My head is swimming!

gbest

Apr 3, 2016
South of Boston MA
I'm looking to add a SWG and a variable speed or variable flow pump to my 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool.
I currently have a 1hp single speed pump with 2" lines, 2 skimmers, 1 floor drain, 3 floor returns and 4 wall returns, gas heater and Polaris 280 w/booster pump, Sta-Rite cartridge filter with 100GPM capacity, filter, heater and Polaris are controlled by a pair if Intermatic mechanical time clocks.

My questions are:
is a Sta-Rite 3hp VS pump OK, or too big?
Is Variable flow preferred over variable speed?
I like the Pentair Intellichlor IC40, but am concerned that I'd need to also get the Easytouch automation to control it in smaller increments.

I can rewire and replumb as needed, just need some guidance from the experts.

"I like the Pentair Intellichlor IC40, but am concerned that I'd need to also get the Easytouch automation to control it in smaller increments."

Full disclosure, I am not an expert, but...lots of folks run their SWG at 100% and control the output by how long the pump runs (no need for the Easytouch). If you wanted, the Pentair can be adjusted in 20% increments which is more than adequate.

G,

In my opinion, there is no such thing as a Variable Speed Pump that is too big. They really should be called Variable HP pumps.. You basically select the HP that suits your particular situation. When generating chlorine with a SWCG, you can set your HP (speed) at some fraction of a HP.. When running your waterfall, you can select more HP to increase the flow to where it looks just right or maybe reduce the HP so it just trickles. This is the great advantage of having a large variable speed pump. :p Of course this comes with the great disadvantage of the initial cost... :(

I would stay away from the variable flow pumps as they have not been received as well as the variable speed pumps.

As pointed out by Philo, many people here manage their SWCGs by pump run time.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.