Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Daily chlorine additions...why?

1. Back To Top    #1

Daily chlorine additions...why?

My CYA is about 50. Maintaining somewhere between 6-8 FC, with about a 3ppm loss per day (full sun in TX). I've seen several posts asking if certain levels of FC are too high, and the response is always that you can bring FC up to shock level and still swim safely. So if that is true, my question is: why not put several days worth of chlorine/bleach in the pool and avoid daily readings/additions? Obviously with a pool party or a big rainfall I'd need to take an extra reading...but with normal usage and predictable FC loss, why is a daily addition recommended?
    13.5k gallon IG gunite
    200sf Pentair C&C cartridge
    Pentair SuperFlo 1.5HP dual speed
    Rainbow 320 (vacation chlorine)
    Built in 1999, re-plastered and re-coped in 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Daily chlorine additions...why?

If you are familiar enough with your pool, there is no need to add chlorine every day. The point is to never allow it below the minimum, whatever that means for you. If your pool doesn't get a lot of sun, doesn't get a lot of bather load, and you know what your daily drop is normally, you might be fine every 2-3 days. If you have the most popular pool in the neighborhood in Texas, you are going to have to stay on top of it more.
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

3. Back To Top    #3

Makes sense. Conveniently I am losing the equivalent of about half a gallon of bleach per day. Just opening a gallon jug and dumping the whole thing every other day would be 50% less work.
    13.5k gallon IG gunite

4. Back To Top    #4

Because all that "extra" chlorine over recommended chart levels will burn off at a LOT faster rate. It's just a waste.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by rephil View Post
    ...my question is: why not put several days worth of chlorine/bleach in the pool and avoid daily readings/additions?
    The higher the CL level is maintained above the target level suggested for your CYA, the more chlorine will be lost to the affects of the sun. The additional chlorine above the recommended CYA/Chlorine target is not as protected from the sunlight as the chlorine that has bonded with CYA. You will sacrifice more chlorine to sunlight if you maintain the higher levels. Just a guess, but if you lose 3 ppm a day now, you might lose 4-5 ppm a day by running at elevated levels so while it might be more convenient for you to add more chlorine less often, you will use more chlorine in the long term.
    Dave in Phoenix, AZ, USA
    12,000 gallon IG (5' max depth) , Pebble-tec,
    Hayward SP2303 Maxflo 1.65 HP, Triton TR60 sand filter, 1 skimmer, Pool Devil skimmer, 3 returns, 1 aerator port, Navigator suction-side sweep, Hayward valve actuator, Rainbird sprinkler timer used for valve automation and chlorine injection. Softened water used for makeup.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Just saying the same thing another way......chlorine loss tends to be a percentage of available FC.

Theoretically, let's say your FC loss in your pool is 40%.

So, when you put the FC up to five ppm, you can expect it to be 3 ppm in 24 hours.....a loss of 2 ppm

Now, that means if you put your FC up to 15 ppm, you can expect your loss to be 6 ppm daily.....triple the consumption

It doesn't work out quite that drastic but you get the idea.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

This is good info, didn't know this stuff. I also looked at PoolMath and for any given CYA level the "Daily Target" is always a 3ppm window. For me it's 6-8, but could be 7-9 or 15-17, etc. What's the logic/science behind that?

I'm still leaning towards an every-other-day amount of bleach, even if it costs me a few extra bucks per month it seems worth doing half the labor.
    13.5k gallon IG gunite

8. Back To Top    #8

For the last 2 years (since getting to know how much my pool consumes) I put in 1/2 a gallon on tue and the other 1/2 on saturday.

I'm always 2ppm above the recommended minimum when I test and add more.

It could be a bit wasteful, I just don't feel like dosing a much smaller amount every day.

works for me.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Kudos to borjis!! That is a very smart schedule that newbies can learn from starting off daily and then working back to a schedule like his. It is minutely wasteful but makes great sense to shoot for that goal.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Kudos to borjis!! That is a very smart schedule that newbies can learn from starting off daily and then working back to a schedule like his. It is minutely wasteful but makes great sense to shoot for that goal.
    I don't think that schedule will fly in Texas when mine eats 80 ounces daily................................
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

11. Back To Top    #11

Chlorine in the Sun has a half-life. So half of it burns off in a certain amount of time. Let's say with your cya it has a half life of 24 hours. If you raise it to 9ppm… over 24 hours you'll lose 4.5ppm. if you raise it to 18ppm... You'll lose 9 in 24 hours.

You could do it, but the time savings of 2 minutes every other day would probably cost you 25-50%more in chlorine

That being said I cover my pool always when not in use and generally can add to the maximum recommended regular level and have it last 2-3 days, so if you keep your pool covered with a darker UV protected cover it can really help.

23K gallon, vinyl liner, 1hp pump, 300 lb sand filter, Fafco solar panels, jandy lite 2 heater, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Here again, its a percentage factor. The Recommended Minimum FC is 7.5% of your CYA and on the high side, it's 11.5%.

If the next question is "well, how do you know", then this link will provide the science of the FC/CYA relationship as well as all of the other parameters which TFP promotes.. TFP isn't just a bunch of numbers that just happen to "work". What is taught here and the recommendations is proven in both real life and by chemical science. You don't often see this info provided because it is very complicated... but anyways, if you want to have a look, this is it.

The good people here at TFP took this information and provided simple and easy to follow charts and recommendations for the everyday pool owner to use. And Pool Math just puts the icing on the cake for us.

Pool Water Chemistry

Quote Originally Posted by rephil View Post
    This is good info, didn't know this stuff. I also looked at PoolMath and for any given CYA level the "Daily Target" is always a 3ppm window. For me it's 6-8, but could be 7-9 or 15-17, etc. What's the logic/science behind that?

I'm still leaning towards an every-other-day amount of bleach, even if it costs me a few extra bucks per month it seems worth doing half the labor.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    Here again, its a percentage factor. The Recommended Minimum FC is 7.5% of your CYA and on the high side, it's 11.5%.
    Not sure I follow this logic. On PoolMath you can put the CYA at any number, try 500, and the "Daily Target" is always a 3ppm window (51 to 53 in that case). That tells me it's not based on a percentage of CYA.
    13.5k gallon IG gunite

14. Back To Top    #14

The recommended FC level in PoolMath is based on the Now CYA level.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    The recommended FC level in PoolMath is based on the Now CYA level.
    Yes, I know. But that's not the question. Why is the "Daily Target" a 3ppm window for any "now" CYA level? For a CYA of 20 it is 3-5. For 500 it is 51-53.
    13.5k gallon IG gunite

16. Back To Top    #16

I misread that. It is just a suggested range to help people target a number that will keep FC above minimum. The important fact is that FC must be maintained above minimum at all times to keep the pool sanitized and algae free. We have tried various target suggestions over time to help folks stay above minimum. This is just the latest iteration, it used to be a single number but because FC consumption is different in different pools people would raise FC to that number and then when they went to add more FC it was below minimum. As long as FC is above minimum when chlorine is added the next time then you are good to go.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks! I can't derive the formula, but that makes sense. At a CYA of 50 the Daily Target range is 2-4ppm higher than the minimum, which makes sense given most people see a 3ppm daily drop in FC. The difference gets larger at higher CYA levels, but at CYA of 100 or below it seems to stay within the 'normal' FC loss.
    13.5k gallon IG gunite