Stabilizer question

kywildcats

Bronze Supporter
Jul 23, 2015
Mayfield, KY
I know the addition on Stabilizer to increase CYA will lower PH level, but will FC increase at all while adding? My FC numbers are not adding up this morning after two separate doses of it.

domct203

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 3, 2015
CT
Only if the CYA is in the form of Dichlor/Trichlor. If it's 100% CYA, no, FC shouldn't rise.

How much of an increase are we talking?

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
FC will not increase just from adding CYA. FC losses from sunlight will decrease so you won't lose as much in a day. You are adding FC via the SWG, so if FC is climbing, you need to lower the output percentage on your SWG or reduce pump run time.

OP
OP
kywildcats

kywildcats

Bronze Supporter
Jul 23, 2015
Mayfield, KY
Just regular 100% stabilizer added. Yesterday morning FC was at 4. I added 38 oz of 10% bleach to bring it to 6. Put solar cover on yesterday for the first time. Checked FC this morning and I am getting 7.5. My PH did lower from 7.5 to about 7.2 or 7.3

- - - Updated - - -

FC will not increase just from adding CYA. FC losses from sunlight will decrease so you won't lose as much in a day. You are adding FC via the SWG, so if FC is climbing, you need to lower the output percentage on your SWG or reduce pump run time.
Haven't turned SWG on for the season yet, just using bleach.

OP
OP
kywildcats

kywildcats

Bronze Supporter
Jul 23, 2015
Mayfield, KY
I added 36 ounces (give or take an ounce or two) in two separate doses late last week and weekend. It started about 50 and is still hanging there this morning. I got 16 more ounces going in now.