Return Jet creating Tornado and sucking noise at surface

Sep 28, 2016
Central, Illinois
Hey all,

My return jet causes a Tornado at the top of the water above the return jet. This creates a sucking noise that is unpleasant, it also causes top floating items that would normally go to the overflow box, to get sucked down and blown back out by the return jet.

Any advice on how to fix this issue? It would seeming be as if the return jet was too close to the surface, but it was predrilled in the pool wall. My water level is 1/2 way threw the skimmer box.

Thanks,

-ThaChad

Re: Return Jet creating Venturi Tornado

Can you show us a picture of this return jet?

I'm unsure of what you mean when you say your water level is 1/2 way thru the overflow....Do you mean skimmer? Because my first suggestion is to raise your water level up so that this noisy return is under the water. Is that possible?

Yippee :flower:

Can you show us a picture of this return jet?

I'm unsure of what you mean when you say your water level is 1/2 way thru the overflow....Do you mean skimmer? Because my first suggestion is to raise your water level up so that this noisy return is under the water. Is that possible?

Yippee :flower:

Hello,

Thanks for the reply!

Yes I meant Skimmer. Sorry, we call it an Overflow in the Aquarium hobby..

My thought would also be to raise the water level, however My understanding was that the proper water level should be in the middle of the Skimmer, which is where it's at.

I currently have just the standard Eyeball. (Is there a better return jet to use?)

The Return Jet IS under water. I assume there is some sort of "Standard" as it came predrilled from the factory.

Thanks,

-ThaChad

Re: Return Jet creating Venturi Tornado

You can raise it up to about 3/4 of the skimmer box and see if that improves the situation.

My next suggestion was going to be to add some PVC pipe to the return making its exit down in the water. It would entail a little creative play with PVC.

I take it that there are no valves you can adjust and is this the *only* return in your pool?

Yip :flower:

You can raise it up to about 3/4 of the skimmer box and see if that improves the situation.

My next suggestion was going to be to add some PVC pipe to the return making its exit down in the water. It would entail a little creative play with PVC.

I take it that there are no valves you can adjust and is this the *only* return in your pool?

Yip :flower:

That is correct. Only return. (Though I would have liked another return at the other end as it's along Oval pool)

I have a 2-state pump, but no valves. Would possibly a Larger eyeball be better? or would that cause there to not be enough flow/pressure to properly circulate the 33' long oval pool?

Thanks,

-ThaChad

Yep had that same problem with my new pool. Manual and installer said to fill halfway to the skimmer. I was like what is this horrible sucking noise, I thought I had an air leak or something. Finally after reading online, it suggested filling to 3/4 up on the skimmer box and that noise was gone.

And NO air bubbles whatsoever in my pump

Also keep in mind, though it is rare, some skimmers are mounted too high or too low internally.
(no idea why but it happens sometimes)

Mine was installed too high. If I have the water level at the half way marks on the opening, it starts
to vortex and gasp for air.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.