Hoping not to drown-new owner of a pool

Re: Hoping not to drown - new owner of a pool

Felipe - you were exactly right! I had actually just figured this out from some troubleshooting I did on the internet and was opening the app to post about my success!

I backwashed the filter for 2 minutes, to get the filter full and clear some sand from the clear viewing glass, then moved it to rinse for 30 seconds, now it's on recirculate... all 4 returns are functioning!

Test kit should be delivered today, so I can get first levels and then figure out where to go.

Thanks for the help so far everyone!

Should I keep updating this, or start a new thread in "just getting started??

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Re: Hoping not to drown - new owner of a pool

TFP comes through again!

Rufus I am going to move this whole thread to Just getting started. It needs to stay as it is really a big part of your "story" BUT you have outgrown into!

Kim:kim:

Look what came yesterday! Guess what I'm doing after work? Learning what my levels are So I can figure out where to start!
cf156b60b5d8c348d0ef712b66c233f1.jpg

SWEET! Here are some tricks for the tests:

-PH-hold something white behind the tube. It will help you find the color match. I have a white, plastic plate I keep with the kit.

-TA-it will "flash" when you add the drops. It does not count until the color stays changed.

FC-if you let it sit for a bit after the pink goes away it might turn pink again. That does not count or matter.

CYA-GLANCE on only! Do NOT stare! Pour the mixture to the first line (100), GLANCE in. If you see the dot pour to the next line and GLANCE in. Keep going until you cannot see the dot at a GLANCE.

When you get your tests done please list them like this:

FC
CC
PH
TA
CH
CYA

It will take a little while the first couple/few times but once you get used to it the tests will go faster!

Kim - A quick question for clarification:

In the SLAM instructions it states: SLAMing an outdoor pool is most effective when CYA is around 30 to 40. Below 30 you lose too much chlorine to sunlight. As CYA goes up, SLAMing requires more and more chlorine, which starts to get impractical around 80 or 90. With CYA above 90 we recommend replacing water to get CYA down before you start the SLAM process.

If I am correct, the recommended CYA level for a pool with Salt Water Chlorine Generator is 60-80.

My question is: do we leave CYA where it is, assuming it is lower than 60-80, and then raise it after the SLAM, or should we increase it to the 60-80 before the SLAM and just accept that it will require additional Chlorine?

I'm just trying to be sure I am ready for this... My plan is to go pick up a bunch of Chlorine tomorrow after work, before we get started on this, so that we can be sure we have a good bit for the initial SLAM. I'm expecting 10 gallons to start. I'll also be picking up Baking Soda and some Muriatic Acid, just in case... though not in the same enormous quantity.

Anything else I should plan to have on hand - just in case??

Do NOT raise you CYA yet. You are correct in that the more CYA you the more bleach you will need. For a SLAM a CYA of 30 is purrfect, SWG or no SWG. It offers enough protection from the sun for now. When your SLAM is done THEN you will want to push your CYA up to match your SWG's needs.

How easy is it for you to the store for beach? If it is easy then 10 will be fine BUT chances are you will need to get more and I would hate for it to be a "trip" to town to get some more. Oh and just wait for the looks you will get LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like rain is going to be coming down off and on all weekend. Aside from getting wet while adding chlorine and testing levels, will this be a bad time to start the SLAM?

You should be fine unless there is lightning... don't do anything in lightning lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK.. So here are the numbers, as best as I can tell:

FC - 0
CC - 0
PH - 8.0(+)
TA - 50
CH - 80
CYA - 0

I really expected to see SOME CYA.. I'm guessing that needs to be addressed before SLAM to provide a little protection for the Chlorine during the process, correct? I'll get some Muriatic Acid while I'm at it, to bring pH down a little... As far as CH and TA - I can ignore that for now and worry about it after the SLAM, correct?

I think first bring the PH down to 7.2ish... then I bet you are going to need to check for ammonia before adding CYA...

Someone has the steps but essentially add enough bleach to bring FC to 10 and recheck in 10 minutes. If FC is 5 or above, the you are ok. If it is almost gone, then you have to do the ammonia battle first :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can work on CYA and PH at the same time. The only two you cannot work on at the same time is FC and PH as chlorine and muratic acid do not play well together.

The others can wait like you thought. I would get the CYA up to 20 just in case there is some CYA in there. That is purrfect for a SLAM.

Work on the PH in small movements like aim for 7.8 at first. It might be higher than you thought so dose, run filter on high for about 15 mins. Test again and redo until you see it at 7.8 then push it down to 7.2 for the SLAM.

So we decided to dump 3 gallons of bleach into the pool... I saw an almost immediate change in the color from dark green, to light green in the shallow end.. Tested FC and it came up at about 18.. waited a little more than 10 minutes and retested... FC was 14...

What does that mean??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.