the cell and I don't need to worry about what the pump is doing. I have my pump set to run 24/7, as I personally like to keep the water moving. I run it at only 1100 rpm from 8 at night to 8 in the morning, then it kicks up to higher speeds during actual swimming times. At 1100 rpm it shows only 100 watts and I will pay that to keep some water movement, during the evening and night time hours.

Thanks for the replies. This is my very first pool and to be honest I am finding it overwhelming!!!
To confuse things even further, I just purchased and electric heat pump and manual states 26 GPM. It does not even give me a range of min and max. How can I figure out what pump RPM will achieve 26 GPM?
And to complicate my life even further, every since they installed the heat pump I have tiny air bubbles coming out of the three return jets when the pump is on the lowest setting of 1400 RPM, at higher RPM there are no air bubbles. what does this mean?

Just to check the easiest thing first - with lots of flow sometimes you won't notice the bubbles coming from the SWG. Set the pump on low speed with the SWG on 100%. Go see if the bubbles are there. Then go back and turn off the SWG. Go back and see if the bubbles stop a few minutes later. Give it at least five minutes, before deciding so the gas has time to clear out of the pipe. Let us know!

Just to check the easiest thing first - with lots of flow sometimes you won't notice the bubbles coming from the SWG. Set the pump on low speed with the SWG on 100%. Go see if the bubbles are there. Then go back and turn off the SWG. Go back and see if the bubbles stop a few minutes later. Give it at least five minutes, before deciding so the gas has time to clear out of the pipe. Let us know!
I will check that out however I'm convinced that it has todo with the new heat pump because that is when the bubbles started.
How about calculating the RPM to achieve 26 GPM, I really need help with that? Thanks

Add your signature, including pump model and HP and we can come close. Follow the link in my signature "read before posting" which has instructions on how to do it.

Also, what size pipe is your suction line and approximately how far does it go from pool to pump?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You're not going to be able to predict exactly 26 gpm, so let us know the brand and model number of the heat pump and maybe we can figure out what's needed. I found Pentair SuperMax VS in your first post, so we just need the model number off the plate on the pump and the HP.

Let us know the pressure on your filter gauge (with pump set on 3450 RPM), and the difference in height between the pressure gauge and the water level, along with the distance from skimmer to pump pad and the size of pipe. After you get the pressure, turn it back down to the speed you like.

Keep in mind that the heater has sensing and limits, so if you want to get started with it, I don't think it's any risk to try the midpoint for the pump, around 2400 RPM. My guess is that will be more than 26 gpm, so let us know your filter pressure at that speed.

You're not going to be able to predict exactly 26 gpm, so let us know the brand and model number of the heat pump and maybe we can figure out what's needed. I found Pentair SuperMax VS in your first post, so we just need the model number off the plate on the pump and the HP.

Let us know the pressure on your filter gauge (with pump set on 3450 RPM), and the difference in height between the pressure gauge and the water level, along with the distance from skimmer to pump pad and the size of pipe. After you get the pressure, turn it back down to the speed you like.

Keep in mind that the heater has sensing and limits, so if you want to get started with it, I don't think it's any risk to try the midpoint for the pump, around 2400 RPM. My guess is that will be more than 26 gpm, so let us know your filter pressure at that speed.
Here we go...
Tube is 1.5 inch inner diameter.
Skimmer distance to pump is 40 feet.
PSI at max speed shows 22 PSI on gauge.
Gauge is 42 inches above water level.
Pump is 1.5 HP.
Heat Pump is Trevinium 75K BTU.

The 26 gpm you're looking at is the flow rate used to determine the specifications for the heat pump. It's not the only flow rate suitable for the heater, although it's likely to be the optimum. The heater will have a range of flow that works without damaging the heater, but I couldn't find the range in the manual I found online.

Take a look at page 8 of this linked manual, and see if it's similar to the manual you received, or close to it. https://www.hayward-pool.ca/pdf/manuals/can-Trevinium_HP55TR_HP75TR.pdf

If so, the procedure is to adjust your flow rate until you get a 2 degree C difference between inlet and outlet temperature, per the panel on the unit. You can do this by adjusting the RPMs on the pump. If there's a specific RPM you want to run for another purpose, that's higher than this speed, then you would use a bypass valve that allows some of the pumps flow to divert directly back to the pool, instead of going through the heater.

The 26 gpm you're looking at is the flow rate used to determine the specifications for the heat pump. It's not the only flow rate suitable for the heater, although it's likely to be the optimum. The heater will have a range of flow that works without damaging the heater, but I couldn't find the range in the manual I found online.

Take a look at page 8 of this linked manual, and see if it's similar to the manual you received, or close to it. https://www.hayward-pool.ca/pdf/manuals/can-Trevinium_HP55TR_HP75TR.pdf

If so, the procedure is to adjust your flow rate until you get a 2 degree C difference between inlet and outlet temperature, per the panel on the unit. You can do this by adjusting the RPMs on the pump. If there's a specific RPM you want to run for another purpose, that's higher than this speed, then you would use a bypass valve that allows some of the pumps flow to divert directly back to the pool, instead of going through the heater.
Thanks for the reply. Based on all the info that I have given about my pool, can we to determine what RPM would give me roughly 30 GPM?

I'm going to get the expert to check my work, but I get 2200 RPM for 30 GPM and 1850 RPM for 26 GPM.

Mark, many thanks for the use of your amazing resources! Here's the details summarized so you don't have to go back and find them:

Pump: Pentair SuperMax VS 1.5 HP
I'm guessing 343001, but not mentioned
22 PSI at max RPM
1.5" pipe
skimmer and main drain, skimmer is 40 feet from pad
I used 50 feet for pad and returns, 2 feet pre-gauge
1.5" MPV (my assumption, forgot to ask)
pressure gauge is 3.5' above waterline

I'm going to get the expert to check my work, but I get 2200 RPM for 30 GPM and 1850 RPM for 26 GPM.

Mark, many thanks for the use of your amazing resources! Here's the details summarized so you don't have to go back and find them:

Pump: Pentair SuperMax VS 1.5 HP
I'm guessing 343001, but not mentioned
22 PSI at max RPM
1.5" pipe
skimmer and main drain, skimmer is 40 feet from pad
I used 50 feet for pad and returns, 2 feet pre-gauge
1.5" MPV (my assumption, forgot to ask)
pressure gauge is 3.5' above waterline

On my pool with 1.5" pipe, my Intelliflo VF does 23 GPM at 1455 RPM, my most efficient place.
26 GPM was 1555 RPM, 30 GPM was 1770 RPM. All these were with a totally clean filter.

Why not just use trial and error? The heat pump should alarm if the pressure is too low.

But flow rate should be around RPM / 56.56. So for 30 GPM, I get 1700 RPM. One thing to remember is that 1.5" plumbing is actually 1.61" for the pipe inner diameter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.