Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Added DE to sand filter, wow

1. Back To Top    #1

Added DE to sand filter, wow

Our pool was a little cloudy, we didn't think much of it.(after you resurrected it from the dead aka swamp or algae) it is no big thing.
    We were picking up some more bleach when a guy was mentioning how much he loved his DE filter and how well it worked.

Our sand filter is a year old, we can't justify getting a new filter. I looked on here and found your info on adding DE to a sand filter. We add one cup of the slurry.(DE and Water mixed) I noticed that it went up a half a PSI. Hubby checked an hour or two later the pressure had doubled BUT, looking in the pool, our pool was crystal clear. I keep asking myself, why didn't we do this last season?

My question is will it hurt the sand filter if we add DE regularly?
    I have a 24ft round pool. 52in deep. 14k gallons. It has a sand filter. It is a chlorine pool that we got March, 2016. Above ground!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Added DE to sand filter, wow

Nope.

But you will have to re-add it when you backwash as that will discharge most of the DE.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Added DE to sand filter, wow

It won't hurt, but if your water is going from clear to cloudy then you are dealing with a chemistry problem rather than a filtration one. Properly maintained water should remain clear even with a sand filter.

JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath