Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stabilizer question

1. Back To Top    #1

Stabilizer question

I know the addition on Stabilizer to increase CYA will lower PH level, but will FC increase at all while adding? My FC numbers are not adding up this morning after two separate doses of it.
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, Jandy Proflo 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Stabilizer question

Only if the CYA is in the form of Dichlor/Trichlor. If it's 100% CYA, no, FC shouldn't rise.

How much of an increase are we talking?
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

FC will not increase just from adding CYA. FC losses from sunlight will decrease so you won't lose as much in a day. You are adding FC via the SWG, so if FC is climbing, you need to lower the output percentage on your SWG or reduce pump run time.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Just regular 100% stabilizer added. Yesterday morning FC was at 4. I added 38 oz of 10% bleach to bring it to 6. Put solar cover on yesterday for the first time. Checked FC this morning and I am getting 7.5. My PH did lower from 7.5 to about 7.2 or 7.3

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    FC will not increase just from adding CYA. FC losses from sunlight will decrease so you won't lose as much in a day. You are adding FC via the SWG, so if FC is climbing, you need to lower the output percentage on your SWG or reduce pump run time.
    Haven't turned SWG on for the season yet, just using bleach.
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, Jandy Proflo 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    Only if the CYA is in the form of Dichlor/Trichlor. If it's 100% CYA, no, FC shouldn't rise.

How much of an increase are we talking?
    Just checked the CYA container to make sure. It is Clorox saltwater stabilizer. Principal Functioning agent is 100% Cyanic Acid.
    Mark

6. Back To Top    #6

Tested FC this morning and it was at 5.5. Must have been a testing error on my part yesterday. Still learning!!!!!
    Mark

7. Back To Top    #7

My CYA is not rising using Clorox Saltwater Stabilizer, or not enough too tell anyway!
    Mark

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by kywildcats View Post
    My CYA is not rising using Clorox Saltwater Stabilizer, or not enough too tell anyway!
    If it's all dissolved and has had a couple days to mix, it should show.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

I added 36 ounces (give or take an ounce or two) in two separate doses late last week and weekend. It started about 50 and is still hanging there this morning. I got 16 more ounces going in now.
    Mark