Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae after shock

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae after shock

Pool was shocked and balanced last week and still have algea on sides and bottom that I can't scrub off. Any recommendation to remove. Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae after shock

Please define "was shocked".
    If you just randomly threw in some powder, that is why you still have algae.
    Also please define "balanced" ... what are you testing with and what are the results?

We recommend following the SLAM process to eradicate algae.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Please define "was shocked".
    If you just randomly threw in some powder, that is why you still have algae.
    Also please define "balanced" ... what are you testing with and what are the results?

We recommend following the SLAM process to eradicate algae.
    It was professionally shocked. I'm not sure what he tested for but he uses a professional test kit and said all levels were balanced. I hope that helps

- - - Updated - - -

This was his response for the stains "The green spots on wall are algae stain. The plaster is completely worn off and stain is in concrete, it may come out after salt system starts generating."

4. Back To Top    #4

LOL ... sorry, "professionally shocked" is just about the funniest thing I have read on this forum.

We are here to teach owners to maintain their own pools ... and we are more than happy to teach you.
    But, if you are relying on "professionals" to maintain your pool, there is not much we can help you with as our methods will differ from what they are doing.

If you want to take control, step 1 is investing in one of the recommended test kits, see link in my signature.
    We also have a great resource called Pool School that will help you start to understand your pool. Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I appreciate your response. My pump broke while I was out of town and I came back to a very green pool. I didn't have the ability to bring it back to the previous state. However I do have my own test kit and do plan on doing my own maintenance from here on.

6. Back To Top    #6

Great. Which test kit? Is it one of the recommended ones with the FAS-DPD chlorine test?

Post up results.
    Jason, TFP Moderator