New florida build-2nd go around!

Agd38

Mar 14, 2014
Tampa
Hey folks, I received tremendous help in the past on my previous build and wanted to thank you for that! We recently moved to a newer home last year with a beautiful deep conservation sunset views . What I miss most about my last home was the pool we built and the outdoor living area to go with it. Fortunately the buyers of our previous home loved our backyard just as much and offered near asking which covered all costs, go figure....
Based on my new homes yard dimensions and yard grade slope of approx 40", our first wish list option was a pool going out 16 x 30' with 18" pedestals waterbowls ideally with infinity edge to maximize the deck space of approximately 1500 and the view. Unfortunately the costs were way high...So we decided to end the decking prior to the yard slope etc and caddy corner a freeform pool to maximize the space we had for maximum decking and future kitchen etc...So here we go again...
Please feel free to comment on any additions or any recommendations as you see fit here...
We just signed so changes should not be an issue as permitting should take about a month.
I plan on incorporating the landscape in the design for side privacy, will have to move some stuff around though.

Pool-will upload pic soon :eek:
15 x19(widest) by 30' freeform-Shotcrete
14k gallons
11 x 6 sunshelf-2 bubblers/1 umbrella
12' overall 12" raised pool beam split face travertine with 3' sheer descent (2)1' 6" step up tile front and back.
(4) returns
(1) dedicated vacuum line
pebble sheen-blue surf finish
travertine coping
Equipment-
Hayward 1500 filter cartridge
t-15 salt chlorinator
Multi-2HP Super2 Hayward Pump
Heat Pro 140k BTU HEAT pump
2 2" drains
Hayward color logic led
Automation
automatic overflow valve at skimmer.
Deck-
approximately- 1200 sq ft of travertine(roman blend) French pattern--not finalized
47' x 30' area
footers for pool enclosure
13-16' mansard bronze with panoramic rear window superscreen mesh, doggy door.

backyard_view_zpsz4asmnjf.png

backyard_overhead_zpsxem0x4x4.png

Woohoo! Another Florida friend. I love your house and yard. Although the neighbors blue house is um, interesting.

Everything sounds good! Our French pattern travertine started to get laid today and I LOVE it! The only criticism I would have is on the size of the shelf. An 11x6 free form shelf is likely much less than 11x6. We just built a 11x7 rectangle shelf and after coping was installed it looks tighter than expected. We can still easily get two chairs on there or let our 3 kids play in it, but it's not huge like it felt when they laid it out in our yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kim,
Thanks!
Here is the initial design. thinking of moving the deep end bench to the opposite wall by the 4' deck marker area. Also may take grumpiebk advice on expanding the width of the sunshelf from 6' to about 8ft by bringing it in a little closer to lanai. It may be hard to tell, but the left far side of the pool has the 12' span of 12" wall with (2) 1' step up's at 6" to 10' span of 12" in split face travertine. Once rendered, I will post more pics :)

pool_design_2017_zpsdcobr9ai.jpg
[/URL]

LOVE this design already! It will be fun to watch your tweak it due to our ideas!

For your cage you will want one of the door to be a double door. Some things just will not fit through a single door several others have found. This is a very common change made that is much cheaper to do it now instead of after the fact.

Kim:kim:

I love your design. So very similar to our original free form design! I didn't see anything in your post regarding pool depth. We chose a sports pool with deep end in the middle and we ran into code problems in Palm Beach County with the shelf connected to the stairs like you have (the steps were too close to the main drain in the middle of our pool). We wound up completely changing our design because the connected shelf and steps were important for us with our kids and we didn't want to compromise on the shelf layout or depth profile. Something worth checking if you are also planning on a deep middle.

I love your design. So very similar to our original free form design! I didn't see anything in your post regarding pool depth. We chose a sports pool with deep end in the middle and we ran into code problems in Palm Beach County with the shelf connected to the stairs like you have (the steps were too close to the main drain in the middle of our pool). We wound up completely changing our design because the connected shelf and steps were important for us with our kids and we didn't want to compromise on the shelf layout or depth profile. Something worth checking if you are also planning on a deep middle.

Hey we are doing a 3 1/2-5 1/2 depth. I am torn on the sun shelf bench and steps positioning. trying to hug the wall somewhat then take up more space going out.Received a screen quote today-ouch! Need a couple bids to compare pricing.

Latest rendering of pool. sunshelf is 8 x 11. We are in permitting phase and expect breaking ground in about a month.
the pool will measure 15 x30 x 20 in the middle inclusive of sunshelf.
I added the raised 12" wall for the shear descent.
The screen walls are in the rendering for placement, it is not a fence :)
I plan a future kitchen where the sectional couch is placed- L shaped.
I would welcome any opinions and/or suggestions :)

pool_redesign_zpslyt8v0qe.jpg

pool_sunshelf_zpskd88cm5l.jpg

pool_steps_zpserbssjhp.jpg

pool_siderear_zpst3sorepg.jpg

pool_overhead_zpsv2mckgus.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You did a nice job of designing a space that has multiple zones to it!

One thing I am afraid I might regret is having 3 steps in a 3.5" water depth shallow end. It works out to be 12" per step which feels steep to the eye and to the legs without any water in it. For comparison, many indoor stairs are 8" rise. My PB assured me it was within code (it's the max code allows here in Palm Beach) and that it will not be that noticeable with water in it due to the buoyancy effect. I am sure I didn't want a 3' deep shallow end, but I can't help wondering if I should have went with 4 steps to be sure. You might just want to ask your PB about this to get their opinion before the gunite is shot.

I am assuming you are going with a 6" deep shelf so all of the steps are just about even?

LOVE IT! There are so many things right with it! Nice job! I can't wait to see it started!

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim! I've attached our original design here a 16x30 size. We liked it better due to extra decking, long view to conservation etc...just didn't like the additional costs for the pool retaining walls screen decking. We have a slope yard so the current design allows for savings over 10k
8966afcd19b2032caec289b48b4eb586.jpg

THANKS! I angled the pool to the point of maximizing the deck space to allow for that. We had to accommodate the screen placement, maintaining the privacy with existing landscaping and equipment pad. Unfortunately we have to place the equipment pad in line with the a/c on the back of the house per codes.I will certainly ask the PB about a 4th step in the 3.6" area, I would say at least 6"-9" to allow a lounger. thanks for the advise :)

The day has arrived, broke ground made a few tweaks in size due to larger deck area on right side. Also going to expand pool beam wall from -10-16' on left corner[emoji3]
4d1254d37582f3472fdd18f125023a00.jpg
f6f52721fd7500f539906832eaa4a77e.jpg
d1ba9fda17cd6233c4b2bdc6f83b4d4d.jpg

Thanks, we were trying to maximize the deck space by angling the freeform. Not showing above but I had already removed some large hedges to add another 6ft of decking :) We will be adding a mansard 13' to 16' bronze screen with a panoramic 26' opening centered from lanai. Too much wildlife and bugs. Will be adding the Twitchel superscreen which is a polyester blend that is a little tighter at 17/20. I had it on my last screen and kept about all out. I attached an example of pano opening, although I will need to include a chair rail due to the height of screen wall at 13'
cb79d94f12a8da03dde8b5d1c8c1bae7.png

How cool! I have never seen one with a pano opening before. I'm in FL too, so I understand the bugs and wildlife struggle, especially in the summer time with the mosquitoes. I'm sure the pano opening will make the patio feel more open. I can't wait to see the pictures of your build as it moves along!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.