PammyB

Jun 27, 2021
Hudson, Quebec
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’m pretty sure I will need to replace by pool pump .
I currently have a pool Sta-Rite , Dyn-glas pump??
If I get a variable speed pump will I need an electrician to install it or new electrical work ? I just spend loads of money on electrical for our heater I don’t want to do any more!
I just want to swap out the pump , do I need to buy a certain type to do this?

If I get a variable speed pump will I need an electrician to install it or new electrical work ?
Not necessarily. If you have some basic electrical (and PVC plumbing) DIY skills, you can do it. You can post pics of your current set-up, equipment pad plumbing, and electrical connections. Lots of folks here who can help give you pointers. If you believe it's still too much for your DIY skills, we can at least arm you with enough knowledge so that a local tech doesn't try to take advantage of you.

Let us know if we can be of further assistance. Have a good day. :swim:

As someone that just changed from an older single speed to a variable speed, here's what I did first:

In my case, the pump is Jandy... so I contacted them and asked them what the equivalent variable speed was. I then verified that the fittings were the same (input and ejection). After receiving the new pump, I double checked those fittings. If the fittings didn't match, some plumbing work would have been required.

After that, it was 3 wires and a RS485 connector. One was loose, so I had some issues, but the members here were a huge help.

As long as you are comfortable shutting off circuit breakers and changing the wires, it's pretty simple.

Thanks so much - I ended up taking my pump to a tiny local pool repair shop and getting single speed replacement with the same size fittings - there is a heat wave here and wanted it replaced today fast , I have a handy friend installing it now - hoping it goes as planned , probably should have invested and got a variable speed one elsewhere but at least we will be back in pool right away c it’s 100+ degrees …

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.