Black Algae, Wire Brush, New Plaster

OK I'll get some more R-0013 and try glancing. It'll be nice when I can trust my own eyes.

This morning's readings are as follows.

FC 8.5
CC 0
Ph 7.6
TA 100

I added another gallon of 12.5% bleach and another
20oz of muriatic. Three hours later I'm here.

FC 13.5
Ph 7.6

The cya can be tricky at first. You can pour the sample back and forth and can save the sample for a second opinion.

I find it best to pour it to the first line, check for the dot, pour to the second and check for the dot, etc.

You need full sunlight, back to the sun and vial at waist level.

Post up your cya results when you get your reagents. Swg works best when your cya is at least 70 or even higher at 80.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't upgrade your swg but will give you some extra protection from the sun.

Well perhaps I finally have the correct CYA. I can hardly wait for the PS to open so I can get the reagent.

FC 8
CC 0
Ph 7.6

I didn't add any bleach yesterday, there was a huge amount of rain and an exceptionally large bathing load, yet somehow FC only dropped .5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PS said my CYA was 64 when I went there to buy the R-0013. I checked it myself and got 60 so I added a quart and a couple cups of conditioner. We had at least two inches of rain today so I'll take full readings again this evening or in the morning and report back.

Thanks Kim

It looks super clear even after yesterday's 3.01 inches of rain.

After this morning's readings, I added a quart of muriatic, 2+ quarts of 12.5% bleach and some salt (one bag yesterday when I noticed the red light was on and another today because it was still on.

Once you get pool chemistry dialed in to TFP standard, you realize that rain won't impact the cleanliness of the water... unless a lot of debris gets into the pool. Even then, it doesn't instantly turn into a swamp.

The higher CYA should be helpful.

FC 6
CC 0
Ph 7.8

I added a quart of muriatic and will check FC again this afternoon. I'm interested in seeing how well the CYA is protecting my FC.

This afternoon the FC was down to 5 and the Ph was down to 7.4. I added a half gallon of 12.5% bleach.

Here's a post from espejo dated 6/21/17 that seems relevant.

My pool is 19,000 gallons and I live just north of Houston. During June, July and August my IC40 has a tough time keeping chlorine up. I have to bump up my CYA to 80 or 90 and then it generally is not an issue. I then let the rains in the Fall bring down CYA to the "normal" range. During the winter I put in a puck a week or so and monitor the FC to make sure no issues with FC or CYA and then get a little more careful before Spring when the IC40 kicks back on when the pool temperature rises. When my IC40 goes I will be replacing it with the IC60 and I would recommend that you at least consider this option. My pool is in full sun starting around 10am until 7pm so that could be an issue too.

It looks clean and clear to me, but I've only been a pool owner for about four months now. Perhaps that 1.65 HP Waterway pump on my 15,000 gallon pool is what keeps it looking so clean? I mean even when the chlorine was pretty much non existent for the first month, it only got cloudy once.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.