Serious help needed

Awesome...thanks so much for checking those things, Richard! I just wanted to make sure that we can get this finished off.

The pictures are showing a good deal of improvement and overall your FC consumption is not especially high for 30k gallons considering that at normal non-slam levels UV would use a good few ppms per day.

The only thing that seemed strange to me is this:
Normal can vary from about 7 psi to 17 psi

That's a pretty wide variance unless your pump is variable speed. Eg. On my system, I get about 7 psi if I've dropped down to 2100 rpms. Full on, I get 17-ish. Every system is different, and you ARE operating with the main drain mostly closed, but keep an eye on it and if you can, report "when" its low, when its high, etc. Makes sure when its low that there's nothing clogging your pump basket.

I'd think the variance would make it difficult to tell when to backwash. You don't want to backwash too often as a slightly dirty filter is better at catching stuff. But you also don't the pressure much more than 25% above clean pressure.

At an rate, you are definitely getting there. Keep up the great work!

Test results at 600 AM CST July 23rd

FC 18.5
CYA 45

A touch more visibilty this morning. I can now see a moderate concentration of debris in the deep end closest to the mid level. The latter is aproximately 5-7 feet from the concentration on the slope. Pictures to follow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Concentration of debris in the deep end that is barely visible.
63b31388fa0948edcfaec887fc3ac2ab.jpg
72c555d8a3bb8b1d90645e5fede28285.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The above picture shows a barely visible amount of debris in the deep end. This concentration is about 5-7 feet from the very visible concentration on the slope, shown in the first picture. I am hoping that visibility of the deep end will improve markedly by the end of next week.

Test at 1000AM CST July 23rd

FC 17

A few points worth noting. First, there is noticably less residue and waste that discolors the hairnet skimmers. Second, I find that I can add greater amounts of DE to the skimmers (frequency, not necessarily volume), and it has less effect on raising the PSI. Third, the PSI has remained stable at around 6, whereas in prior days or weeks my normal operating PSI would be between 15 and 20. Third, backwashing necessity has lessened. Fourth, more areas are becomming slightly more visible in the deep end. For example, I can see spots of debris sitting on the floor in the corner and near corner areas. The water looks clean, not cloudy, and has a bluish/green cast to it. Thus, there still remains green to be resolved. One can see areas of the floor of the deep end, but reflections, shadows, and waves make it a strain. Certainly, areas near the side walls are much easier to see. Peering at the center of the pool and attempting to see the floor is not possible right now.

Onward ! :cool:

I am hoping that by the end of the next 7 days visibility will improve enough in the deep end to see what's going on. :confused:

Meanwhile, I am going to be a bit more aggressive with the DE hoping that the improved clarity will lessen the cleaning load, and speed up the process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.