SWG problem after Variable speed pump install

Oasisdave2

Apr 6, 2017
HEMET, Ca
I recently had a Pentair Variable Speed Pump installed by our local power company as the current pump I had qualified for and energy efficient replacement. The problem is that after the pump was replaced my Aqua Rite will read a salt level of 3400 and be running fine. I have the VSP set to run from 5-8 AM and then again from 12 noon to 2:30, the second run time is to allow the water to flow through the heater panels on my roof during full sunlight to warm the water. The issue is that after the first run time the Aqua Rite will throw flashing 'Check Cell' and Check Salt lights. It also shows the salt reading at 2200 and need to be reset. After resetting it runs fine again until the pump stops. I believe the issue is the same as the one found in this thread....

https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/29700-Aqua-Rite-and-Variable-Speed-Pump-Issue

There was also a solution posted here........

https://www.troublefreepool.com/thr...rol-IntelliChlor-IC40-w-Current-Control-Relay

All my equipment was previously connected to a simple Dial Timer Mechanism and the SWG was running fine. I also did clean the SWG so i'm pretty sure the errors are not due to any calcium build up. From what I understand from these two threads is that the only solutions would be to set up some kind of relay so the SWG only powers up when the pool pump is running or to install an automation unit which is quite a bit more $ than I want to spend. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this problem and found any other solutions as both of those threads are quite old.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Dave,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all your HEMET pool owners.. :shark:

What most people do is to use a simple Dial Timer (like you have or had) and let it power the SWCG, just for the time that you want to SWCG to be on.

The only downside to this is that you have to make sure that you sync the timer with the pump's operation, as you never want the pump to be off and the SWCG to have power.

As far as I know, there is no off the shelf device that will sense the pump current and then energize a relay to turn on the SWCG. Something that I assume could be built from available parts, but nothing that is plug and play.

Where or what is HEMET??? :confused:

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.