laughlin,nv
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Good...morning I guess. Just thought I'd get this thing started. We are going to do this O/B thing in and around March. In the process of figuring out how to fill a big dirt area with something a little less dirty. We won't be moving in for a few more weeks, in fact as of right now I really only own a full patio and some cabinets. The rest should be ours in a bit. Have had a couple of quotes from quote/unquote professional builders, one came in at 80 some K! That ain't gonna happen. I am going to do my best to pay maybe 41K for a new pool. That is my goal, if I can figure a way to kick out the wife and daughter for awhile, I just may get it done!
Wish me luck...

dirt.jpg

It does not get blanker than that! LOL

Do you know if you want freeform or geometric?

I know you can save some money doing it OB but..........that much?? It will be interesting to see if you can do it. I am willing to help spend your money for you and see what we can come up with!

Kim:kim:

I know with the fiberglass pool manufacturer I used (talman pools), they had an assisted install program that they say could save you big $. With that program they work with your excavator to give dig plans, they come and do the install of pool itself, all for modest fee. That way you know most important part (foundation) was done correctly, and they then honor a really good warranty. Maybe there are similar ones around you if you want to consider fiberglass.

The problem is that it is too blank. At our current house, the pool can only go in one spot, with this yard it could go anywhere. I think there will be some "Ugh's!" in our future...

I paid under 40k for my pool. The biggest savings point was deleting the spa. It saved over 20k, maybe 25k, simplified equipment and plumbing a lot. I bought a standalone hot tub a little later for 5500 bucks or so. It is more comfortable, more efficient, always warm, covered and ready to jump in and it is 10 feet from the door on a screened porch. No rain, no skeeters, there is a TV and very close to the beer fridge.

The tough part here in Laughlin are contractors. Most from Bullhead City do not have business licenses for Nevada. Some will work here, but any issues you have there is no official recourse (ie contractors board). The contractors from Las Vegas are expensive and typically will not travel down here. The two pool builders we looked at were Aquatic and Colorado River Landscape, both from Bullhead City. Neither have Nevada business licenses. We pulled our own permit (as O/B) and then used Colorado River Landscape. They did OK, but became very unresponsive towards the end and thus I did not make a final payment and they did not complain. Cost with full landscape (front and back yard), paver patio around pool, full outdoor kitchen, and all Pentair equipment with automation (ET4) was $45K. Pool is a San Juan fiberglass. Ok, but had some stress cracks and the repairs they did are not the best aesthetically.

Good luck.

The tough part here in Laughlin are contractors. Most from Bullhead City do not have business licenses for Nevada. Some will work here, but any issues you have there is no official recourse (ie contractors board). The contractors from Las Vegas are expensive and typically will not travel down here. The two pool builders we looked at were Aquatic and Colorado River Landscape, both from Bullhead City. Neither have Nevada business licenses. We pulled our own permit (as O/B) and then used Colorado River Landscape. They did OK, but became very unresponsive towards the end and thus I did not make a final payment and they did not complain. Cost with full landscape (front and back yard), paver patio around pool, full outdoor kitchen, and all Pentair equipment with automation (ET4) was $45K. Pool is a San Juan fiberglass. Ok, but had some stress cracks and the repairs they did are not the best aesthetically.

Good luck.

Thanks for the Info! Main reason for going at it myself was that the Vegas builders charge way too much to come down here. I think it's going to be slow going for the next few weeks just trying to get myself on course. Will do my best to keep posting...

It does not get blanker than that! LOL

Do you know if you want freeform or geometric?

I know you can save some money doing it OB but..........that much?? It will be interesting to see if you can do it. I am willing to help spend your money for you and see what we can come up with!

It's going to be interesting that is for sure. I want to a freeform gunite, my biggest thing is that I want it to be raised a bit. I just don't want a pool on a flat backyard. I've seen a couple of posts regarding raised pools and how they had to support the guides with plywood. That seems to be the direction I'm going in. Just don't know if I have to do that myself or a excavator could do it...?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One thing is for sure. The pool will be located somewhere in the backyard. Check that off the ten thousand point check list.
Here is kinda what we're going for.

pooldesigns.jpg

It sounds like you have a LOT to learn LOL. I do suggest you do some reading here and following some build threads to see who did what so you at least can figure that part out.

I like the idea of it being raised. That adds a neat element to it. This will be fun to do and help on!

I've come to realize that too many people have really nice pools. I hate/love Google. I want our pool to look like theirs, and theirs, and theirs with bit of theirs and its gotta have one of those and it just wouldn't be a pool without that!!! How on Earth are we going to get a design even done?! How on Earth has anybody ever completed this process?! We may end up with a doggy pool after all....:confused::)

I'm currently OBing a pool/raised spa where I just finished Coping/Tile phase and am about to begin decking. I will say that building a pool/spa combo for 41k is going to be difficult. You will be buying the least expensive of everything and there will be absolutely no "Bells and Whistles". No automation, minimal lighting, minimal spa jets, white plaster, very little decking etc.

If budget is an issue, I'd recommend waiting and building the pool that you and your family will grow into or just start the pool and don't rush to finish it as you will definitely find add-ons along the way that will increase the cost.

I'm currently OBing a pool/raised spa where I just finished Coping/Tile phase and am about to begin decking. I will say that building a pool/spa combo for 41k is going to be difficult. You will be buying the least expensive of everything and there will be absolutely no "Bells and Whistles". No automation, minimal lighting, minimal spa jets, white plaster, very little decking etc.

If budget is an issue, I'd recommend waiting and building the pool that you and your family will grow into or just start the pool and don't rush to finish it as you will definitely find add-ons along the way that will increase the cost.

The 41K is a goal. Most of the time goals are never met, but I had to start somewhere. Equipment list is already over 10K by itself, so with that said it's going to be one rockin' foot-deep dog pool...:splash:

I've come to realize that too many people have really nice pools. I hate/love Google. I want our pool to look like theirs, and theirs, and theirs with bit of theirs and its gotta have one of those and it just wouldn't be a pool without that!!! How on Earth are we going to get a design even done?! How on Earth has anybody ever completed this process?! We may end up with a doggy pool after all....:confused::)

I SO feel your pain! "I like this and this and this........" on and on!

Take what you really like and draw it out. We will help you pick what works best for you and your yard.

:hug:

First step is complete for our new pool. Bought the house... Signed papers yesterday should get keys on Tuesday. Pretty much had to get that done before spending money on a pool.:whoot:

Okay. This is going to be a project. Have spent the last month or so designing, reworking, redesigning, editing and modifying a pool plan that I think will fit our family. Pretty much have a plan worked up, photoshop'd like a mofo. Found a guy that will do the excavating/framing/rebar; just have to pay him labor, and me buy the materials. Sounds like a great deal, but when I factor in that I have to buy everything, rent backhoe, insurance? etc. it might not be our best option. Although found a steel co. locally that costs 1/4 of what a Home Depot would cost. That made me feel happy. Have some good subs lined up to talk to this week. Downloaded the HOA (can i please do this) letter, will be sending that mother may I this week. Spent $10 on wood stakes to visualize the pool, $4 on black spray paint to outline pool edge. So far running total is $14, well under the $30K budget...
PS: wife doesn't understand my thinking. LOL

It is VERY possible to build a pool/spa for under 45k and maybe even under 40k depending on the subs that are available in your area. I live in Vegas and you can take a look at my thread and my entire build is under 45k, also on page 5 I believe I listed all my quotes including equipment which I went top of line pentair and automation. Feel free to PM me anytime and I will help anyway I can, also I have a designer that MANY have used here that can design your pool without you having to travel out to Vegas or him to you.
Be patient and diligent it will work out easier than you think. God speed

Will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.