Gday from Sydney

buballodingo

Bronze Supporter
Jan 2, 2017
Sydney NSW
Gday all,
Michael from Sydney. Its always funny you only find out about great forums like this until you know what hits the fan :).

Being pool schooled at the moment. One thing I noticed is that data is relevant to fibreglass, vinyl or plaster. Whats the closest match to a fully tiled pool?

I have the same problem and many australians it seems when it comes to pool test kits, both the NQ and the Clear choice labs are out of stock and have requested when they will be getting some in, until then I am struck with the pool shop. The K2006C is just too expensive.

Had a mustard algae problem and although the water is clear I think it is still there. The pool shop only measures chlorine to 10 so cant know if I am SLAMing the pool properly and am just guestimating at the moment.

But the forums are right, I was duped into using a tropiclear algecide and since then (2 weeks ago) the amount of chemical recommendations and purchases I have made to rebalance the pool has brought me here.

My current readings are:
Total Chlorine 10 (max measure by pool shop)
Free Chlorine 10 (max measure by pool shop)
pH 7.5
TA 70
Hardness 175
Stabiliser (CYA) 50

I was told my CYA was fine. From readin here I understood 70-80 is the target I told them I had a SGW and still no budge from them?

Whilst I dont have testing gear are there any recommendations of waht to do apart from what I think which is:

Raise my CYA to 70-80 and follow the SLAMing proceedure?

CHeers and thanks for a great place to vent my frustrations :)

welcome to TFP
without a decent test kit you are probably better off flipping a coin
you could try taking a sample to every pool store in your area and then averaging the results
if you add an equal amount of distilled water to your pool sample then have pool store measure
then double everything they say
one trip to the pool store will cost the same as a test kit
when i need to use pool store i tell them" i have heaps of chemicals at home i bought from you a couple of months ago not sure exactly what so i dont need anything right now bit will come back if i need to"
you would use the values for a plaster pool as the grout between the tiles is plaster

Thanks Aussieta and hi there pooldv.

Bit the bullet and bought a non saltwater test kit from clearchoice which was in stock. I can test the salt some how separately by the pool shop or bunnings if I have to until they ket some more stock in. At least this will give me a head start on the SLAMing. I also went with them because it was express post so hopefully get it in next day or two as opposed to waiting a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the information though as I will save the seller for future reference.

The CCL kit will serve you well. It's called a freshwater kit only because it doesn't have the hydrometer for salt (the out of stock part). Everything else is the same. You can pick up some salt test strips which are good for about +/- 400 ppm

Having your CYA at 50 ppm is OK for now, especially until after your SLAM. Raising CYA beyond 50 ppm can be thought of as fine-tuning, and will help you get the most from your SWC. Some people run it even higher than 70/80 but only after they're totally sure algae is annihilated, and they have a good handle on TFPC.

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)