Mid-SLAM questions

Big holes? Like missing DE?
Read DE paragraph here
and read detailed info to make sure you have your DE filter running correctly here
Also manufacturer instructions would be a good read too, manual is on their website if you lost the paper copy
ask any questions either here or in a new thread in filter section if there are any disagreements or curiosities/problems

Thank you for giving it a few more days. If there has been ZERO improvement, that's not right and you are 100% correct to ask for more help!

If you have seen some improvement, we need to know that too.

So.......after cleaning the filter - we were vacuuming and noticing little suction, so hubby checked and the pressure was zero. He opened he filter and the leaf cage thingy was almost full of leaves, so he cleaned out and the filter sounded happy again and we got some pressure (I don't recall what)

But that gave him the idea to use the net to scrap/sweep the deep end of the pool - where we still have no visibility.

And he's brought up 2 gallons+ of leaf detritus.

[emoji51][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

It is hard to gauge depth, but it is about 5" deep.

He's at diminishing returns- only a leaf or two now.

Hopefully we turn a corner now???

65636317c14924d8722698d436c72478.jpg

N. Texas
25,000G IG pool -installed in 80's owned by us for 4 years
Maintained by us for 16 months
Plaster with a diving end of 10+ feet
DE filter

Big holes? Like missing DE?
Read DE paragraph here
and read detailed info to make sure you have your DE filter running correctly here
Also manufacturer instructions would be a good read too, manual is on their website if you lost the paper copy
ask any questions either here or in a new thread in filter section if there are any disagreements or curiosities/problems

Thank you for giving it a few more days. If there has been ZERO improvement, that's not right and you are 100% correct to ask for more help!

If you have seen some improvement, we need to know that too.

2d0e6fe662264d5f0c5e60a7d5da35c3.jpg

Actual holes.

N. Texas
DE filter

Those indicators are meaningless, you can spin them. We do not recommend waiting for a 10psi increase. You should clean the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

Hubby cleaned the filter and i told him the forum folk say to clean after 25% increase PSI. Which for our pump is like 3psi. Because our base is 9psi.

Is that right?

He swears he should only clean every 6 months. Is that when to clean or backwash?

N. Texas
DE filter

You two are an awesome team! :cheers:
Great job finding the skimmer and main drain leaves! I will add that to my future swamp help guidance protocols, so thank you very much for making me better!
After your 25% increase you need to backwash only - correct - and great catch! Additional use/care/cleaning reading available in last section of this page here which also links to this page dedicated to DE and lastly the DE cleaning tutorial that also has tons of info.

As for the holes - I'm sending some DE experts private messages to invite them to this thread to give you advice and ask any questions. This is a first for me, so I'm eager to learn the answer too.

HI! I hate to be the bearing of bad news but you need to replace those :( There cannot be any holes in them. It allows DE and stuff to get through. I am SO sorry.

Good job on getting that stuff out! That will make a huge difference in getting your pool clear! While you are waiting for your new grids you can you can keep adding chlorine to kill the rest of the stuff in the pool.

Do you have this kind of pool cleaner? https://www.amazon.com/Poolmaster-28300-Sucker-Pressure-Directional/dp/B0007PZN9Q/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497232188&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=big+gulp+pool+cleaner

It is awesome for getting stuff like that out of the pool. It does add water to the pool so you need to keep that in mind when you use it.

Kim:kim:

Not that it's necessarily an approved repair or anything but...

My brother-in-law once sewed up a tear in a grid and then sealed the area with some RTV gasket goo and let it cure. It held for about ten years and only decreased the 48? square foot surface area by about 2 square inches.

Sorry - I'm rushing over my details.

Thanks for the help and calling in reinforcements!

*We replaced the grids on Wednesday.*

We had them in the garage but hubby was waiting until the pool remodel to put them in. When he saw the holes he grabbed the new set.

Unfortunately today we backwashed and found DE was coming back into the pool - after putting a clean sock over the jet for 2 mins.

So it looks like a valve isn't closing or something.....

[emoji51]

2722e82299cbd97066e3b2ea7ec1451f.jpg

N. Texas
DE filter

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
HI! I hate to be the bearing of bad news but you need to replace those :( There cannot be any holes in them. It allows DE and stuff to get through. I am SO sorry.

Good job on getting that stuff out! That will make a huge difference in getting your pool clear! While you are waiting for your new grids you can you can keep adding chlorine to kill the rest of the stuff in the pool.

Do you have this kind of pool cleaner? https://www.amazon.com/Poolmaster-28300-Sucker-Pressure-Directional/dp/B0007PZN9Q/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497232188&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=big+gulp+pool+cleaner

It is awesome for getting stuff like that out of the pool. It does add water to the pool so you need to keep that in mind when you use it.

Kim:kim:

No we don't have that we have a normal vacuum that looks like a swifter.

I'll look into that. Thank you!!

N. Texas
DE filter

Whew! So glad you have new grids! Good times! Your multiport valve/spider gasket - you turn off the pump before switching it? You always turn the same direction - either clockwise or counterclockwise?

Also, I know the filter is a top priority - but in the meantime, have you achieved a murky blue yet? Either way, keep that FC at shock for your current cya, or last known if your chems haven't arrived yet. You can still kill algae while we sort this out.

Question for others - is there any health hazard for swimming at the moment by the DE in the water? Or is the primary health hazard inhalation of dry DE?

Whew! So glad you have new grids! Good times! Your multiport valve/spider gasket - you turn off the pump before switching it? You always turn the same direction - either clockwise or counterclockwise?

Question for others - is there any health hazard for swimming at the moment by the DE in the water? Or is the primary health hazard inhalation of dry DE?

Well hubby just said he does, but that valve doesn't quite seat to where it is locked down to be able to turn. It used to go down and stopped going down at the end of last summer, but hadn't caused any ill effects -but maybe we weren't noticing.

I guess we need to rebuild that valve. Which we won't have time for until next weekend. [emoji51]

N. Texas
DE filter

Long shot, but hey you never know - When you backwash - backwash 2 full mins or longer until clear, pump off, switch to rinse, pump on until clear, pump off, switch to backwash, pump on until clear, pump off, switch to rinse, pump on until clear, pump off, switch back to filter, pump back on and then you're done "backwashing". I didn't know about the rinse, then repeat until TFP. It really helps make sure the water going back in the pool is good stuff as well as settling the DE for the filtering to come. While I doubt this is why DE came out your return, hey, maybe it could be...okay probably not. Next paragraph.

Again I find myself unqualified to advise you on whether or not you need to replace the spider gasket, clean out the grid chamber, if maybe the DE application was a miss somewhere, maybe a grid alignment issue, or what's going on. Others will have to chime in. In the meantime, any other questions?

Found two threads (there are more, but these two seem potentially the same as yours) where DE was re-entering after grid replacement
https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/53776-new-grids-DE-returning-to-pool
https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/118335-Think-I-m-Getting-DE-in-Pool
they talk about seating, o rings, whether there was a pile of DE or not, and such that might help you. I'm less suspicious of the spider gasket now, but it isn't off the hook yet.

Oh These are great. Thank you.

Where do you see where it is clear? I feel like our only place to see is the lid over the large material "cage" but it is always clear -even when backwashing.

N. Texas
DE filter

Morning update and a question.

New this morning -something is different
- we can now see where the jets are parting the earth....not really sure what that means

Since we can't get to this until the weekend - does it make sense to keep running the pump? It's been 12 days non-stop running. Hubby is worried about the electric bill.

96a07460cea7b6a8c91240ceef04d235.jpg

N. Texas
DE filter

Yes, keep running the pump, even if it is on recirculate and maintain FC at shock level for your CYA so that you don't lose the progress that you've made so far. Sounds like the valve needs to be rebuilt or at least taken apart, cleaned and lubed with silicone o-ring grease.

I copied your sig info in to your signature so that you don't have to keep adding it to your posts. Can't get rid of the * though. Maybe you can by clicking Quick Links up top and then Edit Sig.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.