14 years of pool stores and failure...

I do see a tread towards BLUE! What you are doing IS working! Keep it up whatever it is! LOL Hey you can see your steps! That is something for sure!

Are you running the filter 24/7? Have you been brushing every day?

Kim:kim:

The bottom definitely was not a thing a few days ago! Thanks for the reassurance.

What's the benefit of the variable speed pump? I know my single speed is antiquated just haven't done any research there.

Filter is running 24/7 until this is all situated yeah. And I've either brushed or vacuumed every day since starting as well. There is no debris of any sort left in the pool, the only thing that ever comes up is the settling of the junk that's floating around in the water. There seems to be less and less of that each day which I suppose is a good thing as well.

Reactions: clambert1273
I am certainly late to this thread but, numb, your last post is textbook perfect. That's exactly the progress we hope everyone will see if they use the procedures we have developed.

You have a great grasp on things.:goodjob::goodjob:

Lovely! Gonna be sparkalicious in no time.

Rollercoaster...what advantages do you enjoy most with the VSP? I'm sure I will want to upgrade at some point. I've also seen that some like the dual speeds as well. If this is not a good place to discuss that feel free to PM or direct me to some of your threads!

Numb... I hope your test kit arrives soon!

I don't want to risk hijacking a SLAM thread, but since Numb doesn't have his kit yet anyway, we could probably talk about pumps for a little while? My biggest benefits have been reduced noise and energy consumption. My old pump consumed about 2000 watts. My old timer couldn't be set to run less than an hour per day. I have the VS pump running 2 hours a day at 1,200 RPM, which is 170 watts and not quiet but silent! (it hums a little. I can't hear it over a water heater)

An upgrade seems to make the most sense for people who pay a lot for electricity or have a SWG. I fall into a 3rd, less popular category of not needing much skimming time. I just want basic circulation at the lowest-possible cost.

I'm in rollercoastr's boat, I run my VS pump almost all day (18 hrs) at 1000 RPM. At that speed it burns 57 watts an hour as opposed to the 2200 watts/hr my old one speed super pump used to burn. The savings on electricity has been unbelievable. I used to run my old pump for only 5 hours a day to the tune of $128/month. The VS speed checks in at slightly above $13/month. I was redoing my entire equipment pad and couldn't justify NOT upgrading to the VS pump, even though my super pump was just over 2 years old. I'll recover the cost of the VS ($775) in basically 6 months. A no brainer! I was even able to get $130 for my old pump on craigslist.:D

I have no issue with the topic deviation, a more efficient pump a definite point of interest.

I know my current pump is an absolute energy hog, I'm going to get a harsh reminder of that come the next bill. The difference in cost Dean is stating are kind of mind blowing. That pays for itself really really quickly. In fact, if I can run this thing during the day that would be great since I'm running solar. I'm going to have to start doing research now. What else factors in to the replacement? Really my whole pad needs revamping. I have some old gate valves on my return lines that I don't dare touch because I know they'll bust the first time I try to use them, haven't ever touched them. Would love to be able to get a multi-port valve in here too and a pump basket that isn't solid....whatever metal that thing is made out of.

Time to go venture into some other areas of this site and the Google's.

For solar, you probably would need to run the pump at a higher rpm during the prime heating hours to get that water up to your panels and heated. I don't think 1000 rpms will cut it cause the water flows very slowly. It basically takes 18 hours at that speed to turn my pool water over 1 time, so the savings won't quite be as drastic as mine, but still worth it IMO.

That goes for any suction side cleaners as well. They need more rpms to work properly.

Gotta love those old gate valves. NOT!! Nothing beats the Jandy no lube valves. They turn smooth as butter. As for the equipment pad, it's not very difficult to do it yourself. I did mine to fix the mess that I had before.

Wow Dean...that pad is a thing of beauty! I want to get mine looking like that.

I'm all about savings on electrical so I know I'm gonna need an upgrade. We have not gotten our first electric bill yet but I'm sure it will not be good. I have what looks like an ancient 1.5 HP pump. Kim tried to find it and said that it looks like the motor has been replaced. It's not terribly loud but I only run it at night after I put my bleach in and turn it off in the morning. We shall see what that looks like on the bill. Thanks for sharing all. I will be saving up and starting a pump thread when I get ready to do it. First I will be doing a deep clean on my sand.

Numb. Thanks for letting us chat about this on your thread. It sounded like you may want to upgrade some time too!

Slam on!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the awesome info and pics Dean. To clarify my comment about solar, I'm not looking for it to feed my solar, I have a solar installation that would be dramatically more cost effective to use to run this thing during the day. Sorry for the confusion.

Your new pad looks fantastic. Pool goals left and right around here thats for certain!

Well, looks like the test kit now won't get here until Monday. I really should have gone with the TF-100. Ah well. You live, you learn. Not sure swinging by Wal-mart is really worthwhile to get an accurate CYA test if I can't accurately test the FC level during SLAM.

That being said, the pool has drastically changed color for the better in the last 24 hours. When I brushed last night, I could see the brush head all the way until about 6 inches from the bottom of the deep end. That of course changed post-brushing. Still not perfect by any stretch, but a noticeable improvement. I'll take it.

Daily step pic:
IMG_3384_zpsoz1vq31a.jpg

Just keep doing what you have been doing until your test kit arrives. I didn't see how much bleach you have added, just be sure to put some in daily to make sure you don't take a step or two back waiting on the kit.

Yep,

It's coming your way Numb, just keep at it. When your kit comes, run the FAS/DPD Free Chlorine test first. If it is above 10, and it may not be...but just incase make sure you know where it is. You don't want to determine pH if the FC is 10 or much more. Wait until is below that before running the pH test and making any Acid decisions. Over 10 FC can skew the pH falsely high.

Oh...how much Bleach are you adding each day?

So, I'm using 12.5% liquid chlorine. I was originally adding two 1g bottles a day and over the last two days have dropped down to 1.5. I just used the last of my stock last night and am now crunching numbers to see if there is any local alternative that comes out cheaper. Not finding anything at this point so I'll probably just go refill my crates today @ 12.99 for 4 gallons.

I know I'm most likely not at ideal SLAM levels, I'm guessing it might actually be higher than recommended, just trying to make sure there's no regression before I can test correctly.

And yeah, I've never had a PH issue before that I'm aware of and I had LPS (cringe) test prior to starting this and it was 7.4. I know I can't effectively test PH again until after the SLAM is done. Pretty much just counting on one CYA test, and as long as that is in a good range it'll just be FAS-DPD FC until I pass all 3 SLAM requirements.

Reactions: Kellyp
You will have this licked in no time. You really are doing well man, so not much to do but see the numbers Monday and go from there. You have obviously been doing your homework so all of this is going to come together for you in a snap. Good work!!

Added a single gallon last night and brushed. Including a different pic of the deep end water just for better color representation. Its very shadowy from the angle I've been doing. Step pic included also. Cloudiness continues to gradually regress, it is about midway down the slope to the deep end now. I'm assuming I don't even want to consider DE in the sand filter until post-SLAM?

Thanks for the encouragement and support. So long as UPS doesn't spoil my party yet again, I'll have numbers tomorrow.

IMG_3387_zps3lpkenpr-1.jpg

IMG_3385_zpsgdjdhsq7-1.jpg

IMG_3388_zpsxkmljiam-1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.