Mid-SLAM questions

Yes, keep running the pump, even if it is on recirculate and maintain FC at shock level for your CYA so that you don't lose the progress that you've made so far. Sounds like the valve needs to be rebuilt or at least taken apart, cleaned and lubed with silicone o-ring grease.

I copied your sig info in to your signature so that you don't have to keep adding it to your posts. Can't get rid of the * though. Maybe you can by clicking Quick Links up top and then Edit Sig.

Thanks! Will keep on with it.

Not following on the signature. It is automatically added Isn't it?

N. Texas
25,000G IG pool -installed in 80's owned by us for 4 years
Maintained by us for 16 months
Plaster with a diving end of 10+ feet
DE filter

Sooo....update. Hubby is working looooong hours so for Father's Day I hired the neighbor pool guy to check out the valves and he replaced the backwash valve o-ring and gaskit assembly.

And voila we can see the bottom of the pool!!! It is a Father's Day miracle!!! Ha!

So now we can see the DE on the bottom and get that through the filter and see spots of algae in the center that we couldn't see before!

Back on track to SLAM!

a4a7d5de1035994ef16862bdae458b31.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are 27 days into this SLAM and what must be close to 75 gallons of bleach later - the water looks amazing - but we still can't get the last of the DE up.

The bottom is coated with DE and there are still deposits of it along the edges.

We've vacuumed as we've been able to. And we sweep to agitate when we can't. Any other suggestions?

ecff2b7989df51344eb5333268718a8f-1.jpg
5104b0fdb0f7af523d75ec6682b752bb-1.jpg

Thanks for posting an update! I'm very happy you've been able to achieve amazing looking water!
Three things:
1. If you are 100% honest, can you imagine it being any clearer? In my experience, TFP clear is a remarkable thing where you can't imagine it being any clearer if you drained it and filled it with distilled/bottled water.
2. Have you done an OCLT? Pass?
3. This post offers instructions on turning off everything, letting water still, then gently filling vac hose/submerging vac head on pole, then RIDICULOUSLY SLOWLY manually using the vac (to filter in your case, not to waste) to suck up the DE on the floor. Be sure to bring your FC up towards shock before you shut everything down. Doing this after the water has stopped circulating, and going really slowly, may help you suck up tons more. IF this doesn't work really well, I'm guessing we have a suction issue going on. If you, *carefully, responsibly, and with another adult ready to turn off the pump* were to place your hand *near, not blocking* the underwater suction opening of the vac head, it should clearly draw a strong rush of water in, and you should fear your hand will be sucked up in and you might be unable to get it back out without the pump being turned off. If it isn't at least a little threatening, your suction isn't right, which could be caused by a lot of stuff I'm not going to get into if we don't need to. Let us know how your suction strength is, again, do so responsibly using your hand at distance or using a leaf on a branch or some other indicator that doesn't threaten your hose or pump basket.

- - - Updated - - -

*if your numbers are good and you can see the bottom, you can be swimming in it as long as FC is under shock*

If you have passed the other two tests to stop the slam and you are just waiting on getting the DE out of the water there is really no point in maintaining the high FC levels.

Going to ask just to get maybe a not so obvious out of the way. You are turning off the main drain when you vacuum right and pulling through the skimmer?

For years I used cheap vacuum heads, part of my "get it right in 2017" program was to take a look at all my tools. Vacuum, filter, hose, test kit etc. Some of these things I replaced (vacuum head) or bought for the first time (test kit, mixing pitcher, 5 gallon bucket, electric scale).

We hired out the basic pool maintenance last year... that did not go well. Hence the "get it right in 2017".

I hated our vacuum head it was cheap and seemed to push rather than suck up debris, but I could not bring myself at that time to buy a vacuum head that was 3x's the cost. Penny wise and pound foolish.

1/2 of the money we paid someone to "maintain our pool" last year paid for everything I bought this year, and obviously other than reagents, everything else should last me several years if not many years.

The first time I used this vacuum head, I was very happy. Believe it or not, I actually look forward to vacuuming now because of the results.

Something to think about, if your end goal is water that looks like glass and a pool that is "inviting" <--great word for us pool owners, spread your equipment costs over a 2-3-4 years (it didn't sting for me when I looked at it like this). For me a $75 vacuum over 3 years is $25 a year to get a result that in the long run cuts down on work time and increases play time, add in the look on the faces of my family when they see "their" pristine pool.

In your case IF time during the week is that valuable, then check with robot owners around the forum, several have them and will be more than happy to share their experiences. Again, spreading the cost out over several years compared to the results you will get will probably come out a winning solution for your family.

Best of luck,

Vacuum Pro Series.jpg

Well 4.5 weeks later we just passed the overnight test!!! Whoot.

We likely could have passed it a few days ago -but we could get the timing of the testing to work.

We still have DE on the bottom of the pool.

We sweep several times a day and it is better each day but oh so incremental. Yeesh!

Also the lawn crew blew some dirt into the pool so that's still there and we have what I call micro debris that kicks up when we sweep the bottom. Tiny bits of organic matter that I wouldn't want any one swimming in.

So now we let the chlorine levels fall I guess.

And keep trying to get the DE out.
We are having trouble with our Polaris but I think that will help.

As long as that water is crystal, CC 0 or .5 and that passed OCLT, yes, let FC fall back into target for your current CYA, or just above, and keep it there.
What model Polaris - we can get you some expert help if you wish. What are the things letting you down so far.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.