Mid-SLAM questions

Bazodee

Silver Supporter
Apr 20, 2016
Dallas TX
Our pump and filter are relatively new, but the filter is old. It is a DE filter. It has been a year since we did a total filter cleanout.

I think this is limiting our SLAM - the water chemistry is stable, we are able to maintain our Cl and CC is 0, but it is still so cloudy.

We did a backwash on Thursday and again today (the filter pressure gauge is cloudy so we are flying a bit blind on the timing here)

Is there anything that jumps out that we need to do? Or do we just need to be patient?

N. Texas
25,000G IG pool -installed in 80's owned by us for 4 years
Maintained by us for 16 months
Plaster with a diving end of 10+ feet
DE filter

Well, buying a new pressure gauge certainly jumps out at me :) the glycerin filled ones that TF test kits sells are really nice and cost about the same as the junk you will find locally.

Are you adding DE after every backwash?

Well, buying a new pressure gauge certainly jumps out at me :) the glycerin filled ones that TF test kits sells are really nice and cost about the same as the junk you will find locally.

Are you adding DE after every backwash?

We are planning to buy new equipment when we remodel and hubby doesn't want to spend the $$- but that's at least a month away.

Oh wait - he doesn't want to expend the energy knowing he's going to likely rebuild/ replace stuff soon.

Yes DE added at skimmer each time.

N. Texas
DE filter

Ack - I'm having some panic that the film I keep dusting up is DE[emoji15][emoji15]

N. Texas
DE filter

Even a cheap gauge from the local pool store would help. But getting the nicer glycerine filled one from tftestkits won't hurt as it will be better than what comes with new equipment most likely and can be put on both current and new equipment.

do you mean when you brush/vac? if so, does it poof or kick up in a cloud?
also potentially helpful DE reads:
last paragraph here
and
this page here

Yes- it kicks a cloud. I would take a video but it is raining again.

N. Texas
DE filter

Found i could read it with a pic....it looks like it needs to be cleaned if the markers on the gauge are any indication.
6a800cec5480e26a8c3d8898ce49345a.jpg

N. Texas
DE filter

Those indicators are meaningless, you can spin them. We do not recommend waiting for a 10psi increase. You should clean the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

Great job finding the face of that gauge. You see how it goes to 60psi? The gauge that was suggested to you earlier only goes to 30psi, so you can see the small changes 2x as clearly. Just a note.

As for your gauge - if you do a full cleaning, now or soon, you can get your "clean/start" PSI to calculate 20-25% higher than it to know your "time to clean" PSI.

Properly cleaning your filter is essential to achieve and get your crystal clear water and to get a trustworthy clean psi.... so.... any questions at all about your cleaning procedure? we want you confident and prepared - but also post if you come across any trouble once you start :) pictures always welcome. we're pool nerds :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes- it kicks a cloud. I would take a video but it is raining again.

this is most often algae of one flavor or another. Very important you follow the slam procedure correctly to banish it from your pool and not fight it forever. Then important to care for it correctly after that to avoid it every getting a foothold again. May I ask if you have an approved test kit? Either way, do you have a value for your CYA, even if it is other kit or pool store provided?

Thanks everyone!! Hubby has been the cleaner. I'll ask him about cleaning.

I'll also look into a gauge with a lower max.

We don't have much time this week, but I don't want to keep slamming in vain!!

N. Texas
DE filter

I put one of the glycerin-filled pressure guages on this year and it's so much nicer than the stock model that came on my filter. $12.50 + shipping and it could be used on any new equipment you get. TFTestkits.net

Ordered!!

N. Texas
DE filter

Congrats! Lots of positive feedback on those. Are you taking water to pool store or doing water testing yourselves?

Testing ourselves. Ran out of CYA reagent so I ordered more- but not currently able to test that one.

N. Texas
DE filter

Great! Testing yourselves is really the only way to TFP. Good times. So even on your busiest days, at least try to bring FC up to Shock for your last CYA reading before you leave the house and when you come home. That will ensure you don't fall backwards, and likely make progress. If you can't brush or vac this week, so be it. Pump running and FC at shock = making progress. Do what you can't, don't stress what you can't.

Great! Testing yourselves is really the only way to TFP. Good times. So even on your busiest days, at least try to bring FC up to Shock for your last CYA reading before you leave the house and when you come home. That will ensure you don't fall backwards, and likely make progress. If you can't brush or vac this week, so be it. Pump running and FC at shock = making progress. Do what you can't, don't stress what you can't.

Thanks - that's good to know. We are able to maintain our FC pretty well right now. And CYA is finally on the chart - but the cloudiness seems like it won't go away unless we address the filter.

N. Texas
DE filter

Captains log -day 9 of SLAM?

We are maintaining our chlorine but the water is still cloudy. We took apart the filter and found big holes and replaced the filter on Wednesday and have vacuumed as we are able between storm and rain and it is barely clearing up.

I would post a current picture but it rained all day and everything is agitated.

Hubby wants to go back to the pool store!

Help!!

N. Texas
DE filter

POP -- Pool Owner Patience!!!

It will clear. Just a little time is needed.

Take care!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.