OMG forgot everything I learned 3 years ago

Sorry for the lack of responses ... busy season is kicking off and we had gotten you on the right path and seemed like you had things going well. ;)

Many of your posts were not actually asking any questions :D

No problem jblizzle
I was not sure if I was on the right track or not. Love to get input from you pro's!
Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

numbers this evening
FC 8
CC .05
PH-over the top again
TA 180
CH 25
CYA unknown because the sun was down
Will check in the morning and add and muriatic acid to change the PH

No problem Chanelvaps. Also, can you post a picture of your pool in its current state?

As far as the filter pressure, make sure all skimmer baskets are empty, and backwash the filter. As soon as you stop backwashing and start filtering again, check the filter pressure. This is your new 'Normal' filter pressure. Whenever it rises 25%, which COULD happen rather quickly (Within a couple hours) while there is so much debris and algae in the pool, it needs to be backwashed again.

numbers today
PH-8.2
FC-10
C.C .5
CH-25
TA-100
CYA-10
Raining here yesterday and today.
PoolMath says add acid but not sure if I need to because it says PH is unreliable during SALM.
Pool is blue but very very cloudy.
Gauge always says 11. Does not change

Yes your PH is high. Let your FC drift down to around 8.5 or 9 and check PH. The PH test is unreliable over FC 10.
In previous post, you said you put a 5lb of CYA, and was instructed to add half of another 5lb. Did you do this?
If so, your CYA should be close to 40. According to the FC / CYA chart you should have FC 16 to reach shock level.

If this was my pool, this is what I would do:
- Let FC drift down to 8.5
- Take PH Sample
- Based on that sample and PoolMath, I would add MA to get PH down to around 7.2
- Once PH hits 7.2, start the SLAM process.
- Assume CYA is in the pool (CYA 40)
- raise FC to 16, and hold it there for the next couple of days, until you pass the OCLT

Just remember, the more often you can test the FC, the quicker the process will go.

Brushing often (Everytime you add bleach and between) will mix the water and get any fine debris hopefully to the filter.

Remember, the pool didn't go green overnight. So don't expect it to get clear overnight either. ;)

You are doing good! Just hang in there a bit longer!! :cool:

--------------Edited--------------------
I just noticed where Sunday, your PH was 7.2 and now, two days later, it is 8.2. The only reason PH would go up is because of high TA, aeration, or plaster that is still curing. It wouldn't hurt to let your FC still drop down and check anyways, but I would say this is what is causing the high PH reading.

HI Digital
No I stupidly put 2 boxes of Borax in it when I thought the PH was too low. Do not know what I was thinking when I did it. )Aside from the fact that I am frazzled beyond belief with my daughter and 18 month old moving in with me unexpectedly and under a crunch to get this house up and sold so we can both move on to our new places) lots of stress and now I am asking myself why I did this. Thinking I read Poolmath wrong.
I read what you would do and I am going to do it, but one thing, I thought I was in SLAM process and you say once PH is down, begin it.

- - - Updated - - -

Based on what you said Digital, I am going to wait until FC is 8.5, then I will do Poolmath and add appropriate amount of MA.

Yes I did add another 2 socks full of of Stabilizer. Threw other two socks away as there was not much left in them. It does not seem to be dissolving. It is barely recognizable and at a 10 at most.

- - - Updated - - -

Also not a plaster pool but a vinyl one

You are definitely doing the SLAM right now, but you need to drop down FC to get the PH balanced. Anything FC under 10 will be fine to get the PH reading. And if you add anything to the pool, like borax, let us know so we can keep that in mind as we guide you otherwise.

Keep massaging those socks hourly. It shouldn't take more than a day to get it all in there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tons of rain overnight
PH is still off the charts
FC-5

Added MA and Bleach. Massaged the heck out the the socks
Called to Chattanooga for an Emergency.
When back tonight going to brush entire pool, massage the socks until I am blue in the face and test again.
Thanks all!

- - - Updated - - -

forgot to add
Back washed (gauge on 10) and water is not dirty anymore through site glass, rinsed and set to filter

PH is back to normal
Staying on top of the chlorine this time and hoping I am in SLAM mode. Massaging the heck out of socks. Brushed and back washed the pool. Getting clearer.

- - - Updated - - -

Still some cloudiness which I assume is algae. To soon to expect to pass the OCLT test. Maybe by this weekend.

The cloudiness is normally the last part to clear up. Do you have a ant filter? If so, to help out with those fine particles, you could add about a cup full of DE to your skimmer. The DE will act like a magnet inside your sand filter and will help clear up the water faster. Just be careful when you first add it, to watch your filter pressure. Your filter pressure could rise quickly by picking up all the extra particles. Once it rises, backwash and add the DE back to the skimmer.

The cloudiness is normally the last part to clear up. Do you have a ant filter? If so, to help out with those fine particles, you could add about a cup full of DE to your skimmer. The DE will act like a magnet inside your sand filter and will help clear up the water faster. Just be careful when you first add it, to watch your filter pressure. Your filter pressure could rise quickly by picking up all the extra particles. Once it rises, backwash and add the DE back to the skimmer.

Very interested in this. First was that a typo or did you say "ant" filter? If so NO I do not have that. I have a sand filter. Can I add DE which I am assuming is Diatomaceous Earth?
Also need to report latest news. Daughter vacuumed last night and forgot to change things from 'waste' and this morning we have a much lower level of water int he pool. Drained to below skimmer level.
Just woke up and need to go get numbers but need this CUP OF JOE more than anything.
More to come...

If I can add DE please tell me how. Exactly please. Never done this. Hoping you do not mind talking to me like I am four. I need that.
Thanks so much Digital

PH-7.2 YAY
FC 4
CC 0.5
CH 25
TA 80
Even after filing 1/4 of the pool with hose water I seem to have retained my numbers well.
So according to this chart:
Vinyl with Bleach
FC 3-7 (See chart)
pH 7.2-7.8
TA 50-90+
CH 0-350 (Don't add)
CYA 30-50
I seem to have the right numbers right?
Not sure what I do next. Is it bring chlorine up really high and see if it stays there overnight? Is that correct and is that the SLAM process? Sorry to be so dumb at this. I have too much other stuff going on with the selling of this house and am not retaining much information on this subject

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention CYA. Still massaging socks but I feel I am probably only at 10 again with losing so much water and if so can I just stay at 10?
Not sure I understand why it has to be brought up to 40

- - - Updated - - -

could not check CYA because it is dark here and had dentist appointments and had to fill the water in 2 hour increments getting done after dark

Sorry for the long delay in response. Yes, sorry for the typo, I did mean sand filter. And yes DE is diatomaceous earth. I buy mine at the local pool store. But big box retailers like lowes or Home Depot should have it in their pool section. I would add about 1 cup of DE right into the skimmer with the pool running. It should disappear quickly. At this point, keep an eye on your filter pressure because it probably will go up quickly with the addition of DE.

As far as the CYA, dumping 1/4 of your pool will drop your CYA about 25%. You still need to add more CYA. The IDEAL target CYA is between 30 and 40 for you. CYA protects your chlorine against the suns UV rays, but too much makes your chlorine ineffective. I know you want to get this thing cleaned and ready to sell, and hopefully you only have a couple days left! ... Still, the MOST important thing right now is to keep your FC at shock level.

Hi Digital
Ok going to Home Depot to buy DE (from pool section) and more stabilizer. Going to add a cup of DE to skimmer. Then watch pressure.
Going to continue to use socks and get CYA to 30-40 and add bleach according to CYA level.

Question:
If my CYA is only 10 and my FC is 10, arent I in SLAM mode then anyway?

I get that the CYA needs to be higher eventually but WHILE it is getting there I only need the amount of chlorine to coincide with current CYA right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.