Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Return Jet creating Tornado and sucking noise at surface

1. Back To Top    #1

Return Jet creating Tornado and sucking noise at surface

Hey all,

My return jet causes a Tornado at the top of the water above the return jet. This creates a sucking noise that is unpleasant, it also causes top floating items that would normally go to the overflow box, to get sucked down and blown back out by the return jet.

Any advice on how to fix this issue? It would seeming be as if the return jet was too close to the surface, but it was predrilled in the pool wall. My water level is 1/2 way threw the skimmer box.

Thanks,

-ThaChad
    Trendium Pool Products Inc. (Vogue) - Azor 18' x 33' x 54" AGP - (15,700g)
    - Pentair Clean & Clear 150SQ/FT 1.5HP 2 Speed Cartridge Filter System (PNCC0150OF2160)
    - Hayward AquaTrol Salt Chlorine Generator (AQ-TROL-RJ)
    - Dolphin Nautilus with CleverClean

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Return Jet creating Venturi Tornado

Can you show us a picture of this return jet?

I'm unsure of what you mean when you say your water level is 1/2 way thru the overflow....Do you mean skimmer? Because my first suggestion is to raise your water level up so that this noisy return is under the water. Is that possible?

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Return Jet creating Tornado and sucking noise at surface

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Can you show us a picture of this return jet?

I'm unsure of what you mean when you say your water level is 1/2 way thru the overflow....Do you mean skimmer? Because my first suggestion is to raise your water level up so that this noisy return is under the water. Is that possible?

Yippee

Hello,

Thanks for the reply!

Yes I meant Skimmer. Sorry, we call it an Overflow in the Aquarium hobby..

My thought would also be to raise the water level, however My understanding was that the proper water level should be in the middle of the Skimmer, which is where it's at.

I currently have just the standard Eyeball. (Is there a better return jet to use?)

The Return Jet IS under water. I assume there is some sort of "Standard" as it came predrilled from the factory.

Thanks,

-ThaChad
    - Pentair Clean & Clear 150SQ/FT 1.5HP 2 Speed Cartridge Filter System (PNCC0150OF2160)

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Return Jet creating Venturi Tornado

You can raise it up to about 3/4 of the skimmer box and see if that improves the situation.

My next suggestion was going to be to add some PVC pipe to the return making its exit down in the water. It would entail a little creative play with PVC.

I take it that there are no valves you can adjust and is this the *only* return in your pool?

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    You can raise it up to about 3/4 of the skimmer box and see if that improves the situation.

My next suggestion was going to be to add some PVC pipe to the return making its exit down in the water. It would entail a little creative play with PVC.

I take it that there are no valves you can adjust and is this the *only* return in your pool?

Yip

That is correct. Only return. (Though I would have liked another return at the other end as it's along Oval pool)

I have a 2-state pump, but no valves. Would possibly a Larger eyeball be better? or would that cause there to not be enough flow/pressure to properly circulate the 33' long oval pool?

Thanks,

-ThaChad

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't know the answer to those last two questions.

Try raising the water level and lets see if that helps first before you go changing anything significant.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yep had that same problem with my new pool. Manual and installer said to fill halfway to the skimmer. I was like what is this horrible sucking noise, I thought I had an air leak or something. Finally after reading online, it suggested filling to 3/4 up on the skimmer box and that noise was gone.

And NO air bubbles whatsoever in my pump
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

8. Back To Top    #8

Also keep in mind, though it is rare, some skimmers are mounted too high or too low internally.
    (no idea why but it happens sometimes)

Mine was installed too high. If I have the water level at the half way marks on the opening, it starts
    to vortex and gasp for air.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

Also make sure the return jet is pointed down towards the bottom of the pool, at a 45 degree angle and away from the skimmer. This helps create a circular flow of the water, improving circulation and skimming.
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump

10. Back To Top    #10

is your return adjustable? just point it down a little if you are able to adjust, or like the earlier suggestions, just add some more water to your pool.
    Charles
    Coleman 16'x48"
    Intex 16" pump & Sand filter, Intex Robot Vacuum
    Hayward Wide Mouth Skimmer
    TF-100 Test Kit Magnetic Speed Stirer