Slowly progressing...

We did some raking, and beeping (with the laser level) today after work. It’s getting really close now...

big dig2.jpg
... I’m hoping to finish with this site work either Wednesday or Friday depending on the weather.

Last edited:
Sorry just saw this post for the first time.
We got our pool for free from a neighbor 12 years ago so we know what you are going thru. I have stories. LOL

Don't want to worry you but pool liners should be measured in "mil" not "gauge". A 25 gauge liner is thinner than a 20 mil liner, closer to 17-20 mil so I hope it works out. Hopefully you meant mil and not gauge.
Mil vs Gauge What Is The Deal With Liner Thickness abovegroundpool

WOW! How did I miss this one! You have been doing a great job! Working two jobs, Dad, husband, wood cutter, hole digger, etc! Nice job!

The next time you have a min. you will need to fill in your signature so we will have your pool details at a glance.

Kim:kim:

That's great. Keep up the good work. Slow and steady wins the race and it will be a great satisfaction when its done, knowing you took your time to get it right.

We got our free pool just before the 4th of July, before going on vacation. When we returned we started the dig. It was finally finished August of the following year doing all the work ourselves. I understand, we have stories. LOL

Don't want to worry you but pool liners should be measured in "mil" not "gauge". A 25 gauge liner is thinner than a 20 mil liner, closer to 17-20 mil so I hope it works out. Hopefully you meant mil and not gauge.
Mil vs Gauge What Is The Deal With Liner Thickness abovegroundpool

Too late!...lol...I just spent the last hour or so (off and on) looking into the whole gauge vs. mil thing. I appreciate you bringing it to my attention!

I even contacted the seller (pool supplies.com) where I bought my liner, and they gave an interesting reply...

The actual thickness of the liner will vary, and will not always be measuring at the same thickness as another of the same gauge. They will typically measure somewhere between 18-22 mils in thickness, but will not effect the liner itself.”

Then I found this...

http://www.backyardcitypools.com/Articles/Mil-Vs-Gauge.htm

...which pretty much contradicts the link you posted.

So should I just use the one I have?...I can’t find any online for an Esther Williams pool my size that’s listed in mil. I found a 30 gauge one for about $100 more than I paid. I’m not opposed to returning the one I have and getting the thicker one.

Thanks a lot mariane!...I thought I was all set! lol

WOW! How did I miss this one! You have been doing a great job! Working two jobs, Dad, husband, wood cutter, hole digger, etc! Nice job!

The next time you have a min. you will need to fill in your signature so we will have your pool details at a glance.

Kim:kim:
Thank you very much, I appreciate it!

I will try to do a sig soon!

- - - Updated - - -

Partsman, I take my hat off and salute you!! Progress is still progress, no matter how quickly or slow it may happen. You rock!
Thank you very much sir, I appreciate that!

That's great. Keep up the good work. Slow and steady wins the race and it will be a great satisfaction when its done, knowing you took your time to get it right.

We got our free pool just before the 4th of July, before going on vacation. When we returned we started the dig. It was finally finished August of the following year doing all the work ourselves. I understand, we have stories. LOL
Thank you!

We’re getting there...slowly...but yes, I am taking my time to make sure everything is right.

Too late!...lol...I just spent the last hour or so (off and on) looking into the whole gauge vs. mil thing. I appreciate you bringing it to my attention!

I even contacted the seller (pool supplies.com) where I bought my liner, and they gave an interesting reply...

The actual thickness of the liner will vary, and will not always be measuring at the same thickness as another of the same gauge. They will typically measure somewhere between 18-22 mils in thickness, but will not effect the liner itself.”

Then I found this...

http://www.backyardcitypools.com/Articles/Mil-Vs-Gauge.htm

...which pretty much contradicts the link you posted.

So should I just use the one I have?...I can’t find any online for an Esther Williams pool my size that’s listed in mil. I found a 30 gauge one for about $100 more than I paid. I’m not opposed to returning the one I have and getting the thicker one.

This shows the thicknesses of each a little better: Comparing Vinyl Liner Thickness: Mil vs. Gauge (ga) | Ameri-Brand

30 gauge is closer to a 25 mil liner. 25 gauge is pretty close to 20 mil and many pool companies install 20 mil with no problems. I've read that many liner companies put one thickness on the walls and a different thickness on the floor of the liner. Making sure what thickness you have will answer some questions.

We went with a 25 mil expandable liner since we put in a deep end and that is what Doughboy requires. The salesman thought 20 mil could work, but with an expandable liner, the thicker mil is needed since it is stretched to fit.

Either way, make sure to put a gorilla pad underneath and get out all rocks and roots. That should help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sooo...I’m still lining up my ducks...and I just googled the filter that came with the pool (pics on page 2) ...I had absolutely no idea it was a cartridge style filter!
It's a Sta-Rite PLM100, it doesn’t seem to be a cheap unit, and most of the literature states that it is “superior filtration to sand filters” ...and apparently it pretty easy to clean...

“The Modular Media filter contains a one-piece module that simply drops into an easily accessible tank. When cleaning is necessary, just remove the lid (no tools are necessary) and spray-rinse the module while it is still in place. It only takes minutes to thoroughly clean the filter and get back into service—fast.”

I'm just wondering if I should use it or go with a sand filter.

Tonight my wife and I were leveling, and beeping, and skimming, and raking...when she found a little rock just barely poking through the surface...so of course, we’re going to dig it out...

rock.png
rock2.png
...yea, wasn’t expecting that! haha

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.