The real story concerning solar heaters

I did the 500' of 1/2" poly tubing for two years then this year installed a 20x10 solar heater. Huge difference!! I have already hit 90 degrees and had to back the solar off. A year ago we were just hitting 80. I found the solar kits on sale and installed myself, entire thing cost about $500. Worth every penny.

Thanks for the first hand feedback! It seems hard for people to believe us that the irrigation DIY option just is not as efficient or cost effective.

Too many yahoos on YouTube extolling the virtues ;)

Thanks for the first hand feedback! It seems hard for people to believe us that the irrigation DIY option just is not as efficient or cost effective.

Very true, if you break it down 500' of 1/2" tubing is only about 20 sqft of surface area and that is with absolutely no overlap of the hose!! So my 200sqft of solar collectors are equal to ten 500' rolls. I think I paid $50 for one roll at Home Depot so there is the $500 I spent on my whole solar system including the parts to install!! And I wouldn't even want to imagine stringing up 5,000 feet of that crappy pita poly hose!!

True. My pool has been between 85 and 93 since mid-march with just 5 panels. I had to turn the solar controller down to 87 to keep it from getting above 90 in the afternoon. And the cover has been off since early June. We like 87-89.

I also wonder how well that poly holds up in the sun. I don't know if it has any UV resistance or not.

When we moved into this house the previous owners had tried a DIY solution. They were over 2,500 feet of three quarter inch black poly in knots strewn haphazardly all over the roof. It was impossible to drain in the winter and every spring I dealt with leaks. It was kind of a nightmare even to get rid of that much poly tubing when I switched and did a DIY install on my solar panels which I got used on Craigslist. I think I'm into it about $1,200 for the 500 square feet of Heliocol solar panels including installation, hardware plumbing and controller.

At my previous house it cost me over $5,000 to get less than that amount of heliocol panels installed, although then there was a 20% Federal rebate after that I think, can't remember the exact amount.

I have no trouble believing the tubing is not nearly as efficient, but I have less than $100 in mine and IIRC the Helicoil system was around $1700 for my pool. I would like to upgrade someday but for now this will have to do. I have a solar cover that will be here Monday which should help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not many years ago, the ready made panels were either not available, or pretty expensive. The poly tubing route was much more attractive then. I used it 10 years ago to add heat to a hot tub, and also to preheat well water before entering my water heaters. It does add heat, and can absolutely make a difference. With the inexpensive panels these days, it makes more sense to use them.

I still use about 400' of the tubing to heat water for an outdoor sink/shower behind the shed. I rinse off under it outside after yardwork/mowing.

Good thread. I have to agree with Pioneer on the price in years gone by. But having checked amazon today, I am thinking I will have more than enough 3/4 pipe to do underground sprinklers now :)
About 380 cdn for 2 - 2 x 20's, in years gone by that was the price per panel up here.
I try to push as much of my 3300 gph through my panel when heating, no poly cover this year on the panel and I am getting a 4 degree rise across the coil.
The black pipe does pretty good in the sun, I have some that is 6-7 years old and holding up well.

Just FYI these are what I used. I didn't buy from this seller on eBay but same panels.
So just under 47 sqft for $85, i think I paid $150 per two of these on sale. It wasn't a turn key install. I had to get creative with those rubber universal couplings between the panels and pvc. But it has been a couple months and no issues so I'm confident they will last.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/330978497311?...vr_id=1244435838891&_mwBanner=1&ul_noapp=true

Here's another choice
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFGG6CY?psc=1&smid=A1Y4RBJHD0SC34

There are lots of choices for buying heating panels cheaper and more effective than making them.

When it comes time to add a controller do your self a favor and buy a Pentair Solar Touch. For $250 you get a three way solar valve, a valve actuator, two temperature sensors and a digital control unit, capable of controlling the valve and your pump. The valve and actuator alone could cost more than that.

Or you could spend more time and money trying to jury rig some thing together on your own, for that.

With the controller I just set the desired temp. It checks the temp of the water and the rooftop panels. If heat is called for and is available, it opens the valve and sets the right pump speed. I can even set it to auto cooling and it will run the system at night to cool the pool to a desired temp.

The superflo vs pump can be made to work with the sun touch but it's not a direct plug and play. You will need to get the communication cable for the superflo pump it's an optional accessory that cost 50bucks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.