Multiport: Fix Again or replace? Best choice for new side-mount multiport?

neutral0

Silver Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Stamford, CT.
I have an old Pac-Fab multiport that I inherited when I bought my house. Last year, the mangled gasket caused weeks of undiagnosed problems, because it was essentially letting unfiltered water back into the pool. I replaced it (and had replaced it several times before that) and thought everything was going well. This season, I checked it before I got up and running and it looked good.

Unfortunately, I now have a leak around the handle. I tried moving the handle up and down to reseat the stem o-rings and "fixed" the leak for several days, but now it is leaking again. From what I've read, replacing the stem o-rings isn't easy. The handle is also looser than I remember from when I moved in, so I'm wondering if the spring is a problem too.

I've read that the easiest fix to this is to purchase a new "key assembly," but when I look for prices on this, they are about the same as a new multiport. So my question is: Do I fix this multiport with all the problems it has caused me or do I replace it? If I replace it, is that a really complicated project? And what do I replace it with so that I don't have issues year after year?

Thanks for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.