Greetings from the Sunshine Coast, Australia!

Hi team and a BIG thank you to this amazing forum and helpful posts, articles and expert comments throughout this site!

As a new pool owner (< 2 months in), I've been on a steep learning curve and only recently found this forum - something I wish I had found sooner :)

After pump problems (previous owner installed a 12 m.o. cheap 0.5 HP for a 70,000L pool?? which quickly rusted & burnt out), I bit the bullet and installed an Onga Eco800 Variable which has been much better at circulating the water throughout the system. Brand new QX100 Cartridges due for delivery this week which will be great too.

Being in the Sunshine Coast in Queensland Australia, the weather has been hot (averaging 32 deg C) and very humid = perfect breeding climate for algae! Recently, the chlorine had dropped and I thought I'd better jump on this forum and read up on what to do. Got tests done (at a pool shop, as my test kit hadn't arrived) and was sold a bunch of chemicals, which I'll admit DID the job, but I'd rather try and tackle any future outbreaks more subtly with your assistance in future.

4/March results prior to giving the pool a kick-start: FC 2.5, CYA 50, TA 100, CH 50, Salt 5800, PH 8.0.

Advised to add: Acid 750ml (330g/L), Phosphate Lochlor Starver M 250ml, HotZone Algaecide 1.0L (47.6g/L Copper + 40g/L Benzalkonium Choride), Clarifier 250ml (Poly-Electrolyte) and 10% Liquid Chlorine 5L just to shock the algae.

6/March self-tested results (YAY! got my kit!) after adding the above on 4/March and giving the pool a good scrub, vacuum, clean cartridges on 5/March and running pump overnight: FC 8.5, CC 1.0, CYA (couldn't test - reagent playing up, but presume 50), TA 100, CH 50, Salt 5800, PH 7.6.

Water is crystal clear and amazing! Just need to keep it this way and REALLY appreciate any advice / pointers anyone can provide.

The SWG has been running on MAX (25g/hour) for 8 hours total 0300-0700hrs and 1700-2100hrs with the Pump on Medium 2400rpm (380L/min) since the low chlorine was identified, so will start to tweak the settings and test regularly (including PH overnight drop test too).

I am really excited to be part of this forum and to contribute myself, as my expertise grows.

Many thanks and keep up the great content!

OPM.

photo before chemicals & 18hrs after chemicals added but prior to vacuuming.

Attachments

• BEFA8E03-ABAC-47D3-ACB0-26747746996F-COLLAGE.jpg
    BEFA8E03-ABAC-47D3-ACB0-26747746996F-COLLAGE.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 35
Welcome! You are in the same position many of were in when you came to TFP - wishing you had found it sooner. It will take some time, but keep reading and asking questions and you'll be a confident pool owner/maintainer in no time.

Hi OPM an welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn to take control of your pool.

Firstly, well done on getting the a quality test kit but avoid the pool store in future at least for their 'free water testing' and the recommended but unnecessary pool chemicals. Apart from the liquid chlorine and acid can you ask for a refund for any unused chemicals or at least get a credit.

I'd also add that I would be surprised if you have really got on top of that algae with a quick 'shock' treatment (you may have given it a couple of body blows but not the knock out punch)- once your FC levels drop back to normal you may find it difficult to maintain your chlorine and the pool may turn cloudy again. We recommend an approach called a SLAM which is unfortunately a longer process but will ensure that you get rid of it for good.

Ask any other questions- there is a heap of help out there.

I would be surprised if you have really got on top of that algae with a quick 'shock' treatment (you may have given it a couple of body blows but not the knock out punch)- once your FC levels drop back to normal you may find it difficult to maintain your chlorine and the pool may turn cloudy again.

Thank you Jezza - I agree and can accept that the fight may not be over yet and will persist with testing & vacuuming as required. I appreciate the advice regarding the 'free pool shop tests' and look forward to my own testing abilities improving!

Welcome! You are in the same position many of were in when you came to TFP - wishing you had found it sooner. It will take some time, but keep reading and asking questions and you'll be a confident pool owner/maintainer in no time.

Thank you GaryT58 - there's a lot to learn but I am willing and able! Appreciate the warm welcome :)

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to TFP!

Thank you pooldv, it's great to finally be here!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.