Vegas OB! Just got plans back and need some feedback (pics included :) )

You need to be able to stand in by the filter and be able to open it and clean it. Is there a hose bib over there? I KNOW you are having a light put over there as well.

If you and Bear can fit through there side by side you should be good.

Kim:kim:

There is a hose bib right on the corner and I believe you can see it in the picture, it has a cover on it. And yes Kim your correct, I will have lighting I had the electrician wire two stubs above the area so I can have light on equipment and on backyard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That actually might not be a bad idea.

Also the side of my house is 4ft 7 inches wide and 10ft 5 inches long and that doesn't include a 3 ft cushion I left for my 2 AC units just in case someone needs to service them. Is this enough space for the equipment I will be getting?

So i have a few questions that i need help with as im trying to finalize the plan
1. Can anyone give me some feedback on adding extra jets in the spa? is it worth the extra cost of going from 6 to 10 or to 12? if you had to do it over again would you still add them.
2. looking for advice on how mini pebble feels on the spa bench? is it comfortable to sit on for a extended period of time or should i just tile the bench seats?
3. If im going for a 4ft shallow end what heights do i need to make sure my benches are at so when you sit its about chest to shoulder level?
4. if im doing a natural rock spill way in the spa how high should the spa be from the pool to give it a true waterfall look
Thanks for the help

2. looking for advice on how mini pebble feels on the spa bench? is it comfortable to sit on for a extended period of time or should i just tile the bench seats?
3. If im going for a 4ft shallow end what heights do i need to make sure my benches are at so when you sit its about chest to shoulder level?
4. if im doing a natural rock spill way in the spa how high should the spa be from the pool to give it a true waterfall look

2.The only worry I have about tile is sharp corners. There is always a chance of one tile being lifted a tiny little bit and becoming a "got ya". The mini pebble should be smooth but I really don't know so....

3.This will be a tricky one. You HAVE to talk water depth when dealing with this. The water should be halfway up the skimmer face. Some PB only think about floor to coping when talking/doing measurement. Sit on a chair. Have some one hold a tape measure from the seat of the chair to different places on your body and go from there.

4. Do you have a picture of what you are thinking of when you say "natural rock spill way". I THINK I know what you mean but want to make sure we are on the same page.

I see you changed the number of lights. 3 should be plenty. I think I would move the one in the shallow end a little closer to the steps/shelf so it is well lit at night.

I don't see any lights by the raised area. Will you have electric run to that area at all? There are many pretty pole lights you could be there if you don't want to do lights in the bench.

If the AC techs have enough room to service your AC units there should be room for the pool equipment. You can ask them to be "creative" and put the pipe with valves where they are facing the opening instead of the wall and that will save you some room between them and the wall.

Each spa jet requires about 15GPM or so of water flow to operate properly. Once you go much beyond 6 jets few pool pumps can handle that kind of flow rate especially with filter and heater head loss in the plumbing. If you want to go above 6 jets, you might need to put them on a separate plumbing loop with their own pump. That adds greatly to the cost and complexity of the pool equipment.

(Hence the reason why I think attached spas are not really worth it - not very therpuetic ;-) )

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's looking awesome Will! Just a couple quick comments, take them with that proverbial grain of salt..;)

First, my equipment was installed with 4' 6" between the structure and the wall. It is "tight", but I don't think I'll have any problem with normal maintenance (filter cleaning and the like) However, if the heater had to be R&R'd, it's going to take two guys to manually carry it out of there. So, if that day comes, it won't be DIY. The other tradeoff for this location is the plumbing isn't as pretty as some of the pieces of art I see on some of the builds here on the forum. My discussions with the plumbers and the PB was it was the best they could do with the space. (mine was also even more constrained by the footing from the perimeter wall extending out nearly 2'. (hard dirt, and I think they chose to go "out" rather than "down" when they built the wall. But, this is the most out of the way place for the equipment for my design, and after spending 23 years with the equipment 5' away from the pool in our previous house, I'm hoping this outweighs the negatives. I won't know for sure for about 3 years though...;)

I also agree with just a PB on bumping the upper right corner of the pool out more. Our old pool had a bump out (more pronounced as it was smaller) and it really seemed to narrow down the pool when you were in it. And that would give you more pool with very little cost increase. And as a side benefit, it would make your planter area smaller...which reduces the amount of yard work/maintenance and increases time to play in the pool (win-win right?)

And while we're looking at the back wall, have you considered your landscaping? I'm assuming you'll be going with the typical Las Vegas plants surrounded by rocks as ground cover? If so, I might consider raising the beam up at least 6" on the back side so you have a physical barrier to keep rocks from falling into your pool. You could even step it up, and add a sheer descent water feature to break up the long wall, if you didn't like that look. I could bore you with my years of constantly fishing grass, rocks, and peaches out of a pool where I didn't think about those things, but then I might start to sound too repetitive...;)

Since I've craftily moved from "pool" to "landscaping" (sorry!) something to consider is at least installing some extra bare conduit/sch 40 pvc pipe underneath/through any decking/walls before you pour it. That way you have a place to run water, sprinkler wire, speaker wire, low voltage light wire, etc without digging up that fresh, beautiful concrete you just laid down. (If only the city would learn that little trick when they install streets huh?) If you've already thought about this, just ignore it, and hope someone else will read it, and it'll save them some heartburn down the road..;)

Have fun, it's a big project!

Each spa jet requires about 15GPM or so of water flow to operate properly. Once you go much beyond 6 jets few pool pumps can handle that kind of flow rate especially with filter and heater head loss in the plumbing. If you want to go above 6 jets, you might need to put them on a separate plumbing loop with their own pump. That adds greatly to the cost and complexity of the pool equipment.

This is exactly what my PB told me when we were discussing my wife's concern that our 7 x 10 spa only had six pipes coming out of the wall. He said he could add more if we wanted, but they would not be as effective (we also have a long run from spa to pump). He felt the only way to add more would be the separate plumbing/pump route. After looking at his, and one of my neighbors in action (both about the same size), the wife decided she would be happy with 6 jets, and to save the money.

2.The only worry I have about tile is sharp corners. There is always a chance of one tile being lifted a tiny little bit and becoming a "got ya". The mini pebble should be smooth but I really don't know so....

3.This will be a tricky one. You HAVE to talk water depth when dealing with this. The water should be halfway up the skimmer face. Some PB only think about floor to coping when talking/doing measurement. Sit on a chair. Have some one hold a tape measure from the seat of the chair to different places on your body and go from there.

4. Do you have a picture of what you are thinking of when you say "natural rock spill way". I THINK I know what you mean but want to make sure we are on the same page.

I see you changed the number of lights. 3 should be plenty. I think I would move the one in the shallow end a little closer to the steps/shelf so it is well lit at night.

I don't see any lights by the raised area. Will you have electric run to that area at all? There are many pretty pole lights you could be there if you don't want to do lights in the bench.

If the AC techs have enough room to service your AC units there should be room for the pool equipment. You can ask them to be "creative" and put the pipe with valves where they are facing the opening instead of the wall and that will save you some room between them and the wall.

Good call on the shallow light, will be fixing that now.
In the raised area I was thinking about putting lights in the bench. Later today I will post a picture of what the raised area will look like. In the meantime could you post an example of a pole light and where i can find one. I'm very curious about this.
Type of spillway I'm going for

Beachy that is one of my favs!!! Yes that is what I am talking about. There are SO many to pick from. I just love that look!

I worry about the lights on the bench shining in people's eye in the spa. Maybe if they are very soft, low lights it will not be a problem. To me you would want the area lit with a soft glow instead of a bright light. I would also make sure I could turn them off if you wanted.

My spa is 6' x 8' and I have 9 jets fed by a 2hp pump and a blower for bubbles. It'll bounce you around pretty well . . .

Big if you had to do it again would you still have 9 jets? I just want to make sure it's worth it and I'm going to get the most bang for my buck.
And does it make a huge difference from 6 jets to 9 if I'm just using it to relax and relieve some sore muscles (I was a athlete in my younger years and had a few surgeries, I'm healthy but I still hit the gym hard)

Ok so here are the looks I'm going to do
Raised spa( is my height tall enough to give me a rushing water effect)

Spa seating area(this will be exactly what we will do minus the colors and fire pit)

Fire place along the wall ( we will make the seating straight across instead of curved)

And the grill will be a L shape

Ok beach so you have no joined the ranks of Kim and are sending me further into the poor house lol. I showed my wife the lights and we are ordering a pair and just submitted to have our plans redone so we can add extra electrical around the yard.

funny thing is before this site I was going for a basic pool no spa and now I'm probably going to be into my project another 15-20k with all the nice things I see here..... is there a way to say no and not try to incorporate everyone's fancy ideas :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.