Pentair IntelliCenter

What other features will it provide though? Don’t really matter to me what’s on the panel if I’m just going to use a smart device anyway.

+1,000,000,000

Unless Pentair is embedding a direct WiFi access point connection to the unit (like what my $80 HP printer has!!!) and allowing customers to access diagnostic information (all the info one needs an IntelliWand for), then this is nothing more than window-dressing. My automation panel sits in hot direct sunlight for most of the day - color LCD touch displays are not known for their robust resistance to environmental wear & tear.

I think until Pentair releases the unit and we can all get a good look at the manual, we won't know too much (unless a Pentair Rep wants to weigh-in here). It might not be worth the upgrade for someone who already has an IntelliTouch or an EasyTouch. But for someone who is just now building or upgrading to Pool Automation, it would make sense to wait to see if the IntelliCenter is a more improved version over the other two. That is why I have installed the load center ONLY and will continue to use a clunky old school intermatic timer, light switch, etc, etc until Pentair releases the Intellicenter and I can make an educated comparison. I have automated the pool light however temporarily. I used a Lutron Caseta wireless smart switch that communicates with my Lutron Smart Bridge inside the house.. The LED pool light now comes on automatically 30 min after sunset and and turns off at a preset time. In addition I can control the pool light off/on and the scenes through the Lutron app or through one of the Amazon Echo's (Alexa).

I think until Pentair releases the unit and we can all get a good look at the manual, we won't know too much (unless a Pentair Rep wants to weigh-in here). It might not be worth the upgrade for someone who already has an IntelliTouch or an EasyTouch. But for someone who is just now building or upgrading to Pool Automation, it would make sense to wait to see if the IntelliCenter is a more improved version over the other two. That is why I have installed the load center ONLY and will continue to use a clunky old school intermatic timer, light switch, etc, etc until Pentair releases the Intellicenter and I can make an educated comparison. I have automated the pool light however temporarily. I used a Lutron Caseta wireless smart switch that communicates with my Lutron Smart Bridge inside the house.. The LED pool light now comes on automatically 30 min after sunset and and turns off at a preset time. In addition I can control the pool light off/on and the scenes through the Lutron app or through one of the Amazon Echo's (Alexa).

I thought about going that route as I am currently building, but saw how long its been in the making and wasn't sure my techie side could hold off that long without automation. After watching the trade show video about the Jandy Aqualink Infinity I really hope Pentair takes a couple pages out of their book. The hardware looks straight forward and the app looks 10x better and more user-friendly, but can still be powerful enough for the pool technician to utilize as their primary tool. I haven't heard many good things about Jandy's SWG otherwise I may have gone that route.

I thought about going that route as I am currently building, but saw how long its been in the making and wasn't sure my techie side could hold off that long without automation. After watching the trade show video about the Jandy Aqualink Infinity I really hope Pentair takes a couple pages out of their book. The hardware looks straight forward and the app looks 10x better and more user-friendly, but can still be powerful enough for the pool technician to utilize as their primary tool. I haven't heard many good things about Jandy's SWG otherwise I may have gone that route.
Try getting your Pentair rep's number from a pool store and give them a call. Maybe your rep will be a bit more forthright and give you a clue as to when Pentair might release the information on the Intellicenter. I didn't have a lot of luck with doing that myself. Still waiting........
icon_biggrin.gif

Try getting your Pentair rep's number from a pool store and give them a call. Maybe your rep will be a bit more forthright and give you a clue as to when Pentair might release the information on the Intellicenter. I didn't have a lot of luck with doing that myself. Still waiting........
icon_biggrin.gif

They are dealer reps, so you’d have to catch one in the mood to speak with an end user..

I just read earlier posts, the old guard at Pentair is up there in age, but he is also the one rooting for the launch. He will be up to play golf with us next month.

They are watching the other companies new automation fall on its face this season, collecting livid dealer feedback and revising the platform.

They are patient folks & want to release every dealers & users dream out of the gate.

I'm pretty sure Pentair's motto is... "Pentair's technology is like a fine wine"...

What they mean is that it has to sit on a shelf in a dark basement for 10 or 20 years before it can be released... :p

Jim R.

Wake me up when it has a built-in WiFi access point and they’re actually willing to allow end-users to have REAL diagnostic information access .... :sleep:

I’m lost on this thread. I have the Easy Touch 8 with ScreenLogic and it works freaking great. I can control anything on my pool with it and the app kicks butt. The scheduling works great as well changing pool pump speeds,etc. I have zero issues. It also functions flawlessly with Alex. it honestly couldn’t be any easier. I consider myself fairly “hi tech”. I don’t understand what else you want it to do?? As far as testing do you really want probes to do your water testing for you?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
B,

This thread has gotten off track a little since it started a long time ago.. Almost everyone here loves their Pentair systems and we are really just .. :poke: at Pentair for saying that they were going to release a new up-to-date system "soon" which has been well over a year ago...

I think better in our minds would mean it would be more up to date with today's technology and allow control by various off the shelf whole house automation systems.

From the troubleshooting point of view, they could do better. As an example, the SWCG either works or it don't. With a Hayward SWCG you can run through a whole page of diagnostics that can pinpoint the exact status of the system.

Don't take the comments here too seriously...:p

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

mazp,

Looks like a version of ScreenLogic for the IntelliCenter... Neat, but I see nothing that is obviously different in content.. and, at least my ScreenLogic actually has hardware that it can control... :p

Jim R.

Sorry about the legibility of the photos. Just screen captures. What I'm hearing is that the IC will be very similar to the IT w/screenlogic but with improvements. What improvements and how they are accomplished and how those improvements benefit the pool owner are the big unknowns. AND of course, what ever improvements are made, will they be worth the cost. Also, will the color screen be PRACTICAL, especially in the sun vs the IT buttons??? One question I have is, after the IC is released will the price of the IT and ET drop? If they do drop, then it may be worth someone like myself who is preparing to automate, to opt for the IT w/SL, especially if the tech improvements in the IC are not worth it. Here are a few more screenprints that I found. Sorry if they are not too clear. Oh yea, one of the RUMORS, that I heard locally is that interfacing (PC, Handheld devices, and Pentair wireless control devices) will be web-based. Much like what Honeywell (TotalConnectComfort) does for their smart thermostats, Hunter (Hydrawise), LightLogic etc.. But I don't if that is true or just rumor control.
2018-07-22_21-56-02.jpg 2018-07-22_21-57-30.jpg

They are dealer reps, so you’d have to catch one in the mood to speak with an end user..

I just read earlier posts, the old guard at Pentair is up there in age, but he is also the one rooting for the launch. He will be up to play golf with us next month.

They are watching the other companies new automation fall on its face this season, collecting livid dealer feedback and revising the platform.

They are patient folks & want to release every dealers & users dream out of the gate.
That would be great if you could share with us any new info that you might learn on the 19th hole :D

Just looking at the pics it appears that they have removed all the front panel buttons and replaced them with a touch screen display. I hardly ever use the buttons anyway, but I do have a hard time seeing the current LCD in the sun...

My guess is that this will replace the EasyTouch and IntelliTouch, as it does not makes manufacturing sense to me to have a third option.

Thanks,

Jim R.

So after reading through this thread is it the general consensus to use other home automation software to handle outdoor functions, with the exception of maybe your SWG ?

In my opinion, the EasyTouch is fine for controlling your pool functions, pool lights, landscape lighting and even an external robotic cleaner (Dolphin). ScreenLogic allows for Alexa support (maybe Google Home too, not sure) and so you would just integrate the ScreenLogic controls into some overall home control system.

Trying to automate your pool functions using general-purpose control systems that were not designed with pools in mind is just a huge hassle. You’d have to find custom switches and relays for various functions and then figure out how to get feedback. Why reinvent the wheel when there’s an out-of-box solution? People have done customized and complex Raspberry-Pi and/or Arduino control systems for their pools but it’s a huge undertaking that requires all sorts of customized components and programming....why bother unless that’s a hobby you’re really in to?

Remember, it’s a swimming pool...the point is to swim in it, not turn it into some kind of digital Frankenstein that needs constant baby-sitting....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.