Pentair IntelliCenter

Oh, and if Pentair decides to go down the road of intergrating their control system with “the Cloud” .... I’m out! I’ll rip the box off the wall and put in mechanical Intermatic timers. The only “clouds” I want to care about are the clouds in the sky!! Jandy and Hayward both do the cloud nonsense and you can read plenty of BAD reviews from unhappy customers when their cloud service decides to go out or their latest upgrade fails.

Oh, and if Pentair decides to go down the road of intergrating their control system with “the Cloud” .... I’m out! I’ll rip the box off the wall and put in mechanical Intermatic timers. The only “clouds” I want to care about are the clouds in the sky!! Jandy and Hayward both do the cloud nonsense and you can read plenty of BAD reviews from unhappy customers when their cloud service decides to go out or their latest upgrade fails.

But— I can shut & lock delinquent payers pools!!

that's what i'm seeing too. do you really even need a hand held remote these days that isn't a smart device? i mean u can get an android tablet for like 30 bucks that can run the app. if it falls in the pool throw it out and buy another. at least u can use it poolside for something other than the pool control. it looks so huge too.

i don't know how much more you can tech up easytouch or the panel. i don't want them anywhere near home automation. let them do what they know and that's pool equipment. let the companies like HAI and crestron handle the automation, but let them access to the API so we can get some nice modules with feedback that don't need to be hacked the heck out of.

jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looked over a manual for the Intellicenter wireless remote (https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1334157/Pentair-Ichndhld.html?page=13) and like others have said it sounds to have ScreenLogic functionality built-in with either an on-board wired ethernet port or assuming an optional wireless transceiver ran off this 24V wifi bridge port:

The Intellicenter brochure also states that the pool/spa combo controllers come with their Intellivalves now instead of the basic actuators:
https://www.pentair.com/content/dam.../pool-and-spa-equipment/IntelliCenter_Bro.pdf

I haven't hooked my ET up yet so don't know if any of this is different, but according to the wireless manual here is the menu structure:

IntelliCenter Control System Menu Structure

Home Screen:
-Pool Screen
-Spa Screen
-Features (Individual/Groups)
-Lights ((Individual/Groups)
-Schedule
-Usage
-Chemistry (IntelliChem / IntelliChlor SCG)
-Status
-Settings:
--Service Mode
--Vacation Mode
--Support
--General: (Location, Date & Time, Units, Features and Lights List Order, Backlight, Temperature Sensor Calibration, Day / Night Themes, Manual Operation Priority, Chemistry Readings Badge.
--Alerts and Notifications
--Security (Passcode Protect)
--Pentair User Portal
--Groups

Advanced System Configuration:

Installation Setup:
--Body Configuration,Circuits, Pumps, Heaters, Valves, Chemistry, Pool/Spa Cover.
--Remotes Setup (iS4, QuickTouch II, iS10, SpaCommand remotes
--Network and WIFI Setup: (Configure Ethernet, Configure Wireless Network).
--IntelliCenter Wireless Remote Setup
--Delays
System: System Information, Detected Hardware, System Diagnostic Information, Firmware Update (Update from Panel, Update from USB, Update from Ethernet), Factory Diagnostics.
Import/Export: Import System Configuration, Export System Configuration,
Export Status Logs, Export Historical Data, Export Debug Data.
Restore Factory Defaults
Setup Wizard: Step-by-step system configuration (takes approximately 15 minutes).

I too have heard through the grapevine that it is more like IntelliTouch with screenlogic functionality built in. I checked the Pentair site just now and there is nothing yet under resources, so no manual yet. The manual is what I really want to look at, not the pretty pictures with the sales hype. And I agree with Jimim. Not many of us I would presume, would want the wireless remote when you can just pull out a smart phone or give Alexa a voice command.
Let's see the manual with installation instructions.

https://pentairpool.com/en/products/automation/intellicenter#overview

Can't wait to see the palm tree grow out of my iPhone

I still use my EasyTouch remote and like it just fine. Sure it’s not as easy to program with but I rarely ever have to make significant program changes. Smartphone control is a great idea but ditch all the bricks and blocks of ScreenLogic and install a direct WiFi access point in the box. I don’t need to crowd up my router with anything else nor worry about anymore digital equipment flaking out because some arcane router setting isn’t enabled. Home automation is great but it’s gotten out of control in my opinion when you need a degree in Computer Science to own a home. I’m all fine with using a Smartphone to interact with the automation center but make the connection direct! Stop asking the customer to supply the router or the RJ45 connection or hang some additional “brick” on the box to make it work.

As I always say - my $85 HP printer has a wireless access point that allows my phone to connect to it anywhere I the house so, even if my router died, I can still print. And yet these guys can’t see fit to hire a couple of capable engineers to redesign their logic boards and make it happen.

Still. Not. Impressed.

I still use my EasyTouch remote and like it just fine. Sure it’s not as easy to program with but I rarely ever have to make significant program changes. Smartphone control is a great idea but ditch all the bricks and blocks of ScreenLogic and install a direct WiFi access point in the box. I don’t need to crowd up my router with anything else nor worry about anymore digital equipment flaking out because some arcane router setting isn’t enabled. Home automation is great but it’s gotten out of control in my opinion when you need a degree in Computer Science to own a home. I’m all fine with using a Smartphone to interact with the automation center but make the connection direct! Stop asking the customer to supply the router or the RJ45 connection or hang some additional “brick” on the box to make it work.

As I always say - my $85 HP printer has a wireless access point that allows my phone to connect to it anywhere I the house so, even if my router died, I can still print. And yet these guys can’t see fit to hire a couple of capable engineers to redesign their logic boards and make it happen.

Still. Not. Impressed.

Did you see the wifi bridge at the top of the diagram pictured above?

Did you see the wifi bridge at the top of the diagram pictured above?

Must have had an old version of the thread open when I posted (I got distracted with an irrigation leak this afternoon...nice geyser of water hitting my neighbors yard every time the “pots” zone turned on).

But that’s a wireless bridge connection. I guess what I’m after is more like a peer-to-peer connection directly to the box similar to how Bluetooth operates. I guess I’ll just stick with my trusty ole RF remote....it’s multifunctional as it doubles as a nice coaster for my iced beverages...

Just found on Pentair's "Tradegrade" page. Googled those model numbers but nothing associated with Pentair. I'm assuming some of those model numbers are various bundles. Those prices don't look very encouraging. :pth: Hopefully they will sell the standalone touchpanel and the boards. Otherwise it will be the IT with SL for me.
2018-08-02_10-29-18.jpg

Ya know, if you think about it, the wireless touch screen panel is probably useful as there is a very high probability in my mind that the color touchscreen on the outdoor panel is going to be a huge weak link and constantly bite the dust (unless they’re building it with MIL-SPEC grade components). So the in home touchscreen is a built in work around for a failed displayed. I get it that they could clone it onto a tablet or Smartphone but then .... no free advertising!

“Hey Jeff, what’s that gizmo hanging on the wall?”

“Hey Bob, why are you here in my home uninvited??”

“No reason Jeff, it’s an infomercial so nothing really makes sense.”

“Oh right, I guess that’s why Todd is hanging out on my deck chair...Hi Todd!!”

“Hey guys, what’s new?”

“Well, Jeff was just about to explain to me what that funny little box on his wall is...”

“Oh yeah, I was wondering what that was too when I was grabbing my Zima from the fridge.”

“Wow! Zima is so refreshing, isn’t it....so Jeff, what gives with the weird touchscreen?”

“Well Bob and Todd, it’s my brand new Pentair controller for the pool...it does everything!!”

[Bob and Todd in unison] “Coooooool beans dude!!”

If it’s just an App sitting on your smartphone, no one sees it....

Reactions: Soupy
Ya know, if you think about it, the wireless touch screen panel is probably useful as there is a very high probability in my mind that the color touchscreen on the outdoor panel is going to be a huge weak link and constantly bite the dust (unless they’re building it with MIL-SPEC grade components). So the in home touchscreen is a built in work around for a failed displayed. I get it that they could clone it onto a tablet or Smartphone but then .... no free advertising!

“Hey Jeff, what’s that gizmo hanging on the wall?”

“Hey Bob, why are you here in my home uninvited??”

“No reason Jeff, it’s an infomercial so nothing really makes sense.”

“Oh right, I guess that’s why Todd is hanging out on my deck chair...Hi Todd!!”

“Hey guys, what’s new?”

“Well, Jeff was just about to explain to me what that funny little box on his wall is...”

“Oh yeah, I was wondering what that was too when I was grabbing my Zima from the fridge.”

“Wow! Zima is so refreshing, isn’t it....so Jeff, what gives with the weird touchscreen?”

“Well Bob and Todd, it’s my brand new Pentair controller for the pool...it does everything!!”

[Bob and Todd in unison] “Coooooool beans dude!!”

If it’s just an App sitting on your smartphone, no one sees it....

You had me at Zima :laughblue:

The best was promotion was after a happy hour, a regionally loved dealer rep, took the podium &
abridged his pitch - “anybody who is anybody uses Pentair products, any questions?”

'nuff said...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.