Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool filter not filtering when adding CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool filter not filtering when adding CYA

Question.

Is it normal to see the CYA granuals that you put in the basket come straight out of the return and into the pool? Also getting alot of debris settling on the bottom of pool.
    12x24 AGP, 10k, 1 hp 2 speed Waterway pump, Hayward C900 Cartridge filter, Polaris 65, maintained by Walmart's 6% Bleach.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool filter no filtering when adding CYA

not if your filter is working properly
    I would check for channeled sand and/or broken laterals.

3. Back To Top    #3

or make sure your filter is not set to recirculate...ie bypassing the filter. It should not allow the cya to pass through
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

It sounds like your sand could be channelled. Read this article:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-sa...-it-t7626.html
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. I just replaced the sand this season, checke all the laterals and nothing I could see. I did have to replace the botton of the multiport, but all internal look good. I probably have to check everything again. The pool sand was from HD, but it said pool sand.
    12x24 AGP, 10k, 1 hp 2 speed Waterway pump, Hayward C900 Cartridge filter, Polaris 65, maintained by Walmart's 6% Bleach.

6. Back To Top    #6

Just went and pulled the multiport. Sand was level and not channeled. A little bit of the CYA was on top of the sand, but most is in the pool. Almost seems like it just bypassed the filter and went straight out.

7. Back To Top    #7

After checking the sand and it's good, not channelized. Do you'll think it may be the multi port? I checked the laterals this year when I replaced the sand.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by cd
    The pool sand was from HD, but it said pool sand.
    Don't want to sound insulting, just being sure. When it said pool sand, did it also say #20 silica sand? The sand should be white. Just being sure you didn't accidentally put sand meant for leveling or going under a pool in the filter.

If it is the right sand, and it's not channeled, then I'd look at that multiport. It could be something as simple as the spider gasket not being seated correctly and allowing debris to pass through.

HTH,
    Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

9. Back To Top    #9

Re: Pool filter not filtering when adding CYA

Thnks, I did make sure it was the pool sand. one of those OCD things, kept looking at it to make sure, and then checking again. I'll take the multiport aprt and see.

Thanks,

10. Back To Top    #10

I put a nylon stocking over the return yesterday as I read that was something to try on this site. I went out this morning and found a fist full of junk, pieces of bugs included. I'm leaning toward the multiport. I just hate to sink more money into this filter, already put $90 on the Valve Body Assembly earlier this year. the complete multiport is $158 plus shipping and the Plug and Gasket Assembly is about $40. At the crossroads between trying to repair or replace.

11. Back To Top    #11

This weekend I decided to take the sand filter apart and check it out. Took the old sand out. Checked all laterals and piping and found no cracks or bad pieces. Put it back together and replaced the sand with new from pool store. Thought it could have been the Home Depot pool sand? I put a stocking back on after replacement. 2 hours later I had small bugs and but peices in the stocking. Does anyone have any ideas on what else it could be. Could it be the multiport? It does not leak out of the waste when running. I'm out of ideas and am getting ready to chunk the thing and start over.

Thanks,
    CD

12. Back To Top    #12

sounds like the multiport to me. Check your spider gasket.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks, I'l check that tonite. I did check open it up a couple of weeks ago while having the same problem. It's kinda a one piece combo plastice and gasket. I didn't see any rips, but I'll have to look better. Any chance it may be the pump pushing to much water into the filter. It's a waterway 1hp 2 speed (SF 1.1) and the filter is a 200 lb.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    sounds like the multiport to me. Check your spider gasket.

14. Back To Top    #14

Update.
    I gave up on the sand filter and ordered a Hayward C900. It came in last weekend. After installing it saturday morning, let it run, and by 5 pm that day the pool was crystal clear again. I'm going to purchase and extra filter to make cleaning easier.

Thanks to all.